upgrade with better reverb

12
ken

upgrade with better reverb

ken
I would like to upgrade my setup which is currently the following:
Jorgan version 3.15, using resident fluidsynth reverb
running on Inspiron Dell computer, 64bit,  6gigRAM Windows Vista
soundcard is Emu 1212PCI which is a1010 PCI card with 0202 daughter board
currently have 2 keyboards plus pedal
1 keyboard is connected via Midi to Emu card
1 keyboard is connected via USB2 slot
Pedalboard is connected via USB2 slot running on a PIC controller and Midibox DIN card

This all works, but the sound with the reverb is very tinny sounding, especially on the high end.
The Fluidsynth Reverb seems to sustain the highs and not the lows--not natural for sure.

What would be the best upgrade match, I guess with Jorgan version 3.19? I'm especially interested
in a a better reverb system? From what I learn while reading the forum, a convolution reverb would
be a lot better. What is the best seemless match to get this going? Been using the current setup since
August. Would also like this to work with free versions of Hauptwerk. Is this possible? There are too many
possible options available for me to figure out.  Been using present setup since Aug. Thanks, Ken Barta

Σχετ: upgrade with better reverb

Panos K. Ghekas
Hi Ken,

I proposed  a coupla years back the excellent REVERBERATE LE from liquid sonics (only 32 bit VST)
Has many IR very usefull in our jO setups and it received much acceptance from jO users.
It's "kinda" free (asks for donation from time to time, but it's actually free.

Two other options :

Freeverb 3  and Hybrid reverb II which has the largest free IR library to dowaload if you like (380MB or so..)
Both free.
Freeverb 3 has like Reverberate LE zero latency but it's a bit ubstable on 64bit systems as Teru hasn't got a similar environment to test
Hybrid is special but has a little latency and it can be noticed on live play situations. For remixing is great too.

You got to use Savihost to make Reverberate LE a stand alone app and then use Jack for mixing audio

Have fun
Best
Panos

Απο: ken <[hidden email]>
Προς: [hidden email]
Στάλθηκε: 10:38 μ.μ. Τρίτη, 12 Μαρτίου 2013
Θέμα: [jOrgan-user] upgrade with better reverb

[...]

Re: upgrade with better reverb

Hello Ken

What dispositions are you using?

I agree with your comment:  "Fluidsynth reverb seems to sustain the
highs and not the lows."

In the "Christie" (Theatre Organ) disposition I have created separate
instances of Fluidsynth to allow different Fluidsynth reverb settings
for ranks played by the pedals to ranks played by the keyboards.
http://www.tosa-qld.org/VTPO/

For me this has made a most enjoyable improvement, without the need to
run added software and complex virtual connections.

On 13/03/2013 6:38 AM, ken wrote:

> I would like to upgrade my setup which is currently the following:
> Jorgan version 3.15, using resident fluidsynth reverb
> running on Inspiron Dell computer, 64bit,  6gigRAM Windows Vista
> soundcard is Emu 1212PCI which is a1010 PCI card with 0202 daughter board
> currently have 2 keyboards plus pedal
> 1 keyboard is connected via Midi to Emu card
> 1 keyboard is connected via USB2 slot
> Pedalboard is connected via USB2 slot running on a PIC controller and
> Midibox DIN card
>
> This all works, but the sound with the reverb is very tinny sounding,
> especially on the high end.
> The Fluidsynth Reverb seems to sustain the highs and not the lows--not
> natural for sure.
>
> What would be the best upgrade match, I guess with Jorgan version 3.19? I'm
> especially interested
> in a a better reverb system? From what I learn while reading the forum, a
> convolution reverb would
> be a lot better. What is the best seemless match to get this going? Been
> using the current setup since
> August. Would also like this to work with free versions of Hauptwerk. Is
> this possible? There are too many
> possible options available for me to figure out.  Been using present setup
> since Aug. Thanks, Ken Barta

> .

Re: upgrade with better reverb

Hi Ken,

At this point in your audio journey you are branching out into a
modular approach, where you will need to connect the audio stream from
Fluidsynth into a reverb application and then onto your EMU soundcard.
Many of us have already done this, and are enjoying the benefits, so
you are in very good company!

We do this using the Jack Audio Connection Kit. See
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_Jack_Audio_Connection_Kit_in_Windows
for information on downloading, installing, and configuring the Jack
Audio Connection Kit on your PC.

And yes, you will need to get the latest jOrgan 3.19 version, download
it from http://sourceforge.net/projects/jorgan/files/jorgan-installer/3.19/

Do you know if you are running JAVA in 32-bit or in 64-bit?

You will also need to download and unpack the Fluidsynth-dsound.jack
backend from http://sourceforge.net/projects/jorgan/files/fluidsynth/

(See http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_PortAudio_driver_in_the_Fluidsynth_Extension
for more information about using the Fluidsynth backends)

We then have quite a few options regarding what Reverb application to
use, but almost all of them will involve the use of the Virtual Studio
Technology (VST) plugin architecture. This means that we need a VST
host application to run the plugin. I see that Panos has already
listed three of the free reverb applications. See the Tutorial at
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Using_Jack_Connections_with_VST_Effects
for an overview of how to use the Reverberate LE application.

I think start with upgrading jOrgan to 3.19 so that we know whether
you are using 32-bit or 64-bit JAVA, and then install and configure
the Jack Audio Connection Kit, add the dsound.jack Fluidsynth backend,
and then test things before adding a reverb application.

Kind regards,

Re: Slightly O/T upgrade with better reverb

RoyR
Hi, Graham,

                    With all these rapid Windows developments going on are you still doing Puppy things with them these days?

Re: Slightly O/T upgrade with better reverb

grahamg
Hi Roy,

Yes :)

I just need a bit more spare time to get the final bits together for the next version of jOrgan Pup, perhaps the Easter long weekend will bring the needed hours necessary to put all the pieces together for a jOrgan 3.19 with Fluidsynth 1.1.6 jOrgan Pup CD image release.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On Wednesday, March 13, 2013, Roy Radford wrote:
Hi, Graham,

                    With all these rapid Windows developments going on are you still doing Puppy things with them these days?

Update - Christie for V3.19 with new skin

greenfox
Hi Everyone,

I have posted an update of the Christie jOrgan disposition for jOrgan
Version 3.19
http://www.tosa-qld.org/VTPO/

The big news is a new skin!  Graham Wykes has created a set of
photo-realistic theatre organ tabs.

They are stunning!

ken

Re: Slightly O/T upgrade with better reverb

ken
Hi; Thanks for remarks; I have the following,
Java 6 update 37. How do I check for 32 or 64 bit?
Is there a better version?  There have been reports of problems with Java 7!
I'm using the following dispositions:

English Cathedral 1.04_FS
ACO 5.03 4P-104_FS
Chrisie_fs_3MP 315.01
Sound system is stereo Onkyo receiver with
    Cambridge speakers and subwoofer

I tried to download Savihost but got an error message in German.
Have downloaded instead Softpedia VST host 1.52.

Thanks, Ken

On 3/13/2013 6:45 AM, Roy Radford wrote:
Hi, Graham,

                    With all these rapid Windows developments going on are you still doing Puppy things with them these days?

Re: Slightly O/T upgrade with better reverb

Hi, Graham,

                   Thanks for your reply.

  OK, I'll give it a go when it appears. I've been a bit out of things lately so I'll have to do a bit of revision on Puppy How To lore!   *:) happy

Re: Slightly O/T upgrade with better reverb

Hi Ken,

Try from the main page http://www.hermannseib.com/english/savihost.htm
(get the 'without keyboard' one....)

As to how to check for 32 or 64-bit... the only way is to install the
32-bit version of jOrgan 3.19 and tell us if it makes sound or not.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 3/13/13, Ken Barta <[hidden email]> wrote:

> *Hi; Thanks for remarks; I have the following,
> Java 6 update 37. How do I check for 32 or 64 bit?
> Is there a better version?  There have been reports of problems with Java
> 7!
> I'm using the following dispositions:
>
> English Cathedral 1.04_FS
> ACO 5.03 4P-104_FS
> Chrisie_fs_3MP 315.01
> Sound system is stereo Onkyo receiver with
>      Cambridge speakers and subwoofer
>
> I tried to download Savihost but got an error message in German.
> Have downloaded instead Softpedia VST host 1.52.
>
> Thanks, Ken
> *
>

> On 3/13/2013 6:45 AM, Roy Radford wrote:
>> Hi, Graham,
>>
>> With all these rapid Windows developments going on are you still doing
>> Puppy things with them these days?
>>

>> Have fun,
>>
>> Roy.

Re: Update - Christie for V3.19 with new skin

lwalls
Rick,

I took a look at your new skin, and have a question...The graphic for a blue tab in the on
position, blue1.png, looks quite normal, but the graphic for the blue tab in the OFF
position, blue0.png, is not even a blue tab at all.  It appears to be a photo of an
old-fashioned volt meter.  Is this a mistake, or was it intended for some reason?

Lynn

ken

Re: Update - Christie for V3.19 with new skin

Hi, Lynn,

              Was that closing question just a teensy bit tongue-in-cheek?    *:)) laughing

I took a look at your new skin, and have a question...The graphic for a blue tab in the on
position, blue1.png, looks quite normal, but the graphic for the blue tab in the OFF
position, blue0.png, is not even a blue tab at all.  It appears to be a photo of an
old-fashioned volt meter.  Is this a mistake, or was it intended for some reason?

Lynn

On 3/13/2013 7:20 AM, Rick (greenfox) wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have posted an update of the Christie jOrgan disposition for jOrgan
> Version 3.19
> http://www.tosa-qld.org/VTPO/
>
> The big news is a new skin!  Graham Wykes has created a set of
> photo-realistic theatre organ tabs.
>
> They are stunning!
>
> Regards
> Rick

Re: Update - Christie for V3.19 with new skin

mashaffer
Graham, I breathlessly await the new version of pup (OK. the breathless part is just because I am overweight but I am really excited about it :)). I am somewhat patiently waiting for my new used MacBook to arrive which will let me use JOP for the first time since I had to return the intel laptop that I borrowed.

As to reverbs I found both jconvolver and zita-rev1 to be very useful better-than-fs  reverbs but ended up not using them much since my computer was lacking in processing power and memory and FS reverb used less resources. When the new computer arrives I will definitely be working on that issue again as well.

The more I learn about JO the more flexible it becomes.

mike

Re: upgrade with better reverb

Chris P
Hi, Ken

I will second Panos' suggestion of using ReveberateLE with the JackPortaudio backend.
I have tried probabley nearly all the other VSTs and plumbed for ReverberateLE.
I think a list of other resources of IRs is somewhere on this forum.
For a demo of the sound quality (not the playing) listen to this at YT:-  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr_K0X3bxXI

Regards
Chris P
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Update - Christie for V3.19 with new skin

To be honest, I don't use blue tabs, so it was just an easy way to manipulate the skin file to achieve what I wanted.  I couldn't work out how to add a new image, so just easier to substitute one not being used.

On 13/03/2013 11:47 PM, "Roy Radford" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Lynn,

              Was that closing question just a teensy bit tongue-in-cheek?    *:)) laughing

I took a look at your new skin, and have a question...The graphic for a blue tab in the on
position, blue1.png, looks quite normal, but the graphic for the blue tab in the OFF
position, blue0.png, is not even a blue tab at all.  It appears to be a photo of an
old-fashioned volt meter.  Is this a mistake, or was it intended for some reason?

Lynn

On 3/13/2013 7:20 AM, Rick (greenfox) wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> I have posted an update of the Christie jOrgan disposition for jOrgan
> Version 3.19
> http://www.tosa-qld.org/VTPO/
>
> The big news is a new skin!  Graham Wykes has created a set of
> photo-realistic theatre organ tabs.
>
> They are stunning!
>
> Regards
> Rick

Re: upgrade with better reverb

JanFlorijn
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Σχετ: upgrade with better reverb

Panos K. Ghekas
Thanks Jan,
I'm dld now. I'll listen very carefully and post back

Best
Panos

Απο: JanFlorijn <[hidden email]>
Προς: [hidden email]
Στάλθηκε: 1:46 μ.μ. Πέμπτη, 14 Μαρτίου 2013
Θέμα: Re: [jOrgan-user] upgrade with better reverb

Hi all,

Thanks for the nice idea.

I made a stereo soundfont with 48000/24 bit and made a stereo recording
48000/24

I used ReverberateLE in Audacity.

After then SPEAR only load and save.

The registration is chosen to let the soundfont hear.

http://www.mediafire.com/?5boo2b3pf8udwru

It works to use ReverberateLe live, but the sound crackles. We have
discussed this before, so I will study earlier posts on this topic.

Have fun

Jan Flikweert

Re: upgrade with better reverb

Panos K. Ghekas
Hi Jan,

))))))))))) super eh? and pure wav... thanks.

I liked much. My views for better recording : Dry sound needed more lower setting, because it sounds from the organists' post and not from the audience. Also this reveals the kinda unnatural high freqs of the soundfont, more like an electric organ than pipe IMHO. The sound was full though and solid from middle to bass. Nice dumping settings you did and I didn't get any ringing in the reverb tails from those HFreq !

Did you use Jackportaudio for this ? If so, did you set full down (-infinite) the dry level on Reverberate ?

This is what I wish you know. I mean these posts like yours, from members sending their performances and sounds of their set-ups. Because, OK , we discuss how to and settings and great things here, but real actions, like examples of our sounds , are rare.

Thanks again for sharing this classic sarabande !

best
Panos

PS-Proposal : wouldn't be nice to have a page on our wiki with all our shared performances ? So anyone interested in jOrgan can listen real time what we're doin' ?
12