Quantcast

jOrgan and Apple's MainStage

Matthew J. Pool
Hello friends!

I'm new to the jOrgan discussion group and am working in the Washington DC area in musical theatre.

I'm currently working on programming keyboards using Apple's MainStage software for an upcoming theatre production that calls for "pipe organ" sounds. This isn't terribly unusual; there are actually quite a few musicals that have organ sounds.

However, my undergrad degree is in organ performance, so I'm incredibly picky about organ sounds, and let's face it: most of the available organ sounds are, well, pretty bad.

MainStage is an incredibly powerful program and is sortof becoming the industry standard in theatre; I think it's probably fair to say that it's used in most Broadway and professional touring pits. It even comes with an impressive drawbar emulator (among many other things), but does not come with anything for pipe organs.

Because MainStage is fundamentally based on the concept of using plugins, I am convinced that it'd be possible to somehow run jOrgan through it. However, I don't know if this is possible to do without making some modifications to the code, and don't know if anyone has ever done this. Which leads me to two questions:

First... Has anyone ever used jOrgan with MainStage (or any other similar "soft synth" software)? Second... if not, MainStage is also capable of playing (indirectly, through a plugin) SF2 and ESX24 files. If I can't run jOrgan through Mainstage directly, does anyone have experience using soundfonts, etc?

Thanks!

- Matthew

--
Matthew J. Pool

Re: jOrgan and Apple's MainStage

Matthew J. Pool wrote
Has anyone ever used jOrgan with MainStage (or any other similar
"soft synth" software)? Second... if not, MainStage is also capable of
playing (indirectly, through a plugin) SF2 and ESX24 files. If I can't run
jOrgan through Mainstage directly, does anyone have experience using
soundfonts, etc?
Matthew,

Welcome to the jOrgan community!

I doubt if anyone here is familiar with MainStage. Certainly I don't recall it ever being mentioned.
Regarding your final question, I'm not sure what you are asking here. A number of people here have considerable experience using and also creating SF2 soundfonts, including the use of high quality samples based on actual recordings of pipe organs. In some cases we have made those samples ourselves.

When using soundfont editors, such as Viena (available on the SynthFont website), it is usually possible to play only one preset at a time. The genius of jOrgan (which is basically a MIDI processor) allows us to play on a large number of presets
combined, exactly as one would combine organ stops.

John Reimer

P.S. If your post receives little attention here, it may be useful to repost it to the main jOrgan Forum.

Re: jOrgan and Apple's MainStage

Matthew J. Pool
Hello, John!

Thanks for your response! Yes, I figured that might be the case, but it didn't hurt to ask. I may re-post my question on the main forum as well.

Do you mind elaborating a bit more on the subject of sound fonts? Do jOrgan sound fonts typically only consist of one stop per reach soundfont? Or are there soundfonts with combinations of stops? I know I can layer soundfonts in MainStage, though I doubt that it's quite as efficient (computer-wise) as it would be in jOrgan...

- Matthew

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Matthew J. Pool wrote
> Has anyone ever used jOrgan with MainStage (or any other similar
> "soft synth" software)? Second... if not, MainStage is also capable of
> playing (indirectly, through a plugin) SF2 and ESX24 files. If I can't run
> jOrgan through Mainstage directly, does anyone have experience using
> soundfonts, etc?

Matthew,

Welcome to the jOrgan community!

I doubt if anyone here is familiar with MainStage. Certainly I don't recall
it ever being mentioned.
Regarding your final question, I'm not sure what you are asking here. A
number of people here have considerable experience using and also creating
SF2 soundfonts, including the use of high quality samples based on actual
recordings of pipe organs. In some cases we have made those samples
ourselves.

When using soundfont editors, such as Viena (available on the SynthFont
website), it is usually possible to play only one preset at a time. The
genius of jOrgan (which is basically a MIDI processor) allows us to play on
a large number of presets
combined, exactly as one would combine organ stops.

John Reimer

P.S. If your post receives little attention here, it may be useful to repost
it to the main jOrgan Forum.

Matthew J. Pool

Re: jOrgan and Apple's MainStage

Matthew J. Pool wrote
Do you mind elaborating a bit more on the subject of sound fonts? Do jOrgan
sound fonts typically only consist of one stop per reach soundfont? Or are
there soundfonts with combinations of stops?
Matthew,

The .sf2 soundfont files used in jOrgan dispositions consist of three levels:
Samples (each a .wav file with markers added to indicate the start and end of the looped section)
Instruments (each  grouping all the samples being used in that Instrument, and arranged in zones (or “splits” - same thing) across the whole playing range, typically MIDI notes 36 to 96
Presets (each containing one OR MORE Instruments).

A preset corresponds usually to one organ stop.

One .sf2 soundfont file can contain many presets. jOrgan selects which are to be active by sending to the sound engine MIDI messages which refer to the appropriate Bank and Preset numbers. The soundfont must already have been loaded into the sound engine, of course.

I have written a tutorial on the use of the Viena soundfont editor (not to be confused with the Vienna editor), and this gives more detailed information on the structure of the soundfonts. The link is found on the Tutorials page of the jOrgan Wiki:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Tutorials

There are such things as Release Samples. I make no reference to them in my tutorial.

Re: jOrgan and Apple's MainStage

Hi Matthew,

I just took a look at Apple's Logic Pro Mainstage3 page, and it looks
like Mainstage supports standard MIDI Input and Output. Therefore it
should work very well with jOrgan.

Make sure you have installed the JAVA runtime environment first
(http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1880261.html)
and then go to http://sourceforge.net/projects/jorgan/files/jorgan-bundle/3.20/
to get the latest version of jOrgan (3.20) for OS-X.

My assumption is that you want to control jOrgan based organs using
MainStage. If so, you will need to install Fluidsynth onto your Mac so
that you can use the Fluidsynth based jOrgan dispositions. This is
more of a challenge... and is typically accomplished using a code
installer application like Fink, HomeBrew, or MacPorts. See the Mac
section at http://sourceforge.net/apps/trac/fluidsynth/wiki/Download
for more information.

Kind regards,
GrahamG