jOrgan Website now ready

12

jOrgan Website now ready

I have completed the first draft of my “jOrgan Discovery” website, which has
the two aims of increasing the presence of jOrgan on the Internet, and of
assisting new users of jOrgan to have a positive experience. The light
traffic we have on this Mailing List/Forum sometimes  puzzles me, given that
there have been over 12,000 downloads made of jOrgan 3.20. Perhaps many
people have tried, and found it too difficult. The website is very
text-centred, and I know that this will not be to everyone's liking, but
it’s the best I can offer. It has taken me longer to compile that I would
have expected, and having just recently begun my 80th year, I am definitely
slowing down.

The website consists of the following pages: HOME, STARTING, ADDING,
GALLERY, F.A.Q., THIS SITE, CONTACT. At the moment the Gallery has audio
recordings hosted on SoundCloud, but I would like to add attractive photos
of users’ jOrgan installations, and would be grateful for any contributions
of photos. I am also asking for some of you to indicate by posts or emails
that you are prepared to read through the website to check for typos, faulty
links, unclear sentences or incorrect information. Furthermore, I would
welcome your help with further material for the ADDING and FAQ pages.

Jonathan Aquilina has generously offered to host this website free of
charge. He also provided some inspiration for the home page, and supplied
the photo which he obtained from a free site. He has ready for the website a
domain name incorporating “jorgan”, and hopefully this will assist Google
and other search engines to locate it. Google doesn’t seem to locate it at
its temporary location.

Temporarily the website is on the webspace provided by my ISP. The link is:
http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan4/index.html

EDITED UPDATE: The permanent address is http://jorgan.info

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

I've just clicked on the link, and the FAQ page should have some content,
which it doesn't. I shall try to remedy this immediately, and if you have
trouble downloading, it simply means that you caught a moment when I was
updating the site.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

John Reimer wrote
> I've just clicked on the link, and the FAQ page should have some content,
> which it doesn't.

Actually it's working on Chrome, but not on Firefox. And it certainly worked
earlier on IE. So I don't know what to do next.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

Brian Sweetnam
Thank you John,

I'm sure this effort will be rewarded with some new jOrgan users having
success. I too am puzzled by the light traffic.  I think Lynn or someone
mentioned that perhaps everybody has achieved what they wanted to achieve.
For me, this is not yet true.  I LOVE jOrgan and intend using it for as long
as I can.

Regrards,

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

And congratualations on your 80'th year.  Not many of us will be so lucky.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

John Reimer wrote
> I don't know what to do next.

The penny dropped while I was having my evening meal. I emptied Firefox's
History content, and the problem disappeared. It was of course happening on
my computer only.

Brian, thank you for your posts. And thank you for your enthusiasm, and for
the way you are pioneering new uses for jOrgan.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

Dr Mark Bugeja MD

That's great!

I will publish the link on my website - Maltese Historic Pipe Organs - once
the hosting site is finalised.

Regards
Mark

Ad Multos Annos!

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

jOrgan - User mailing list
WOW!
Your participation is significant to many of us, and the website is awesome.

You exhibit an extremely youthful spirit, regardless of your age, coupled with a wealth of value only a lifetime of understanding could ever produce. That you share so freely is a blessing to us all.

Cannot believe the intensity of information you are bringing to breathe new life of the King of Instruments today to those of us who desperately seek to maximize your efforts.

The only reason I have delayed my project is that my equipment was "temporarily" placed in the hands of another, dragging my project for months of delay as he was stricken with difficulties beyond his - and my - control.

I am sure there are many others who follow your efforts but may be silent in their praise. Some of us sacrifice our lifestyle in difficult times. Hope is on the horizon for many of us as you touch the world from your corner of the kingdom and reach out to train us in the details we require for success.

Do not lose heart.
jOrgan has been my only lingering hope of salvation, and hope springs eternal to enable me to resume my halted projects.

Keep us posted. I for one, appreciate - and rely heavily - on the text you supply. My lack of completing a suitable installation has been totally out of my hands, but your willingness to share your knowledge is a lifeline for which I am extremely grateful.

pk

Saturday, April 21, 2018, 10:29 PM PDT, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi all,

[...]

Jonathan Acquilana has generously offered to host this website free of
charge. He also provided some inspiration for the home page, and supplied
the photo which he obtained from a free site. He has ready for the website a
domain name incorporating “jorgan”, and hopefully this will assist Google
and other search engines to locate it. Google doesn’t seem to locate it at
its temporary location.

Temporarily the website is on the webspace provided by my ISP.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

Chris P
John

Thanks for the good work of keeping jOrgan alive.
The site is looking good and will be a useful reference piece for jOrgan
lovers.

Can I suggest that you make a reference, if you already haven't, to the
jOrgan videos available on Youtube.
These should give an indication of what can be achieved in both console
design and range of dispositions. A simple search of "jOrgan" will find most
of them!

I will send you by pm photos of my console for possible use on the site.

Regards

Chris P

-----
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

Paul,

Thank you for your words of appreciation. The truth of the matter is that I
would not have been able to produce this website without the spare copy of
the website-making program you graciously sent me in the mail.

Once the website is up and running, I want to turn my attention to getting
the jOrgan Wiki back into active circulation, with BCA's help. Then before
long, I  hope to turn my home VPO into a 2xRaspberry Pi 3B/jOrgan
installation, using two stereo channels and a small touch screen, plus
various combination piston controls. For the audio, I plan to use two Audio
Technica ATR2USB audio adaptors ($25 AUD here in Australia; $12.50 USD in
the States). I bought one from a local music store 2 days ago, and it works
nicely with Ubuntu Linux and with Windows. Presumably it will work with the
Pi. Its spec claims CD quality, and +&- 1dB 20 Hz to 20 Khz.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

Brian Sweetnam
John,

you are going to be happy with the 2 X Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, the
performance is extraordinary, given such a low powered computer.

A new Raspberry Pi has just been introduced by the Pi Foundation, it is
called the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B +.

The main advantage is that you have a native clock speed of 1.4 GHz.  Keep
in mind, that even once you think your setup is complete, you can still add
more Raspberry Pi's, and so have more audio channels available.  I would
like to state that the price I paid for my 10 channel audio card, the
Delta1010lt, will today buy me 20 Raspberry Pi Zero W, as well as a
HifiBerry card for each one.  That will give 20 Gig of RAM (albeit
distributed over 20 Raspberry Pi's, as well as 40 seperate audio channels.
Is that not amazing?

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

greenfox
Hi John

I have taken a detailed look at this web site you have created. It is an astounding work and beautifully done conveying your awe and appreciation of jOrgan.

I have not yet read every word, but have scanned through all pages and tested many links without finding any errors.

Your dedication to jOrgan is impressive, from starting to learn about MIDI through creating your own dispositions, to creating your own soundfonts and building complete dispositions of all your own content.

I regret that other life commitments have dramatically reduced my time spent with jOrgan and my growth with it. One of those other commitments though has been the real Christie Theatre Pipe Organ, for which jOrgan was the perfect learning ground for me to become useful in leading its  ongoing maintenance and improvement.

Thank you and congratulations!

Kind regards
RickW

On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 at 01:38 Brian Sweetnam <[hidden email]> wrote:
John,

you are going to be happy with the 2 X Raspberry Pi 3 Model B, the
performance is extraordinary, given such a low powered computer.

A new Raspberry Pi has just been introduced by the Pi Foundation, it is
called the Raspberry Pi 3 Model B +.

The main advantage is that you have a native clock speed of 1.4 GHz.  Keep
in mind, that even once you think your setup is complete, you can still add
more Raspberry Pi's, and so have more audio channels available.  I would
like to state that the price I paid for my 10 channel audio card, the
Delta1010lt, will today buy me 20 Raspberry Pi Zero W, as well as a
HifiBerry card for each one.  That will give 20 Gig of RAM (albeit
distributed over 20 Raspberry Pi's, as well as 40 seperate audio channels.
Is that not amazing?

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

Rick,

Thank you. I suspect that most of us are very busy with all sorts of things,
few of them trivial. I have the advantage of now being retired for the past
14 years. It is true that I have other pressing matters on my plate, but I
am glad that it has been possible to devote a lot of my time to jOrgan. And
for me, it has certainly delivered the goods.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

lwalls
John,

This is an excellent web site.  Personally I prefer text-centered web sites.  To me, all
the eye-catching visual candy that so many web sites have turned to is annoying.  I would
much rather have a link with WORDS that explain what it leads to rather than some pictoral
icon.

You web site is extremely easy to navigate.  Please keep it that way!

Lynn

On 4/22/2018 1:29 AM, John Reimer wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have completed the first draft of my “jOrgan Discovery” website, which has
> the two aims of increasing the presence of jOrgan on the Internet, and of
> assisting new users of jOrgan to have a positive experience. The light
> traffic we have on this Mailing List/Forum sometimes  puzzles me, given that
> there have been over 12,000 downloads made of jOrgan 3.20. Perhaps many
> people have tried, and found it too difficult. The website is very
> text-centred, and I know that this will not be to everyone's liking, but
> it’s the best I can offer. It has taken me longer to compile that I would
> have expected, and having just recently begun my 80th year, I am definitely
> slowing down.
>
> The website consists of the following pages: HOME, STARTING, ADDING,
> GALLERY, F.A.Q., THIS SITE, CONTACT. At the moment the Gallery has audio
> recordings hosted on SoundCloud, but I would like to add attractive photos
> of users’ jOrgan installations, and would be grateful for any contributions
> of photos. I am also asking for some of you to indicate by posts or emails
> that you are prepared to read through the website to check for typos, faulty
> links, unclear sentences or incorrect information. Furthermore, I would
> welcome your help with further material for the ADDING and FAQ pages.
>
> Jonathan Acquilana has generously offered to host this website free of
> charge. He also provided some inspiration for the home page, and supplied
> the photo which he obtained from a free site. He has ready for the website a
> domain name incorporating “jorgan”, and hopefully this will assist Google
> and other search engines to locate it. Google doesn’t seem to locate it at
> its temporary location.
>
> Temporarily the website is on the webspace provided by my ISP. The link is:
> http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan4/index.html
>
> John Reimer
>

> --
> Sent from: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-User-f999863.html

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

Following up Roy's helpful link in another thread, I have added to the FAQ
page with an item regarding the use of touchscreens with Linux (in this
case, Ubuntu particularly).

Google is still not picking up my jORGAN DISCOVERY website, even after I
sent them the web address. The address will stay as I earlier announced, as
nothing useful has come of Jonathan's offer to host the website. It has been
suggested to me that Google will show the website in its jOrgan searches if
enough people go to it. So I am hopefully requesting you all to put the link
in your Favourites/Bookmarks and to bombard it with hits until we have
success. The link is
http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan4/index.html

At the moment with Google, the most obvious returns to such a jOrgan search
are BCA's link to the jOrgan Wiki, and the link to this Forum. I am of the
opinion that the Wiki is not the best place for beginners to make a start
with jOrgan, and that is the main reason I created the website. But the
website is of no use unless it is somehow brought to people's attention. In
accordance with this fact, I am giving notice that I shall create a "Sticky
Thread" in the Mailing List/Nabble Forum to get the attention of people new
to jOrgan who have found their way to the Forum. Unfortunately it can't be a
real Sticky Thread, but with constant brief updates I shall make sure that
it stays near the top of the threads, until such time as Google picks up the
website for us. My apologies to people who read only the Mailing List, but I
am sure you know where the Delete key is.

I repeat my request that you contribute to the website with FAQ items or
photos of your jOrgan installations. I do plan to add to the Gallery page
with links to various sites involving jOrgan in a positive way, and you may
like to contribute such also, if you have discovered any.

Best wishes,

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

John Reimer wrote
> The address will stay as I earlier announced, as
> nothing useful has come of Jonathan's offer to host the website.

Jonathan has just been in touch by email, and has told me that the set-up
process has been initiated.
Therefore you should not start bombarding this new website until I advise
you of the new address.

Re: jOrgan Website now ready

eagles051387
Hi Roy,

Just got John setup on my server. I have a passion for music and this bridges the gap between music and technology which is my other passion. As long as I can I will keep John's hard work up and running.
Jonathan Aquilina

I think the strong first step in getting your site and Google acquainted is here: https://www.google.com/webmasters/verification/home?hl=en

 Here's a video of my installation in use: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QZLb8aq8fg