"arpeggio"

Does anybody here know if it is possible to do the following:

I want to take the notes of a chord that I play, and use that information,
to "expand" the notes that I play on any octave, and convert that so that it
seems that I played that note (or notes) on all the octaves.  So in other
words, if I play a "C" chord on the lowest octave, I want that information
to appear, as if I have played that chord, on all the octaves of the manual.
I hope that makes sense. It is not a "harmony" function, I just want any
notes I play, to be replicated for all octaves.

Once that is done, I want to be able to run my finger on another manual, and
all the notes that are played on the manual where I play the chord, I want
those notes to sound, as an "arpeggio" on the manual that I run my fingers
over indiscriminately. Does that make sense?  It it much like a function
that newer model  Lowrey organs have.

Any input will be appreciated.

Re: "arpeggio"

Brian Sweetnam wrote
> Once that is done, I want to be able to run my finger on another manual,
> and
> all the notes that are played on the manual where I play the chord, I want
> those notes to sound, as an "arpeggio" on the manual that I run my fingers
> over indiscriminately. Does that make sense?

Brian,

It's not altogether clear to me what is supposed to happen. Suppose it is an
organ with 5 octaves. Presumably if you hold down 3 notes in one octave of
the first manual, that will set up a cluster of 15 notes altogether. Then
when you play any note on the second manual, you will get an arpeggio of 15
notes, sounding in sequence from bottom to top (but how quickly?).
Presumably the second manual acts just as a trigger, and contributes no
extra sounds on its own account, unless it is the actual stops which are
assigned to that second manual, and which are now sounding those 15 notes in
sequence.

Is that right?

Re: "arpeggio"

Hi Brian,

It may be possible to use QMidiArp  http://qmidiarp.sourceforge.net/ :
output single MIDI note from jOrgan into QMidiArp and receive back the
full arpeggio. I've not tested anything like this.... but that's the
idea that could work.

For the Chord expander you could use Octave (+12), Super Octave(+24),
Sub Octave (-12), Grave Sub Octave (-24) couplers on that manual

On 6/25/18, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Does anybody here know if it is possible to do the following:
>
> I want to take the notes of a chord that I play, and use that information,
> to "expand" the notes that I play on any octave, and convert that so that
> it
> seems that I played that note (or notes) on all the octaves.  So in other
> words, if I play a "C" chord on the lowest octave, I want that information
> to appear, as if I have played that chord, on all the octaves of the manual.
>
> I hope that makes sense. It is not a "harmony" function, I just want any
> notes I play, to be replicated for all octaves.
>
> Once that is done, I want to be able to run my finger on another manual,
> and
> all the notes that are played on the manual where I play the chord, I want
> those notes to sound, as an "arpeggio" on the manual that I run my fingers
> over indiscriminately. Does that make sense?  It it much like a function
> that newer model  Lowrey organs have.
>
> Any input will be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Brian.
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> BrianS
> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: "arpeggio"

I it a 'manual' (as opposed to automatic) arpeggio.  Think of it like this:
1. You play a chord "C Maj" on the lower manual.
2. There is a special keyboard in your organ, and only one note can be
played at a time.  It is different to a keyboard in the sense that instead
of having 61 keys, it is more like a strip, that you slide your finger up
and down upon.
3. When you assign a "Harp" sound to this strip keyboard, and you slide your
finger up and down on this strip, whilst playing no chord on the lower
manual, it will play all the notes chromatically, of the harp.
4. If however, you play the chord of C Maj, and then slide your finger up
and down on the strip, it will only play all the notes that are in the chord
of C Maj, but on all octaves, as you slide your finger from the lowest side
of this strip, it starts playing the corresponding notes, and as you move
your finger up the slide, you hear a sort of an arpeggio playing with the
harp sound, in the chord of C Maj.  You can choose another sound for the
strip, for example, a piano sound, or guitar sound, or anything you like.
It will always play (on all octaves) only the notes that correspond to
anything you have played on the lower manual, but only when you hit that
corresponding part of the strip.

It is really cool.

Ron

Re: "arpeggio"

Ron
Baldwin organ:

The keying was on a manual key rail, looked like an expansion twist-o-flex watch band with 61 links.

Ron Biddle
KA4RON
Sent from my iPad

On Jun 26, 2018, at 8:07 AM, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Thank you Ron,

Take a look at this video, it explains what I seem to be unable to do in
writing.  Forward to 4 minutes and 15 seconds, and look and listen what the
organist does with his right finger on a miniature 'keyboard'.  He slides
his finger up and down, then up again, and a beautiful arpeggio is played as
he does this, and it is based on the chord that he has played on the lower
manual.

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjItUJuch1o&list=RD6BLr98QIWFs&index=18

Re: "arpeggio"

Pete Theisen
If you were in the states I would say just buy a damned second-hand Lowrey and be done with it. Their value tanks in a year or two and they still work fine, grandpa hardly uses them and then he dies.

I can't think of them as "organs", two many stops that are so small you can't read them. If you try to replicate all the Lowrey stuff you will have a dog's breakfast of controls on your organ as well and you won't be able to read all of them either.

On 06/26/2018 12:05 PM, Brian Sweetnam wrote:
Thank you Ron,

Take a look at this video, it explains what I seem to be unable to do in
writing.  Forward to 4 minutes and 15 seconds, and look and listen what the
organist does with his right finger on a miniature 'keyboard'.  He slides
his finger up and down, then up again, and a beautiful arpeggio is played as
he does this, and it is based on the chord that he has played on the lower
manual.

Here is the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjItUJuch1o&list=RD6BLr98QIWFs&index=18

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: "arpeggio"

Brian Sweetnam
Pete,

those models were never sold where I live.  And all I want is that little
strip I spoke about, I'm not interested in anything else that I see there.

Re: "arpeggio"

Pete Theisen
Maybe you could buy just that part?

http://www.lowrey.com/contact-us/

On 06/26/2018 12:49 PM, Brian Sweetnam wrote:
Pete,

those models were never sold where I live.  And all I want is that little
strip I spoke about, I'm not interested in anything else that I see there.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: "arpeggio"

Brian Sweetnam
 Pete,

Thank you, but I doubt that they would sell it.

Re: "arpeggio"

Pete Theisen
Try this group. Someone might know the answer.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/237760479572/about/

On 06/26/2018 01:25 PM, Brian Sweetnam wrote:
 Pete,

Thank you, but I doubt that they would sell it.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Ron

Re: "arpeggio"

Ron
Same idea as what Baldwin did...keying from strip on the key rail between manuals probably made it more usable from the players standpoint....but you would give up a fair amount of piston space. Think their "keyboard" was about 4" long as I recall.

Ron Biddle
KA4RON
Sent from my iPad

> On Jun 26, 2018, at 12:05 PM, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Thank you Ron,
>
> Take a look at this video, it explains what I seem to be unable to do in
> writing.  Forward to 4 minutes and 15 seconds, and look and listen what the
> organist does with his right finger on a miniature 'keyboard'.  He slides
> his finger up and down, then up again, and a beautiful arpeggio is played as
> he does this, and it is based on the chord that he has played on the lower
> manual.
>
> Here is the link:
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjItUJuch1o&list=RD6BLr98QIWFs&index=18
>
> Brian.