jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Don Phillips
Hello jOrgan users,

The Sourceforge website states that jOrgan "runs on all major operating systems".  I am using a Mac computer and have been trying for several months to install and operate jOrgan without success.  If any readers have been able to do this could they please explain in detail how it was done?  (I do not regard Windows substitution devices such as "Parallels" or "Boot Camp" as running on the Mac operating system.)

I am using OSX-10.5 (Leopard) on a Mac Mini.

Thank you in anticipation.

Don Phillips

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Patrick Lane
I too have several friends who have macs and I have succeeded in exciting
them about jOrgan.  But macs seems to be "too difficult" to make work.
There is information on nabble, the main problem is the version of java that
macs use.  I would ask those in the know and who have macs to work out a
solution for mac owners.  Artisan organ have a system that uses mac
computers.  The various mac Operating Systems are a propietary linux like
system.

Patrick

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Greg Lyons
On Mac OS X 10.5, the Java version shouldn't be a problem -- it ships with Java SE v6, I believe.  I haven't used jOrgan on a Mac before, but I just downloaded it and double-clicked the jorgan.jar file and it started right up.

I think a lot of the problems people have with jOrgan on the Mac has been related to audio output.  Installing FluidSynth, which is a favorite among many jOrgan users, requires Fink, XCode, etc., which is a not typical fare for most.

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Patrick Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
I too have several friends who have macs and I have succeeded in exciting
them about jOrgan.  But macs seems to be "too difficult" to make work.
There is information on nabble, the main problem is the version of java that
macs use.  I would ask those in the know and who have macs to work out a
solution for mac owners.  Artisan organ have a system that uses mac
computers.  The various mac Operating Systems are a propietary linux like
system.

Patrick

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

thanks Greg for putting this straight.

If jOrgan doesn't run perfectly on a Mac it's just because I never had
the chance to explicitly test and tweak everything for OS X.

But the main problems remains the lack of a decent sound generator.
I'm sorry, but I can't help you on this issue. This is something the Mac
community has to solve.

Greg Lyons wrote:

> On Mac OS X 10.5, the Java version shouldn't be a problem -- it ships
> with Java SE v6, I believe.  I haven't used jOrgan on a Mac before,
> but I just downloaded it and double-clicked the jorgan.jar file and it
> started right up.
>
> I think a lot of the problems people have with jOrgan on the Mac has
> been related to audio output.  Installing FluidSynth, which is a
> favorite among many jOrgan users, requires Fink, XCode, etc., which is
> a not typical fare for most.
>

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Patrick Lane <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     I too have several friends who have macs and I have succeeded in
>     exciting
>     them about jOrgan.  But macs seems to be "too difficult" to make work.
>     There is information on nabble, the main problem is the version of
>     java that
>     macs use.  I would ask those in the know and who have macs to work
>     out a
>     solution for mac owners.  Artisan organ have a system that uses mac
>     computers.  The various mac Operating Systems are a propietary
>     linux like
>     system.
>
>     Patrick

Greg,

I agree that using OSX 10.5 you can click the jorgan.jar file and "it starts right up."  But try and go a step further and import or load a disposition, or even construct one, and it will not work.

Until someone devises a straightforward procedure that will enable a Mac to run jOrgan without hanging-up or otherwise failing to deliver I believe the Sourceforge Website should make it clear that this program is unsuitable for the Mac platform.  The present statement that it "will run on all major operating systems" is incorrect and leads Mac owners into many hours of frustration and disappointment.

Don Phillps

Greg Lyons wrote

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Patrick Lane <pup@sfpuppy.com> wrote:

> I too have several friends who have macs and I have succeeded in exciting
> them about jOrgan.  But macs seems to be "too difficult" to make work.
> There is information on nabble, the main problem is the version of java
> that
> macs use.  I would ask those in the know and who have macs to work out a
> solution for mac owners.  Artisan organ have a system that uses mac
> computers.  The various mac Operating Systems are a propietary linux like
> system.
>
> Patrick

I just opened a few dispositions, which worked fine.  (A few didn't work, because they require the FluidSynth extension.)  I also took 90 seconds to create a new disposition, which also worked for me.  Maybe you can describe your problem in a little more detail so I can understand better.

I don't have a sound source or external MIDI device connected to my Mac at the moment, so I can't say that it worked end-to-end.  (My understanding is that I would need to get Mandolane in order to make MIDI devices visible to jOrgan.  This is due to a problem with Apple's implementation of Java, not anything wrong with jOrgan.)  But opening, creating, and saving dispositions worked for me.

Greg Lyons wrote:

> On Mac OS X 10.5, the Java version shouldn't be a problem -- it ships with
> Java SE v6, I believe.  I haven't used jOrgan on a Mac before, but I just
> downloaded it and double-clicked the jorgan.jar file and it started right
> up.
>
> I think a lot of the problems people have with jOrgan on the Mac has been
> related to audio output.  Installing FluidSynth, which is a favorite among
> many jOrgan users, requires Fink, XCode, etc., which is a not typical fare
> for most.
>

> On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Patrick Lane <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I too have several friends who have macs and I have succeeded in exciting
>> them about jOrgan.  But macs seems to be "too difficult" to make work.
>> There is information on nabble, the main problem is the version of java
>> that
>> macs use.  I would ask those in the know and who have macs to work out a
>> solution for mac owners.  Artisan organ have a system that uses mac
>> computers.  The various mac Operating Systems are a propietary linux like
>> system.
>>
>> Patrick

What synth were you using when these dispositions worked?  And were you using the jOrgan keyboard?

I am using an M-Audio 61 USB keyboard, which is recognised OK, and Fluidsynth.  Are you saying that the latter is the problem?  If so, what's the alternative?  Simplesynth is not up to it, I feel, without reverb.

Don

Greg Lyons wrote

<http://www.mandolane.co.uk/index.html>in order to make MIDI devices

On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Don Phillips <phillipd78@gmail.com> wrote:

> Greg,
>
> I agree that using OSX 10.5 you can click the jorgan.jar file and "it
> starts
> right up."  But try and go a step further and import or load a disposition,
> or even construct one, and it will not work.
>
> Until someone devises a straightforward procedure that will enable a Mac to
> run jOrgan without hanging-up or otherwise failing to deliver I believe the
> Sourceforge Website should make it clear that this program is unsuitable
> for
> the Mac platform.  The present statement that it "will run on all major
> operating systems" is incorrect and leads Mac owners into many hours of
> frustration and disappointment.
>
> Don Phillps
>

> Greg Lyons wrote:
> >
> > On Mac OS X 10.5, the Java version shouldn't be a problem -- it ships
> with
> > Java SE v6, I believe.  I haven't used jOrgan on a Mac before, but I just
> > downloaded it and double-clicked the jorgan.jar file and it started right
> > up.
> >
> > I think a lot of the problems people have with jOrgan on the Mac has been
> > related to audio output.  Installing FluidSynth, which is a favorite
> among
> > many jOrgan users, requires Fink, XCode, etc., which is a not typical
> fare
> > for most.
> >

> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2009 at 11:03 AM, Patrick Lane <pup@sfpuppy.com> wrote:
> >
> >> I too have several friends who have macs and I have succeeded in
> exciting
> >> them about jOrgan.  But macs seems to be "too difficult" to make work.
> >> There is information on nabble, the main problem is the version of java
> >> that
> >> macs use.  I would ask those in the know and who have macs to work out a
> >> solution for mac owners.  Artisan organ have a system that uses mac
> >> computers.  The various mac Operating Systems are a propietary linux
> like
> >> system.
> >>
> >> Patrick

Hello again,

I think, because of the lack of replies to my question (i.e. if anyone has been able to get jOrgan to work on a Mac), I must now give up and change to a PC.

Perhaps mention could be made on the Sourceforge website to the effect that, for the time being at least, the Mac platform is unsuitable for jOrgan. This would be more realistic than the present statement in the Introduction that jOrgan "runs on all major operating systems".  Other Mac users would then not be tempted to go down this most frustrating and time-consuming path..

Don Phillips

Don Phillips wrote
Hello jOrgan users,

The Sourceforge website states that jOrgan "runs on all major operating systems".  I am using a Mac computer and have been trying for several months to install and operate jOrgan without success.  If any readers have been able to do this could they please explain in detail how it was done?  (I do not regard Windows substitution devices such as "Parallels" or "Boot Camp" as running on the Mac operating system.)

I am using OSX-10.5 (Leopard) on a Mac Mini.

Thank you in anticipation.

Don Phillips

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Pete Theisen
Don Phillips wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I think, because of the lack of replies to my question (i.e. if anyone has
> been able to get jOrgan to work on a Mac), I must now give up and change to
> a PC.
>
> Perhaps mention could be made on the Sourceforge website to the effect that,
> for the time being at least, the Mac platform is unsuitable for jOrgan. This
> would be more realistic than the present statement in the Introduction that
> jOrgan "runs on all major operating systems".  Other Mac users would then
> not be tempted to go down this most frustrating and time-consuming path..

Hi Don,

You most likely *can* get jOrgan to run on a mac, since mac runs java.
The j in jOrgan stands for java. Not easy, but not impossible.

Since when is mac a "major operating system", by the way? Not as though
it was real Linux, LOL.

>> The Sourceforge website states that jOrgan "runs on all major operating
>> systems".  I am using a Mac computer and have been trying for several
>> months to install and operate jOrgan without success.  If any readers have
>> been able to do this could they please explain in detail how it was done?
>> (I do not regard Windows substitution devices such as "Parallels" or "Boot
>> Camp" as running on the Mac operating system.)
>>
>> I am using OSX-10.5 (Leopard) on a Mac Mini.

http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

greenfox
Just out of interest, the web site I maintain provides interesting
statistics regarding the operating systems and browsers of visitors to
the site.

Operating Systems
Win            84.3%
MAC            8.7%
Unknown     3.9%
Linux            2.9%

Browsers
MS Internet Explorer   43.6%
Firefox                            42.4%
Safari                                8.7%
Mozilla                             2%
Unknown                        0.8%
Opera                              0.7%
Netshow Player             0.5%
Konqueror                      0.3%
Netscape                         0.2%

Rick (greenfox) wrote:
> Just out of interest, the web site I maintain provides interesting
> statistics regarding the operating systems and browsers of visitors to
> the site.
>
> Operating Systems
> Win            84.3%
> MAC            8.7%
> Unknown     3.9%
> Linux            2.9%

Hi Rick,

Wonder what the topic of your website is that it mainly interests people
who use winder$ and mac?

http://pete-theisen.com/
http://elect-pete-theisen.com/

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

greenfox
Hi Pete

It is:     www.tosa-qld.org         (Our local chapter of the Theatre Organ Society of Australia.)

It also includes a hidden page where I have posted the trial release of my jOrgan Christie disposition.

Pete Theisen wrote:
Rick (greenfox) wrote:

Just out of interest, the web site I maintain provides interesting
statistics regarding the operating systems and browsers of visitors to
the site.

Operating Systems
Win            84.3%
MAC            8.7%
Unknown     3.9%
Linux            2.9%

Hi Rick,

Wonder what the topic of your website is that it mainly interests people
who use winder$ and mac?

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Hi Don,

I've put up a warning on our Wiki:

    http://jorgan.sourceforge.net/installation:mac

BTW I've written it before: If someone donates a Mac, I'll happily
invest time to improve jOrgan to run flawlessly on OS X.

Don Phillips wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> I think, because of the lack of replies to my question (i.e. if anyone has
> been able to get jOrgan to work on a Mac), I must now give up and change to
> a PC.
>
> Perhaps mention could be made on the Sourceforge website to the effect that,
> for the time being at least, the Mac platform is unsuitable for jOrgan. This
> would be more realistic than the present statement in the Introduction that
> jOrgan "runs on all major operating systems".  Other Mac users would then
> not be tempted to go down this most frustrating and time-consuming path..
>

> Don Phillips
>

> Don Phillips wrote:
>
>> Hello jOrgan users,
>>
>> The Sourceforge website states that jOrgan "runs on all major operating
>> systems".  I am using a Mac computer and have been trying for several
>> months to install and operate jOrgan without success.  If any readers have
>> been able to do this could they please explain in detail how it was done?
>> (I do not regard Windows substitution devices such as "Parallels" or "Boot
>> Camp" as running on the Mac operating system.)
>>
>> I am using OSX-10.5 (Leopard) on a Mac Mini.
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation.
>>
>> Don Phillips

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Don Phillips
Hi Sven,

Thank you for that.  I am now looking forward to installing jOrgan on a recently acquired PC.

Regards,

Don Phillips

svenmeier wrote

Don Phillips wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> I think, because of the lack of replies to my question (i.e. if anyone has
> been able to get jOrgan to work on a Mac), I must now give up and change to
> a PC.
>
> Perhaps mention could be made on the Sourceforge website to the effect that,
> for the time being at least, the Mac platform is unsuitable for jOrgan. This
> would be more realistic than the present statement in the Introduction that
> jOrgan "runs on all major operating systems".  Other Mac users would then
> not be tempted to go down this most frustrating and time-consuming path..
>

> Don Phillips
>

> Don Phillips wrote:
>
>> Hello jOrgan users,
>>
>> The Sourceforge website states that jOrgan "runs on all major operating
>> systems".  I am using a Mac computer and have been trying for several
>> months to install and operate jOrgan without success.  If any readers have
>> been able to do this could they please explain in detail how it was done?
>> (I do not regard Windows substitution devices such as "Parallels" or "Boot
>> Camp" as running on the Mac operating system.)
>>
>> I am using OSX-10.5 (Leopard) on a Mac Mini.
>>
>> Thank you in anticipation.
>>
>> Don Phillips

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Henkelman
While I recognize it is a bit late for Don, I will reiterate that I have a jOrgan setup working on a Mac OSX (10.5.8).  It took a while to set it up, but I did post notes on the details when I finally got it working.  They can be found by searching the archives for 'Mac' or found here at:

http://www.nabble.com/Getting-jOrgan-working-on-Mac-OSX-to22444695.html#a22444695

I don't think I posted this result, but fluidsynth 1.0.9 made the process much easier.

My current system is this:

- I have mmj installed to connect my midi input to java (note the restrictions on mmj and that you need to have a 32 bit version of java running.) [Easy to install]
- I am running jOrgan on java 1.5.0_20 32 bit to avoid the problem listed previously. [Easy to install]
- I am using midi patchbay to hook the output of jOrgan to fluidsynth. [Easy to install]
- I have created an apple script to run 3 instances of fluidsynth in three seperate terms.  These are named differently and I pipe the output from my various organ divisions to them seperately with patchbay.  This overcomes the problem of only having 16 voices available on any one instance of fluidsynth. [Not easy to install - see my previous notes for some hints esp. as compiling as su]
- The outputs of the three virtual synths (fluidsynth) are then piped to the sound output using JackOS.
to have an applescript open three instances of fluidsynth. [JackOS was easy to install]

Hope that helps the Mac community.  Until Apple gets around to doing some work on their implementation of Java it will remain difficult.  However, my install works well.  I currently only have one midi keyboard hooked up, but am in the process of converting an old pedalboard to midi so hopefully will have that working around Christmas.

Good luck, Jonathan.

PS. For the benefit of those who might be interested I am attaching my Applescript code.  The reverb files contain a set of commands to set the reverb - based on Paul Stratmans documentation of his experiments.  I have attached one below the AS code for reference.  Shutdown is manual - remember to stop JackOS before closing.

-- Check to see if Jackpilot has a start button
-- Confirm that other apps are not already started - or maybe this doesn't matter if the above is done
-- Create a shutdown script
-- Add a reverb aspect to the startup

-- Get the user to pick an organ and set some constants for later use
set Organs to {"Neobaroque", "Arlesheim", "Silbermann"}
set Reverb to "./dispositions/reverb/med_church.txt"
set MyResult to display dialog "Which organ to load?" buttons Organs default button 1 giving up after 5

if not gave up of MyResult then
        if button returned of MyResult is item 1 of Organs then
                set OrganFile to "./dispositions/Neobaroque.disposition"
                set SoundFile to "./dispositions/sounds/NeoBaroque1.2.sf2"
        else if button returned of MyResult is item 2 of Organs then
                set OrganFile to "./dispositions/Arlesheim.disposition"
                set SoundFile to "./dispositions/sounds/Jeux14R.sf2"
        else if button returned of MyResult is item 3 of Organs then
                set OrganFile to "./dispositions/Silbermann2.disposition"
                set SoundFile to "./dispositions/sounds/SilbermannOrgel_1.0.sf2"
        end if

        -- Open Jack and start, and open PatchBay with the configuration file
        if not (application "JackPilot" is running) then
                tell application "JackPilot" to activate
                -- should check to see if there is a start button!
                tell application "System Events" to tell process "JackPilot" to click button "Start" of window 1
        end if

        tell application "Finder" to open file "Applications:Etc:jOrgan:downloads:FS3.mpb" of startup disk using (application file "Applications:Etc:jOrgan:downloads:MIDI PatchBay.app" of startup disk)

        -- Open 3 instances of fluidsynth with different id's
        tell application "Terminal"
                -- create a new terminal window and run an instance of fluidsynth
                do script "cd /Applications/Etc/jOrgan"
                activate
                do script "/usr/local/bin/fluidsynth -a jack -j -m coremidi -o audio.jack.id=fs1 -p fs1 -f " & Reverb & " " & SoundFile in front window

                -- now open two further tabs and run instances of fluidsynth
                tell application "System Events" to tell process "Terminal" to keystroke "t" using command down
                do script "cd /Applications/Etc/jOrgan" in front window
                do script "/usr/local/bin/fluidsynth -a jack -j -m coremidi -o audio.jack.id=fs2 -p fs2 -f " & Reverb & " " & SoundFile in front window

                tell application "System Events" to tell process "Terminal" to keystroke "t" using command down
                do script "cd /Applications/Etc/jOrgan" in front window
                do script "/usr/local/bin/fluidsynth -a jack -j -m coremidi -o audio.jack.id=fs3 -p fs3 -f " & Reverb & " " & SoundFile in front window
        end tell

        -- Finally open jOrgan with the disposition desired
        do shell script "cd /Applications/Etc/jOrgan; /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5.0/Home/bin/java -jar jorgan.jar " & OrganFile
end if

----------Sample of reverb code --------------
rev_setroomsize 0.8
rev_setdamp 0.3
rev_setwidth 0.8
rev_setlevel 0.4

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

Don Phillips
Hi Jonathon,

Thanks for your reply.  As you would have read I have given up trying to get jOrgan to work on my Mac.  I see you have achieved this but it seems too complicated for me and I have decided to switch to a PC and avoid all the hassles that seem inevitable with the Mac platform.  I want to be able to play jOrgan, not spend countless hours fiddling!

Regards,

Don

Henkelman wrote
[...]

rev_setwidth 0.8
rev_setlevel 0.4

Re: jOrgan on a Mac Computer

This thread is even older than the other one I "revived". I have brought this
one to your attention in the hope that it may provoke some up-to-date
discussion on running jOrgan on the later versions of Mac. Responses from
actual Mac users would be greatly appreciated.