Quantcast

jOrgan and home automation

BrianS
I know jOrgan was written to simulate all the known functions of pope organs - classical and theatre.

I have long wondered and thought about the use of jOrgan with a midi encode and decoder, in the context of home automation and home alarm system.

Once could set it all up with a midi decoder and midi encoder, for inputs and outputs.  We could also develop a 'home automation' skin as well as 'home alarm' skin.  We could also combine it into a single skin. Another use would be a Garden irrigation system.  A custom skin can also be developed for this.

jOrgan would need some new extensions, for example, if you want to switch on or of something at a certain time of the day on a certain day of the week, and so on - we would need a "Real Time Clock' extension.  This is the best I can explain myself.

I know this is off topic regarding organ and music, but if others are interested, we can have a connected Nabble group that is connected to this group, like the jOrgan User and Sound are connected.

Could you please indicate if anybody else is interested in this?

Re: jOrgan and home automation

Paul Kealy
Brian - Count me in to study this potential!

Sorry I just caught up with some old postings, or I would have responded sooner.

Although my passion for organ has come upon me later in my life, my true work has always been in production, as well as recording serious MIDI music.

I use MIDI keyboards to set up theatrical lighting production, powering sixteen channels of stage lighting. Actually, I pre-set an entire show on my NSI lightign console boards with a MIDI-out that captures each change, scene by scene, saving it to MIDI signals.

Then, for the show itself, I simply play a cue key on a MIDI keyboard say a C or C# or D and on and on, each note triggering a MIDI cue to the console. It's great! More sophistication is possible by merging a bunch of cues and then instead of just jumping all around the light console, triggering them with a single pre-defined MIDI key.

As well, There has always been a hope I could cue my "Clear Light(tm)" manufactured MultiMedia Christmas Carol computerized production equipment for my 15-projector multi-media Christmas Carol Sing-Along that I tour to project onto my three giant 9'x13'foldup screens, a theatre screen or a large flat blank mall wall.

Remember the old Kodak Carousel dissolving slideshows from the '60's?
Well, this is that - I have dozens of these programmers, and have a variety of shows - I only wish I had some more pictures of the history of the pipe organ for a decent production for my museum or to tour  (unfortunately, most organ pictures are some dude sitting on a bench smiling at the camera, with the console behind him - most organs played in a dark theatre or sat behind a screen at a church choir loft on upon the balcony.

But I digresssss . .  .    .     .
My awesome multi-media slides (and a couple of video projectors) dissolve and flip sophisticated timed sequences, but alas, those cues are not MIDI.

With a touring theatre organ now, I hope to energize the projector sync pluses live to the playing of a live organist, and can hardly wait.

Was ready to promote the sound of the King of Instruments with a touring organ last year, but learning the precise charts ain't easy.
My scheduled organist Roger Smith passed away.  :(

Previously I have simply linked my computer pulses to a 4 channel stereo orchestration tape I created (recording and mixing down from multiple tape tracks in my studio back in the days of GM MIDI - before I discovered people were taming MIDI to be layered in a MIDI concept choral organ style with multiplied sounds per channel).

I ran my tracks on channels 1 and 2, with channel 3 blank to minimize crosstalk, and the fourth channel carrying the (non-MIDI) projector cues to sync the 15 projectors.

I have never found anyone who could help me transform those projector cues to interface with a MIDI track playing theatre pipe organ racks, so I either have the organist play live, or record the tracks and follow on my projector computer buttons.

Anyhow, I still use MIDI for theatrical lighting and although I have the MIDI organ, it must be played live or recorded with a recorded cue track paralleling it on the ("retro-tech") tape deck.

Although my interest in MIDI applications for home security is lower than low, I know it works for my lighting consoles that transmit to MIDI-reception channels of plug-in lights, and I intend to record theatre organ music on stereo or quad, and lay down a synced sound track, or, since I can record it in MIDI (as the little recorder on my MidiTtzer screen does) to simply record it to playback into four separate speaker cabinets, and follow it with my cue buttons during the show.

pk

On Thursday, March 2, 2017, 3:51:41 AM PST, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
I know jOrgan was written to simulate all the known functions of pope organs - classical and theatre.

I have long wondered and thought about the use of jOrgan with a midi encoder and decoder, in the context of home automation and home alarm system.

Once could set it all up with a midi decoder and midi encoder, for inputs and outputs.  We could also develop a 'home automation' skin as well as 'home alarm' skin.  We could also combine it into a single skin. Another use would be a Garden irrigation system.  A custom skin can also be developed for this.

jOrgan would need some new extensions, for example, if you want to switch on or off something at a certain time of the day on a certain day of the week,and so on - we would need a "Real Time Clock' extension.  This is the best I can explain myself.