new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

123

new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

mezzo
Hi all,

This post to present you a soundfont editor I recently made: Polyphone (www.polyphone.fr). This software is available for Windows and Debian / Ubuntu.

My motivation is to provide an editor fitted for organ creation, and more particularly with:
   - tools for editing parameters globally (processing all samples of an instrument simultaneously),
   - tools designed to provide organ stops, like a special detuning for unda maris or even a mixture creator using a unique 8' stop.

It is indeed very painfull to edit samples one by one in an instrument, especially when it's question of harmonization.

This is the first release but I think you might find the idea interesting. Feel free to test it and raise all the remarks you want! The current tool list is only the beginning, I will add more as needed.

Davy

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

Hi Davy,

Very impressive. I particularly like the graphics, which I shall find helpful when regulating soundfont Instruments using my console laptop under Puppy Linux. I haven’t had time to work out some of its special functions yet. In fact I suspect I shall need a little more text guidance about them. A tutorial would be very good.

It seems to lack some of the features which I find useful in Viena, and I suspect that my soundfont work will draw on what both Viena and your Polyphone can provide.

Many thanks for what I can only imagine must have been a lot of work!

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

Hi Davy,

Congratulations on creating a well functioning soundfont editor :)

Is it possible to add a 'Trim to loop' setting for use when importing
wave files?

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 1/6/13, mezzo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> This post to present you a soundfont editor I recently made: Polyphone (
> www.polyphone.fr <http://www.polyphone.fr>  ). This software is available
> for Windows and Debian / Ubuntu.
>
> My motivation is to provide an editor fitted for organ creation, and more
> particularly with:
>    - tools for editing parameters globally (processing all samples of an
> instrument simultaneously),
>    - tools designed to provide organ stops, like a special detuning for
> unda
> maris or even a mixture creator using a unique 8' stop.
>
> It is indeed very painfull to edit samples one by one in an instrument,
> especially when it's question of harmonization.
>
> This is the first release but I think you might find the idea interesting.
> Feel free to test it and raise all the remarks you want! The current tool
> list is only the beginning, I will add more as needed.
>
> Davy

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

mezzo
Hello John, hello GrahamG,

Thank you for having taken a look at my software.

John Reimer wrote
In fact I suspect I shall need a little more text guidance about them. A tutorial would be very good.
A user manual is available by typing F1, and I'm considering making a tutorial on sourceforge. This is pretty new to me, and there is still a lot of stuff to do!

John Reimer wrote
It seems to lack some of the features which I find useful in Viena
Could you explain more? Maybe one of the missing features is a virtual keyboard, I will work on it for the next release. In the same time I will maybe take a closer look at Fluidsynth, in which not all the sf2 features are implemented. A large ambition but if it improves organ sounds... the game may be worth the effort!

grahamg wrote
Is it possible to add a 'Trim to loop' setting for use when importing
wave files?
It's done ;-)
You can now check two boxes in the preferences :
 - one for an automatic "trim to loop" when importing,
 - another one for an automatic removal of the dead time laying before the beginning of the attack.

Good night!
Davy

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

mezzo wrote
Maybe one of the missing features is a virtual keyboard
Hi Davy,
Yes, that is the most obvious one.It would also be good to be able to play it from an external MIDI keyboard as well as using the virtual keyboard.
When I have had time to explore the program somewhat, I shall email you with other comments.

Again, many thanks for your commitment to adding to our virtual organ resources.

JohnR

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

Dries
Dear Davy,

Congratulations with your new soundfont editor. Today I played a little bit around and I like it!
The interface is pretty clean, clear and simple disigned, my compliments for that.
Indeed a virtual keyboard would be very usefull but I understand that you are working on that.
And as you say the current tool list is only the beginning, I will add more as needed...can't wait for that!

What I maybe should find usefull is a time ruler in the bottom of the graphical screen when looping a sample. As far as I know this is also not in possible viena (?)

Would it be possible to build in the option for a split screen for loop start point and loop end point. In order to accurate set the position in the wave form I normaly have to zoom in pretty much. But when defining longer loops I have only the start or the end point in the window. Working with two zoomable windows would maybe easy ?

I'm not very experienced with sample and soundfont making so please correct me when I'm wrong.

Best regards,
Dries
Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

Dries
Hi Davy,

I did some changes in a SF with Polyphone. When I opened the same SF again in Viena I got the message "No sm24 sub chunk!!!" Also when trying to save in Viena this message comes up and as far as I can see the changes in the SF are not saved.

Is this something in Viena or in Polyphone ??

BR, Dries
Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

Dries,

I have had the same experience. Today I sent a post to the Synthfont Forum asking Kenneth to comment.
For the moment I shall not be using Polyphone at all.

JohnR

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

Dries
Same for me John. Despite some features that I found in Polyphone makes it interesting. For example selecting a complete row (eg vib LFO to pitch for all samples) in the instrument section is more easy. Also the interface looks very clean and clear!

BR, Dries

Op 10 feb. 2013 om 10:42 heeft "John Reimer [via jOrgan]" <[hidden email]> het volgende geschreven:

Dries,

I have had the same experience. Today I sent a post to the Synthfont Forum asking Kenneth to comment.
For the moment I shall not be using Polyphone at all.

JohnR

http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/new-sf2-editor-with-organ-creation-tools-tp4656929p4657493.html
To unsubscribe from new sf2 editor with organ creation tools, click here.
NAML
Dries Nelemans - Ridderkerk, The Netherlands

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

mezzo

I just released another version of Polyphone. Here are the changes:
 - bugs linked to file importation are fixed,
 - addition of a virtual keyboard,
 - support for midi signal reception,
 - a synth (not fully implemented yet, taking 60% of the parameters into account),
 - support for asio and jack audio server,
 - overlay in the graph, making it easier to loop samples,
 - clipping done if necessary when equalizing samples,
 - time cursor less CPU consuming when playing samples.

Dries wrote
I did some changes in a SF with Polyphone. When I opened the same SF again in Viena I got the message "No sm24 sub chunk!!!" Also when trying to save in Viena this message comes up and as far as I can see the changes in the SF are not saved.
Don't be afraid by this message. Polyphone just saves .sf2 file as 2.04 sf2 format. This change allows samples to have a 24 bits extension, said extension being not mandatory contrary to what Viena seems to warn. You can check with Swami: everything is ok (in no case data will be lost).

For the next release I will try to finish the synth. More particularly:
 - scale tuning,
 - real time low pass filter,
 - low frequency oscillators (LFOs),
 - exclusive class,
 - chorus and reverb,
 - offsets,
 - modulators.

However the priority will be on stability. If someone find a bug please keep me informed.

Davy
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

BCA
Administrator
Hello Davy,

thank you very much for the interesting sf tool.

I've trouble opening the enclosed sf2, at samples stage.
FluidSynth_Tremolo_Tester
Polyphone terminates when trying to open the sample.

Another thing: polyphone doesn't open up at all, when installed 32-bit at Win XP SP3 32-bit.

Possibly a necessary Windows library is missing?
all the best,
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

mezzo
BCA wrote
I've trouble opening the enclosed sf2, at samples stage.
FluidSynth_Tremolo_Tester
Polyphone terminates when trying to open the sample.
A bug occured during the FFT. It's now fixed, you can update Polyphone.

BCA wrote
Another thing: polyphone doesn't open up at all, when installed 32-bit at Win XP SP3 32-bit.
Possibly a necessary Windows library is missing?
I cannot reproduce the problem. Does Windows display a message? A name of a library?
If not, does Polyphone appear in the task manager (even briefly)?

Davy
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

BCA
Administrator
Hello Davy,

thank you very much, FFT bug's resolved.

- Still not opening in Win XP SP3, no task manager entry. Just a little sandclock appearing for two seconds, then doing nothing. Behaviour like as if PPH is missing essential libraries. Which common libraries must be installed on the Win PC? VB++ package?

- In a Win7 64-bit install, PPH terminated constantly when trying to open an instrument by clicking into the tree. There was a hint of a wrong function call in VB++ library.

Problemsignatur:
  Problemereignisname: APPCRASH
  Anwendungsname: polyphone.exe
  Anwendungsversion: 0.0.0.0
  Anwendungszeitstempel: 51193433
  Fehlermodulname: QtCore4.dll
  Fehlermodulversion: 4.8.4.0
  Fehlermodulzeitstempel: 50b3265d
  Ausnahmecode: 40000015
  Ausnahmeoffset: 00010f05
  Betriebsystemversion: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
  Gebietsschema-ID: 1031
  Zusatzinformation 1: 5079
  Zusatzinformation 2: 50794a2e037c59119a2e3c3c13e4b2bf
  Zusatzinformation 3: 8868
  Zusatzinformation 4: 886861a4c07273dc08aa1f76b7a4ac56

HTH!
all the best,
BCA
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

BCA
Hi Davy,

my first impression of PPH is: clear, fast, well-grounded, interesting. Great work.

Even if I haven't tested all functionality, here's a little wishlist for additional functions I'd really appreciate.

- bank importer and renumberer
- preset importer and renumberer
- Instrument layer context: sample replacement in instrument layer (if possible, also directly from outside?)
- Instrument layer context: apply x (e. g. Pan=-50 or reverb=100) to all instruments
- Instrument layer context: set all entries to the defaults
- Preset layer context: create per-key controllers in a from-to key range automatically (as you can see in the test sf from yesterday)

Thanks again for investing in a cross-system sf tool.
all the best,
BCA
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

BCA
Administrator
sorry, the test soundfonts from yesterday did actually contain the ONE preset not using per-key controllers, only. :(

Here's another one:
FluidSynth_Tremolo_Tester2
all the best,
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

mezzo
Hi,

Regarding the wishlist:
- the importation is already possible by loading two soundfonts and doing a drag & drop in the tree. A copy of the data will occur
- sample replacement: for now it's only possible to replace a sample if the .wav file has the same name. I will implement a fonction for sample / instrument replacement in instrument / preset.
- ok for global setting applied to all instrument (I will certainly add a checkbox in the current tool)
- set all entries to default: already possible by selecting all in a table (clic on the top left cell), and pressing delete or suppr
- create per-key controllers in a from-to key range automatically: ok.

Regarding the problem in windows:
I would be surprised that VB++ library should be present, the software has been made using qt creator, with qt library. As necessary library, I noticed:
- QtCore4.dll,
- QtGui4.dll,
- QtSvg4.dll,
- QtMultimedia4.dll,
- libjack.dll,
- mingwm10.dll,
- libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.
I will investigate a bit further. Let's try with the next release (for tomorrow if I have time).

Davy
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

BCA
Administrator
Hi Davy,

see below:

>- the importation is already possible by loading two soundfonts and doing a
>drag & drop in the tree. A copy of the data will occur
-- aah, so your approach is mostly drag-and-drop?

>- sample replacement: for now it's only possible to replace a sample if the
>.wav file has the same name. I will implement a fonction for sample /
>instrument replacement in instrument / preset.
--great.
>- ok for global setting applied to all instrument (I will certainly add a
>checkbox in the current tool)
- thank you
>- set all entries to default: already possible by selecting all in a table
>(clic on the top left cell), and pressing delete or suppr
--aha, discovered, thank you. So all EMPTY fields point to the defaults?

>- create per-key controllers in a from-to key range automatically: ok.
--that's fantastic.

>Regarding the problem in windows:
>I would be surprised that VB++ library should be present, the software has
>been made using qt creator, with qt library. ...
-- as mentioned, it only appears in Win7-64bit, with polyphone 64-bit installer. No issue with win7-64bit, and polyhone 32-bit installer.
Here's a bug demo video:
http://argonon.de/data/tempdl/win764_polyphone64_tree_view_bug.mov

HTH!

Best
Bernd.

all the best,
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

mezzo
Version 0.3 is released, could you please try an installation again?
The issue was maybe a wrong version for a qt dll (I'm using qt 4.8.4 and qt 4.8.2). This is my first idea.
My second idea is the virtual keyboard, I noticed that it didn't appear in the video, contrary to the button and labels just next to it. This can be verified by installing the version 0.1 which has no keyboard.

What changes is:
- addition of a release creation tool (John Beach suggestion!)
- division duplication for preset
- correction of parameter limits in the preset page
- refactoring of configuration system

I didn't have time to treat the other points and I'll be away for a couple a days.

Regarding the drag & drop for an import, I understand that opening two files are necessary, a faster solution may be found.

Davy
BCA

Re: new sf2 editor with organ creation tools

BCA
Administrator
first report:
the tree view bug is gone, apparently. The invisibility of the keyboard is due to my choice of 128-key view. It was wrapped to an invisible line I had to open via >>.
all the best,
BCA
123