jOrgan Pi Alpha

12

jOrgan Pi Alpha

For those of you who are willing to try the Raspberry Pi 3 with
jOrgan, here is my work-in-progress jOrgan Pi page (with Raspbian
Jesse + jOrgan image download link and JACK configuration section):
https://sites.google.com/site/savirtualorgans/jorganpi

You will need a 16Gig micro SD card to run this, as I have
pre-installed a lot of organs!

The jOrgan Pi operating system is released under the GPL license (as
it is Raspbian based). The various jOrgan dispositions are released
under their own licenses (most of them are Creative Commons
Non-Commercial).

If you have questions and comments please either post them here, or
send them to [hidden email]

Let the fun begin!

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Graham,

Thank you for all the effort involved. This is going to be a great help for those wanting to explore the use of Pi for jOrgan.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Peter Hanlon
Thanks for your goode work Graham. Looks like it is time to smarten my ideas up and get a Raspberry Pi complex.

Thanks also for your advice on Teensy 3.2 which I inadvertently called Tiny in a previous post.

Peter Hanlon

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

I've added a link to a jOrgan Pi base SD image - Raspbian with
Fluidsynth and jOrgan 3.21 installed, with no dispositions. It can be
loaded on a 4Gig or larger SD card. See
https://sites.google.com/site/savirtualorgans/jorganpi for the link :)

Kind regards,

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Julie Porter
I was at the local makerspace meetup tonight.

A few weeks back I got a pi3-B and a 7 inch display.  I was a bit disappointed that the Pi display was not HDMI as I was wanting to use it also as a seconds screen on the mac.

Anyway I was finally able to copy the 3.21-beta image I downloaded last August onto the SD card that  I formatted at that time.

On running the jorgan.jar from the command line I got the familiar GUI.  I did not have access to my current disposition so I do not know how well it will work.

I am a bit fuzzy about the fluidsynth thing.   The soundfonts I use were as expected not found as these have yet to be installed in /usr/local/share/sounds.

Am I to understand that fluidsynth backend is installed in this build?   If I were to install the sound fonts, I use, then I might get some audio from the built in hardware?

There still seems to be a bit of research needed on ALSA,  I can not remember if JACK is a windows thing.

---

The open house over the weekend went well.   The Organ sounded much better than expected.   The lack of a swell pedal was remarked upon.  That is my #! priority.  I still would like to know if it is absolutely necessary to use ControlChange (0xB0) or if there is a way I can use the existing MIDI on events to control the continuous-filter volume.  I tried looking at the java source, for the MPL parser.  it looks even more abstract than my postscript.  I could not figure out which file the MPL parser is in.

I could hack either the Arduino MIDI bridge code, which I am hesitant to do as this breaks the portability of using the translator on any existent console.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Pete Theisen
A little bit about "fluids" can be observed in the 1964 Film Dr.
Strangelove :-)

On 05/03/2017 02:35 AM, Julie Porter wrote:
> I am a bit fuzzy about the fluidsynth thing.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Hi Julie,

Yes, if you're not using the images that I uploaded this week (sounds
like you're not), then you'll need to install Fluidsynth in order for
a jOrgan-fluidsynth disposition to load. And then put the soundfonts
wherever the disposition expects them to be. On my jOrgan Pi
distribution I have all the jOrgan dispositions, skins, soundfonts,
memory, and MIDI files in their own folders in a jOrgan folder in
Documents.

Rasbian Jesse comes with JACK already installed. You can either run
qjackctl from the command line, or enable it in the Multimedia menu.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 5/3/17, Julie Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I was at the local makerspace meetup tonight.
>
> A few weeks back I got a pi3-B and a 7 inch display.  I was a bit
> disappointed that the Pi display was not HDMI as I was wanting to use it
> also as a seconds screen on the mac.
>
> Anyway I was finally able to copy the 3.21-beta image I downloaded last
> August onto the SD card that  I formatted at that time.
>
> On running the jorgan.jar from the command line I got the familiar GUI.  I
> did not have access to my current disposition so I do not know how well it
> will work.
>
> I am a bit fuzzy about the fluidsynth thing.   The soundfonts I use were as
> expected not found as these have yet to be installed in
> /usr/local/share/sounds.
>
> Am I to understand that fluidsynth backend is installed in this build?   If
> I were to install the sound fonts, I use, then I might get some audio from
> the built in hardware?
>
> There still seems to be a bit of research needed on ALSA,  I can not
> remember if JACK is a windows thing.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Paul Kealy
I prefer soundcards - My problem with fluidsynth has been the latency problem - has that issue been solved?
pk

On 05/03/2017 02:35 AM, Julie Porter wrote:
> I am a bit fuzzy about the fluidsynth thing.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

BrianS
Hi Paul,

The latency problem with Fluidsynth has been solved, both in Windows as well as in Linux.

In order to reduce the latency in Windows I think I used port-audio extensions with Jack Audio Connection Kit for Windows.

In order to reduce the latency in Linux (and therefore also in Raspbian) I simply use Jack Audio Connection Kit for Linux.  Like Java, Jack is also pre-instaled on the Raspbian operating system, and it works well.

Graham Goode will be able to provide the best technical explanation regarding this issue.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

The Dsound driver in Windows has a couple of software layers to go
through before it reaches the soundcard, and so is prone to latency
(although most modern PCs are now fast enough that this does not
matter). To overcome this latency we use drivers that speak directly
to the soundcard - ASIO, WDK-KS, and WASAPI. JACK for Windows connects
to the soundcard directly through ASIO. In linux the audio driver is
typically ALSA, which is already low latency. Using JACK just makes it
easier to connect multiple Fluidsynth elements to the audio device,
and add things like VST reverbs.l

On 5/3/17, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
> The latency problem with Fluidsynth has been solved, both in Windows as
> well
> as in Linux.
>
> In order to reduce the latency in Windows I think I used port-audio
> extensions with Jack Audio Connection Kit for Windows.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Julie Porter wrote
Am I to understand that fluidsynth backend is installed in this build?

I still would like to know if it is absolutely necessary to use ControlChange (0xB0) or if there is a way I can use the existing MIDI on events to control the continuous-filter volume.  I tried looking at the java source, for the MPL parser.
Julie,
Regarding the first question, an easy way to see if the backends have been included is to locate the main jOrgan folder (which in Windows would be in Program Files), open the lib folder, then open the Fluidsynth folder. If no backends are there, you will see only one folder: default (I think). But if you are not using Graham’s download, it is unlikely for the backends to be there.

Re the second matter, I (probably in my ignorance) assumed that the MPL we use in jOrgan was Sven’s own construction. (I did a Google on MPL, and found nothing that suggested otherwise).  The only documented information we have on the MPL syntax is, apart from it being mentioned in numerous jOrgan forum threads, to be found in the jOrgan Wiki. Lynn Walls is the great authority on its use, and he is impressively fluent in MPL. I am sure that Paul Stratman is very able in its use, also. But for most lesser mortals, MPL is rather like learning a new language, and if you don’t use it, you lose it! That has certainly been my experience, not only with a number of “foreign” languages, ancient and modern, which I have had to study in years past, but also with MPL. I have to do new things with MPL so infrequently, I find each time that I have forgotten whatever meagre knowledge I once had of its use.

Thank you for the video. It’s always encouraging to see jOrgan being used successfully in various situations.

By the way, if you sometimes don’t receive answers to your questions on this forum, don’t assume that we are ignoring you. Speaking for myself, I don’t have the technical knowledge that would always allow me to understand exactly what you are asking! And I am sure that I am not Robinson Crusoe. A lot of the time when making up our own dispositions, we get our clues from how others (notably Paul Stratman) have achieved various functions in their dispositions.

I might add that for me, the main documentation for understanding jOrgan has been the jOrgan Wiki, and Bruce Miles’ Notes. It has been a long journey, yet abundantly worthwhile.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

jOrgan Pi is a LINUX distribution and as such does not use the
Fluidsynth backend system that Windows does.

For a Linux system there is just one jOrgan condition: is Fluidsynth
installed on the Operating System or not? Raspbian does not come with
Fluidsynth pre-installed, so I have installed it for the jOrgan Pi SD
images that I have released. It has ALSA and JACK connections
available.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Peter Hanlon
Hi Graham,

I am at a loss as to whether I need a FREE Mega account or paid subscription or guest mode or whatever to download the 1.2gB RAR. I tried without much luck to download the 5gB full set.

I note no other posts concerning download hassles but I am finding Mega pretty incomprehensible. Is there a Little Golden Book I should have read?

Thanks,

Peter Hanlon

> On 5 May 2017, at 3:12 pm, Graham Goode <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> jOrgan Pi is a LINUX distribution and as such does not use the
> Fluidsynth backend system that Windows does.
>
> For a Linux system there is just one jOrgan condition: is Fluidsynth
> installed on the Operating System or not? Raspbian does not come with
> Fluidsynth pre-installed, so I have installed it for the jOrgan Pi SD
> images that I have released. It has ALSA and JACK connections
> available.
>
> GrahamG

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

grahamg
Hi Peter,

You don't need a MEGA account or paid subscription to download.

What browser are you using? I would suggest using Google Chrome or
Firefox. On your initial visit to the MEGA site you may need to
download the MEGA addon for your browser (this used to be the case,
but might not be any more). On the download screen, click on the
"Download through your browser" option.

Let us know what happens.

GrahamG

On 5/5/17, Peter Hanlon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi Graham,
>
> I am at a loss as to whether I need a FREE Mega account or paid subscription
> or guest mode or whatever to download the 1.2gB RAR. I tried without much
> luck to download the 5gB full set.
>
> I note no other posts concerning download hassles but I am finding Mega
> pretty incomprehensible. Is there a Little Golden Book I should have read?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Peter Hanlon

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Peter Hanlon
Hi Graham,

I set up a Free account yesterday, and somehow(!!) managed to download the 1.2G file using the Download via MEGA option. I will retrace my steps as you suggest. I am using Firefox and a Windows 10 partition on an Apple Mac Air. I extracted to a 16Gb USB using 7zip/Winzip. The SD card in its holder did not seem to be recognised by the Windows partition, so I moved to the OS X partition, and used Etcher as you suggested to burn the SD. I had to put the SD plus holder into a card reader with a USB connector, but at least Etcher worked straightforwardly, wrote the file and verified it as OK.
It would probably have worked on Windows as well with the USB converter.

Hassles with large files cause me to remember trying to dump the contents of a large fixed disc on Christmas Eve in 1974. It stood about 1.9m X 1.4m X 1.4m, total storage 800Mb!! Truly. It required clear contiguous space for its dump file, and we manually defragged it over many hours.

Thanks for your help Graham.

I will be days getting the Raspberry Pi complex established. They have a trial SD with NOOBS, and I know not if it is pronounced as boobs or NO OBS.

Peter

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Peter Hanlon
Hi Graham,

I haven’t made much progress with your Raspberry Pi image. I started with the kit NOOBS, which booted OK, except that the 7” display screen is badly dimensioned. It also highlighted that I need to spend some time educating myself. I had 2 USBs for keyboard and mouse, and a third for the display power, and HTMI for the display data.

I then tried your image,  and it progressed some way, but finished with a unresponsive screen with a few vertical striations at left. For a few seconds, it presented a ‘Welcome to Pixel’ screen with a Menu control and a Wastebasket icon. I couldn’t locate any logs etc on the SD subsequently. Possibly I haven’t initialised the full disk (16Gb) before Etchering it. I will proceed in this direction anyway. The unpacked img is 3.7Gb, which seems in the right ballpark.

Peter Hanlon

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

BrianS
Hi Peter (and all),

You mention that you are using a 7' screen connected via HDMI.

Firstly, may I ask, is this a WaveShare product?

May I suggest that you follow these steps in order for a successful installation:

1. Power off your Pi system.
2. Remove your 7' screen.
3. Connect a regular 1920 x 1080 HD screen via an HDMI cable.
4. With your screen you should have received settings to manually set the resolution for the 7' screen in the following file: /boot/config.txt.
5. You should edit this file file with the settings that you received with your screen.
6. Install the touch drivers (if it is a touch screen).
7. Shut down and remove power from your Pi system.
8. Disconnect the 'normal' full HD screen, and re-connect your 7' screen.
9. Power up your Pi system.  All should now be ok, you should see everything, and the screen should be the correct resolution, with no striations.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Peter Hanlon
Thanks Brian,

The RPi works well enough on my Samsung TV, which I think might be an intermediate HD.

The 7” display came with a DVD and bugger all else. The DVD has a few files in English, including the config.txt, and GitHub download-the-driver instructions. The touch screen works to some extent at least. I imagine that I need to merge a few config lines from the DVD into the config.txt supplied with the RPi.

I can’t find any manufacturer detail within the DVD, although there are reasonable sets of documentation for set-up, calibrating the touch screen, installing a matchbox keyboard etc. the LCD is described as LCD-7B, with B denoting 800X480.

But my hassle is that the above just about works and I can see a whole new world of options - Wolfram Mathematica, Python, etc etc, but when I boot from the SD built from Graham’s stuff, it produces only a few command line outputs, then the screen which persists for a few seconds, and then takes on a ghastly end-of-life pallour.

I thought it may have been SD initialisation, but rebuilt it all from scratch, and get the same result. It could conceivably be the display overloading the RPi USB power capacity, and I will look at a powered USB hub. I will also try to list the boot results. One line I think was whingeing about a forward-dated mount..

Thanks for your interest Brian,

Peter

On 11 May 2017, at 4:20 pm, BrianS [via jOrgan] <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-Pi-Alpha-tp4664874p4664918.html
To start a new topic under jOrgan - User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jOrgan, click here.
NAML

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

BrianS
Hi Peter,

You are welcome.

The key thing to remember is no matter which image you use, you have to 'personalize' it to your own screen. So, no matter which Raspbian image you are going to be using, you need to edit the config.txt file, while the Pi is connected to your TV for example. Then, after editing this file correctly, you can remove it from your TV and plug in your 7 inch screen.

You have to enter the resolution values of your touch screen.  Here are the lines from my config.txt file, that setup my screen resolution correctly:

# Setup 10 inch display
max_usb_current=1
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=87
hdmi_cvt 1024 600 120 6 0 0 0
display_rotate=2

If you study the above, you will see that my resolution is 1024x600.
Perhaps you could try to enter your screen's own values here. Also, the "display_rotate" is to rotate my screen display depending on how I am going to mount it.  I think each number rotates it by 90 degrees (number being 1, 2, 3 and so on.)

I hope this helps.

Re: jOrgan Pi Alpha

Peter Hanlon
Thanks Brian,

HTMI Display is now sorted out with the NOOBS SD supplied with the gear, with commands very like yours below. The screen actually looks quite good now, and I shut down the system using the touch screen.

I will do some more work on the jOrgan Pi Alpha SD to see what is going on there. I don’t even remember seeing a config.txt. At least now I have a reference system going.

My good wife is a compulsive cleaner, and I had better be very careful not too leave too many micro SDs about. They will be devoured by the vacuum cleaner.

Cheers,

Peter Hanlon

12