memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken

memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken
When I change memories which I think hold ten general settings, I find the ten settings from 1 now duplicated on memory 2.
If I change generals in memory 2, then I lose those in memory 1. Please explain. Normally, they're independent on most combination action that I ever used.
Thanks, Ken Barta

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

Ken,

This sounds like a referencing problem.  Which disposition are you using?

JohnR
ken

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken
Hi John: Stratman's ACO 5.03_4P_1.04 and EC 1.04, jOrgan version 3.15. I probably don't have
and element set up right?
Ken Barta

On 8/26/2012 10:37 PM, John Reimer wrote:
Ken,

This sounds like a referencing problem.  Which disposition are you using?

JohnR

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken wrote
Stratman's ACO 5.03_4P_1.04 and EC 1.04, jOrgan version 3.15.
I probably don't have and element set up right?
Ken Barta
Ken,
Does this mean that you have modified (or added to) an existing disposition?
If so, you should open an unmodified disposition which works O.K., and carefully compare what you have done in the modified disposition to what exists in the relevant parts of the working disposition.

The other possibility is that you are operating the stops/combination pistons/setter piston in the wrong order.

Because my knowledge of these things is only marginal, you probably need someone else to come in on this for you.

JohnR
ken

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken
On 8/28/2012 7:55 PM, John Reimer wrote:

Hi John; no, I'm using an existing disposition. I since have
opened memory from (view) and opened a file for the
memory decades, and named 6. Still have the problem.
What I set in decade 1 (mem1) will be overwritten if I set a new
combination in Mem 2, Gen 1 piston, for instance.
Anyone know what I'm missing here? I haven't figured out all
the wrinkles in jOrgan yet!
Ken Barta

ken wrote
Stratman's ACO 5.03_4P_1.04 and EC 1.04, jOrgan version 3.15.
I probably don't have and element set up right?
Ken Barta

Ken,
Does this mean that you have modified (or added to) an existing disposition?
If so, you should open an unmodified disposition which works O.K., and
carefully compare what you have done in the modified disposition to what
exists in the relevant parts of the working disposition.

The other possibility is that you are operating the stops/combination
pistons/setter piston in the wrong order.

Because my knowledge of these things is only marginal, you probably need
someone else to come in on this for you.

JohnR

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

Greg Lyons
Hi Ken,

I just tested the same disposition, and it worked fine for me.  It sounds to me like perhaps there's something wrong with the memory file you're using.  In the Memory view, try clicking the "eject" button, type in a brand new name into the file selection dialog, and confirm.  JOrgan should create a new .memory file for you specific to that disposition.

Regards,

Greg

ken

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken
Thanks for reply, Greg;
Ejected first file name and opened another.
It shows up underneath the memory line.
But memories are still overwriting.
All ten generals are the same in all memories, named or not.
Is memory explained somewhere in a wiki?
Thanks, Ken Barta

On 8/28/2012 11:16 PM, Greg Lyons [via jOrgan] wrote:
[...]

http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/memories-how-to-adjust-so-it-doesn-t-overwrite-tp4655745p4655756.html
To unsubscribe from memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite, click here.
NAML

BCA

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

BCA
If the references are set correctly, I never experienced a memory issue in jOrgan, since at least 3.14. Perhaps Pastor Stratmans disposition has left some personal keyboard shortcut or MIDI coimmand which accidentally operates your captor button?
all the best,
BCA

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

Patrick Lane
This seems similar to a problem I have when updating pistons.  Many time setting changes to piston 1 applies the changes to piston 2.  Also setting 2 goes to 3 and so forth.

Patrick

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken wrote
Is memory explained somewhere in a wiki?
Ken,

I have just tried to make up a new memory level using Earlwood 4, because it was close at hand, and everything seemed to work as it should. I suspect you have not yet worked out the correct routine.

You had better get used to this, with jOrgan. At 73 years of age, I resent having to re-invent the wheel all the time, because there is so much else I would like to do, and so I hate it when I lose time  having to work out things “unnecessarily” (sometimes they are things I DID work out in the past, but with the passage of time, it might just as well not have happened). To speak more positively about it, jOrgan is so full of great functions, and development at times has been so rapid, that the documentation side of things has never been fully satisfactory, in my opinion. But the result usually makes up for the frustration.

I have described what seems to be a correct routine for memory and for recorder, in my Instructions file which I include with downloads of the Earlwood Organs. Furthermore, I think Bill Skees included these sections somewhere in his jOrgan Guide for Beginners, but I haven’t been able to locate it. It may be that you are confusing making new memory files with setting up various levels within the one memory file.

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

Ken,

Here is the text from one of the Earlwood downloads:

MEMORY
1. In playing mode (not "Construct") Click on View, then on Memory.
2. Click on black Eject symbol at far right.
3. Type in the file name of the Disposition e.g. Earlwood_1c_311 if it is not already there, or select it if it is there.
   It probably doesn't matter which folder it ends up in ("Look In"), but I would use the folder I suggested you place within dispositions folder for the jOrgan version being used. In fact the "Look In" window may already be showing this.
4. Click on Open.
5. Click just after the "1" at the far left, and type in the name of your first Memory level e.g. Memory 1, and press <Enter>.

6. You should now set up some combinations:  a) Turn on some stops b) Click on "SET" (it will change color to indicate that it is now waiting to register your combination).   c) click on the piston you want to bring on those stops  d) The "SET" will return to its normal color.  e) Repeat for other combinations as needed.

7. You may even like repeat steps 5 & 6 to set up further Memory levels (2, 3 etc.), with names of your choosing.

8. Save the disposition if you wish to avoid losing these settings through a sudden power loss or some accident of your own making.

You may choose to close the Memory Window at this stage, without losing the Memory file currently loaded. This will enable you to have the Console in Full View, but you can control the Memory by means of the icons on the Console. To do this, right-click on the "Memory" tab, and Close.
Alternatively, you may wish to open or create some other Memory storage. To do this, click on the Eject symbol at the far right of the Memory Window, and you will be given those two options. If you have made any changes to the currently-loaded Memory file, you will be given the opportunity to Save them.
At this stage if you click on Cancel or you close the "Open / Create Storage" window, this will have the effect of emptying the Memory program of its current Memory file.

I hope this helps.

JohnR

Σχετ: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

Panos K. Ghekas
Hi John :-)

Great instructions. I could call, "excerpts from Earlwood manual" !
I copy/paste this e-mail for reference just in case... even though I got all Erlwoods.

Can anyone with more spare time, put this on our Wiki ?

@Ken. When I have some issues like this, I remember Sven telling me : "what has changed from yesterday?"
So, I'm doing all the procedure from the beginning, from point zero.

Best
Panos

Απο: John Reimer <[hidden email]>
Προς: [hidden email]
Στάλθηκε: 10:37 π.μ. Πέμπτη, 30 Αυγούστου 2012
Θεμα: Re: [jOrgan-user] memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken
Hi John: Well, been there, done that, no soap.
I would think that if done correctly, it would show up
on the console memory section, and it does.
Memory 001 has the name "ten" next to it, and
Memory 002 has "twenty" next to it, as I named them.
Yet if I set gen 1 with a combination in Memory 001, and then go
to Memory 002 and set another combination on Gen 1, if  I go
back to Memory 001 and press Gen 1, the combination is changed
to that of Memory 002, Gen 1.
In relationship window, the proper names also appear.
What gives?
I'll send anyone a screenshot of any particular window or menu
that would clarify my errors.
Thanks so much,
Ken Barta

BCA

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

BCA
Administrator
What do you have changed on the original dispositions coming from Pastor Stratman?
all the best,
BCA
ken

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken
Hi: Nothing, actually. I miss-spoke earlier on in the thread,
and have confused people ever since. I'm using
  Paul
Stratman's ACO 5.03_4P_1.04 and EC 1.04,
jOrgan version 3.15
as downloaded. I have since been successful in properly
setting up the memory in the ACO, but the English Church
seems to be corrupted somehow. Have set up at least
3 memory files, but none work.
I guess I'll have to reinstall.
Thanks,
Ken Barta

On 8/31/2012 1:40 AM, BCA wrote:
What do you have changed on the original dispositions coming from Pastor
Stratman?

-----
all the best,
BCA

BCA

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

BCA
Administrator
I was able to replicate the issue here, with jOrgan 3.16. Pastor Stratmans disposition j3.15_English_Cathedral_Organ_1.04_FS does indeed store 10 combinations only, and the sequencer does operate only those 10 combinations.

The current release of the j3.16_English_Cathedral_Organ_1.05_FS organ does not exhibit those issues - I just added the memory file, and everything worked correctly here.

Ken, please upgrade to jOrgan 3.16 or 3.17, and use the current ECO release.
all the best,
BCA
ken

Re: memories/how to adjust so it doesn't overwrite

ken
Hi: Thanks for the confirmation/verification. Maybe I'll recover some of my marbles! Ken Barta

http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/memories-how-to-adjust-so-it-doesn-t-overwrite-tp4655745p4655784.html