jOrgan used to create wireless GM MIDI sound expander module

jOrgan used to create wireless GM MIDI sound expander module

Brian Sweetnam
Morning all.

I want take a Raspberry Pi 0 W with WifiBerry soundcard (which has the same
footprint and mechanichally sits in top of the Pi0W board) and see how
effective it can run jOrgan with a the best GM soundfont loaded into the
memory size, as well as the best theatre and classical organ soundfont.  If
it cannot run both simultaniously, I will have to switch to a Raspberry Pi 3
Model B to do the job, but then the module will become bigger.

It is also possible to have it setup with 3 or so seperate dispositions, one
for GM, theatre organ, classical organ, drawbar organ.  Then just start the
correct disposition - then it might still work on the Pi0 W.

Re: jOrgan used to create wireless GM MIDI sound expander module

Peter Hanlon
Hi Brian,

I have a WifiBerry, and a RPi 3. After stuffing about for weeks, I decided that the WifiBerry wasn’t the best option as it sits a little too close to the hardware, and could clash with my own use of I/O pins, or interrupts and the like that jOrgan or anything else like Jack/Fluidsynth might employ.

It also didn’t fit within my standard RPi box. I felt that the USB sound card was probably the best course, and more likely to fit into a scenario where the Rpi basic sound offering is improved to the point where the external sound card is superfluous.

I am using a single Teensy 3.2 to manage the keyboard changes, and feed Midi to the Rpi. I note that the Rpi has recently gone to a later model, but I am about to drop off the treadmill.

Isn’t it great to have the world change under your feet every 12 or 18 months though,

Every Easter blessing to all jOrganists,

Peter

> On 30 Mar 2018, at 5:30 pm, Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Morning all.
>
> I want take a Raspberry Pi 0 W with WifiBerry soundcard (which has the same
> footprint and mechanichally sits in top of the Pi0W board) and see how
> effective it can run jOrgan with a the best GM soundfont loaded into the
> memory size, as well as the best theatre and classical organ soundfont.  If
> it cannot run both simultaniously, I will have to switch to a Raspberry Pi 3
> Model B to do the job, but then the module will become bigger.
>
> It is also possible to have it setup with 3 or so seperate dispositions, one
> for GM, theatre organ, classical organ, drawbar organ.  Then just start the
> correct disposition - then it might still work on the Pi0 W.
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> BrianS
> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: jOrgan used to create wireless GM MIDI sound expander module

Peter Hanlon wrote
> I felt that the USB sound card was probably the best course, and more
> likely to fit into a scenario where the Rpi basic sound offering is
> improved to the point where the external sound card is superfluous.

Peter,
Sorry, but I don't really follow what you are saying here, following the
comma. Do you mind rephrasing it, please.

I also incline towards the use of a suitable USB soundcard, for reasons of
cost if for no other reason. However, we really do need an RPi jOrgan user
to report on one or more that they have found suitable, and which we can buy
with confidence.

Re: jOrgan used to create wireless GM MIDI sound expander module

Brian Sweetnam
Hi Peter,

For my jOrgan project, I will not be using the IO pins, and it will be a
permanent installation as well, so I will not be taking the Pi out for
anything else.  Yes, the USB sound stick is a much cheaper option.  I am
following down this road because, I'm hoping the HifiBerry has superior
sound quality, and it is exactly the same size as the Raspberry Pi 0 W.  I
will not be installing it in a Raspberry Pi housing, but only inside the
speaker cabinet, where which will protect it.

There are a couple of jOrgan users that are using the Teensy as a midi
encoder (I'm assuming this is what you are doing). I have been thinking - is
it not possible to utilise the IO of the Raspberry Pi, in order to use them
for the midi encoder?  This way, one could reduce the number of boards even
more. Imagine using a Raspberry Pi as the computer and encoder, all in one
board.....