jOrgan LAN

jOrgan - User mailing list
Greetings...
                ...I am spent several days attempting to understand how to
transmit MIDI data with the jOrgan LAN element... if I used the correct
term.  I have been unable to find comprehensive understanding, "how to's"
and definitions regarding this.  I am not saying that individuals don't
understand how it works... but I can't find enough information in one spot
to be able to craft, for instance, a duplicate stop that plays in another
location like an antiphonal.

So far I have a Win7PC transmitting to another Win7PC and also transmitting
to a OS x High Sierra Mac running the new Beta.  (at the same time) Remote
stops turning on and off and playing thru SoundBlaster and FluidSynth using
the Audio-Technica USB ATR2USB on the MAC.  (test definition)

I will also test Wi-Fi and Direct Cable and document that.

The goal is to create a document that a beginner can read and use.

My question is:  what kinds of questions would everyone like answered?

As Jack Horkheimer used to say, "Keep looking up."
Cheers
Marc-Paul

Re: jOrgan LAN

jbeach2646
Marc-Paul,  the first link below gives the particular information for the
LAN extension in jOrgan.  You have to specify the number of devices in
jOrgan View>Configuration>LAN.  On the same page, there is a link to
"multimidicast-for-windows" and that link is the second listed below.
Creating an antiphonal stop or division of stops would require a separate
Fluidsynth sound source in the jOrgan disposition  with output through the
output of a sound card to an amplifier and speaker located for the purpose
and dedicated to it.  Panning in the soundfont can be used to send a signal
either left or right with respect to the audio channel output of the
soundcard of the PC.  This can be done so that a PC having two sound cards
(onboard and one expansion slot) can use four, separate amplifiers with
speakers, giving a broader, physical output of sound.  I do this, separating
flutes and reeds from diapasons and strings.  Ideally, reeds and mixtures
might better be outputted from the same set of speakers, the ensemble blend
taking place, acoustically,  in the ambience of the room,  rather than it
taking place in the speakers which are outputting with whatever distortion
or harmonic distortion might occur as a result of transmission through the
same speaker system.

John Beach

http://jorgan-home.de/mediawiki_en/index.php?title=Lan_extension
https://bitbucket.org/moumar/multimidicast-for-windows/downloads/

Re: jOrgan LAN

jOrgan - User mailing list wrote
> I am spent several days attempting to understand how to
> transmit MIDI data with the jOrgan LAN element...

Hi Marc-Paul,

I have been through this exercise recently, as my thread on investigating
the use of Raspberry Pi3 B+ indicates. I am using a laptop running Linux
Ubuntu to communicate with the RPi using wlan (i.e. WiFi). I am having good
success with communication in both directions, except for the fact that
rapid playing causes MIDI problems.

The one thing I have been unable to achieve is using a wired connection. I
believe that success here would get rid of the rapid playing problem. So my
failure to get communication between the two instances of jOrgan is the
matter I would like to see solved (I can ping each computer from the other
using a wired connection, but still no jOrgan lan communication is
happening).

It is possible, I suppose, that there is some configuration of the Raspberry
Pi which I still need to discover. But it is certainly not needed for the
wlan to work.

Re: jOrgan LAN

jOrgan - User mailing list
Hi John...
          ...I will need to ask you a couple questions.  Then I will check
it out.

Are you using a CAT5e or equivalent cable to connect directly from one
computer to another...  or are you going thru a hub/switch?

The answer changes the configuration of the NIC and cable on any computer.

Using wireless assumes a router which would have a DHCP server in it...
unless it has been configured as a wireless access point.
Cheers
Marc-Paul

> I am spent several days attempting to understand how to
> transmit MIDI data with the jOrgan LAN element...

Hi Marc-Paul,

I have been through this exercise recently, as my thread on investigating
the use of Raspberry Pi3 B+ indicates. I am using a laptop running Linux
Ubuntu to communicate with the RPi using wlan (i.e. WiFi). I am having good
success with communication in both directions, except for the fact that
rapid playing causes MIDI problems.

The one thing I have been unable to achieve is using a wired connection. I
believe that success here would get rid of the rapid playing problem. So my
failure to get communication between the two instances of jOrgan is the
matter I would like to see solved (I can ping each computer from the other
using a wired connection, but still no jOrgan lan communication is
happening).

It is possible, I suppose, that there is some configuration of the Raspberry
Pi which I still need to discover. But it is certainly not needed for the
wlan to work.

Re: jOrgan LAN

jOrgan - User mailing list wrote
> Hi John......I will need to ask you a couple questions.

Hi Marc-Paul,

For the attempt at a wired connection, I used a single ethernet cable, and
pinging worked in both directions . For the wlan, I use a wireless router,
and as I have said, it gives me no problems at all, except for the rapid
playing business.

Re: jOrgan LAN

jOrgan - User mailing list
Ok... thanks... so ping or no ping... you may need a crossover cable for
direct connect, and assignment of a fixed ip address different in each
computer.  So if I could look at the specs of the NIC in your pi we can
tell.  Would you mind telling me the exact hardware you are using.
Thanks
Marc-Paul

> Hi John......I will need to ask you a couple questions.

Hi Marc-Paul,

For the attempt at a wired connection, I used a single ethernet cable, and
pinging worked in both directions . For the wlan, I use a wireless router,
and as I have said, it gives me no problems at all, except for the rapid
playing business.

Re: jOrgan LAN

jOrgan - User mailing list
My testing environment is now setup.  It consists of a Win7 PC transmitting
to Mac HighSierra on lan, another PC on lan and a RPi on a direct cable from
the first PC on a second NIC.  I have available a SnowLeopard Mac and Win10
computer also.

My thought was to create a disposition on something like Jeux2 with TX & RX
side by side on different stops so it could be setup easily on a second
computer to study.  Basic with documentation.

I would like to invite suggestions.

I also have a question relevant to the Lan Extension.  Does anyone know the
port number used in UDP for the extension?
Cheers
Marc-Paul

> I am spent several days attempting to understand how to
> transmit MIDI data with the jOrgan LAN element...

Hi Marc-Paul,

I have been through this exercise recently, as my thread on investigating
the use of Raspberry Pi3 B+ indicates. I am using a laptop running Linux
Ubuntu to communicate with the RPi using wlan (i.e. WiFi). I am having good
success with communication in both directions, except for the fact that
rapid playing causes MIDI problems.

The one thing I have been unable to achieve is using a wired connection. I
believe that success here would get rid of the rapid playing problem. So my
failure to get communication between the two instances of jOrgan is the
matter I would like to see solved (I can ping each computer from the other
using a wired connection, but still no jOrgan lan communication is
happening).

It is possible, I suppose, that there is some configuration of the Raspberry
Pi which I still need to discover. But it is certainly not needed for the
wlan to work.

Re: jOrgan LAN

jOrgan - User mailing list wrote
> Does anyone know the
> port number used in UDP for the extension?

Marc-Paul,

I don’t know if the following RPi thread is relevant, but you will have a
better idea of that than I do:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=15739

I think that the problem there was diagnosed as a hardware problem, with the
RPi being returned to the supplier for a replacement. What a pity that the
original poster did not report on his experience with the replacement.