moving forward

1234 ... 10

moving forward

eagles051387
Good Morning All,

I have noticed that on the bug tracker on the sourceforge project there are nothing but feature requests.

At this point one in particular caught my eye: https://sourceforge.net/p/jorgan/feature-requests/50/

The ability to record mp3 or wav files and the ability to edit them. I think once I get things up and running on my pc to be able to build jorgan i can start working on this feature.

In the mean time if you guys have any bugs or issues you would like me to investigate do fill them out on the issue tracker on sourceforge.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: moving forward

RoyR
Hi, Jonathon,

                    Will there be copyright issues in recording direct to .mp3 format?

On 28 July 2016 at 07:42, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good Morning All,

I have noticed that on the bug tracker on the sourceforge project there are nothing but feature requests.

At this point one in particular caught my eye: https://sourceforge.net/p/jorgan/feature-requests/50/

The ability to record mp3 or wav files and the ability to edit them. I think once I get things up and running on my pc to be able to build jorgan i can start working on this feature.

In the mean time if you guys have any bugs or issues you would like me to investigate do fill them out on the issue tracker on sourceforge.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: moving forward

RoyR
   When you install jOrgan it also installs several extensions, one of which is Fluidsynth so you can set all the Fluidsynth parameters from within jOrgan by creating a fluidsynth sound element rather than a generic one.

    I wondered if something similar could be done with Audacity.

On 28 July 2016 at 14:13, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

lwalls
Regarding recording to .mp3, why not hande it like Audacity and some other apps do
it...just let the user be responsible for finding/downloading/installing the lame.dll, and
have jOrgan simply request that the user specify its location. Since the interface to
lame.dll is standardized, jOrgan would just use that interface without concern for how the
lame.dll got installed.

CLW

On 7/28/2016 6:52 AM, Jonathan Aquilina wrote:
> I need to research that as there are open source libraries. If worse comes to worse we at
> least implement wav or something like ogg format

Re: moving forward

Hi Jonathan

Keeping in mind that jOrgan doesn't make any sound, the sound recording will need to be taken from whichever synth is being used by the jOrgan user.

Maybe you would need to specify the recording would only be for a specific synth, Fluidsynth being the most likely.

Could this be difficult to implement across different OS platforms?

The first item I would like on the upgrade list is the Windows installer file positions.

On 28 Jul 2016 4:43 pm, "Jonathan Aquilina" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Good Morning All,

I have noticed that on the bug tracker on the sourceforge project there are nothing but feature requests.

At this point one in particular caught my eye: https://sourceforge.net/p/jorgan/feature-requests/50/

The ability to record mp3 or wav files and the ability to edit them. I think once I get things up and running on my pc to be able to build jorgan i can start working on this feature.

In the mean time if you guys have any bugs or issues you would like me to investigate do fill them out on the issue tracker on sourceforge.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: moving forward

RoyR
Hi, Rick,

              That's why I thought perhaps it could be treated in much the same way as Fluidsynth, a program which is basically "outside" jOrgan but linked to it as an extension.

On 28 July 2016 at 22:19, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

BCA

Re: moving forward

BCA
IMHO, for all extensions having nothing to do with the jOrgan core, the backend architecture should be used. The backend mask is currently used just for the FluidSynth extension, but it is obviously intended to host anything which needs external dlls asf.

My personal preferation for the next backend would be a cutout of the GrandOrgue sound engine for direct access in jOrgan.

Regretfully, I've not the slightest idea how to do that.
all the best,
BCA
BCA

Re: moving forward

BCA
"If worse comes to worse we at least implement wav or something like ogg format"

if at all, only wave format is necessary.
all the best,
BCA

Re: moving forward

eagles051387
It would require reverse engineering,

Don't we want the end goal instead of using tech which is proprietary in nature take advantage of all the FOSS formats for audio for example?

Jonathan Aquilina

On Fri, Jul 29, 2016 at 7:31 AM, BCA <[hidden email]> wrote:
IMHO, for all extensions having nothing to do with the jOrgan core, the
backend architecture should be used. The backend mask is currently used just
for the FluidSynth extension, but it is obviously intended to host anything
which needs external dlls asf.

My personal preferation for the next backend would be a cutout of the
GrandOrgue sound engine for direct access in jOrgan.

Regretfully, I've not the slightest idea how to do that.

-----
all the best,
BCA

Re: moving forward

eagles051387
what exactly do you mean by a specific synth?

Also regarding the windows installer file positions can you file a bug on the bug tracker on source forge please.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:19 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

So if I am understanding correctly the scenario would be one of the two.

1) either we install fluid synth on ones system and provide the path to the necessary file for it to work.
2) install audacity and when you hit record it launches audacity and you use audacity to record.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Thu, Jul 28, 2016 at 11:43 PM, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

    If those are the options on offer I would certainly go for #2, but then I'm a bit out on a limb here because I don't use a software synth. My contraption uses two Edirol SD20 MIDI modules.

     At present I run Audacity on a separate computer but that's a messy solution down to history and quite unnecessary really since, with the Edirols doing all the synth. in hardware the jOrgan computer has very little work to do anyway.