jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

Peter Hanlon
As part of my continuing engagement with jOrgan, I tried to install from the Mac OSX 3.20 dmg of 3.6 mb. I am running OSX Mavericks 10.9. There was an immediate problem with OSX reporting ‘damaged install disk - please eject’ or similar sentiments. I found a solution on Internet, basically assessed as a component of the build not having sufficient certification, with a solution of opening the security to allow the installation, then closing it afterwards. OSX then must put the jOrgan reference into some exception list, and allows the application to operate thereafter.

I am not a Mac guru in any sense, but it appears that OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only, and won’t allow me to save test dispositions etc. Is there an easy way out?  A chmod command perhaps?

On my other development front, I have made excellent progress on extending my Arduino code to generate MIDI commands emulating MIDI keyboards, and with the addition of a cheap MIDI to USB dongle, the Mac is happy to play sounds generated by the Arduino. So happily I am moving from the soldering iron to software, which is at least a bit more tractable.

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

greenfox
Hi Peter

I can't help with the MAC aspects, but congratulations on your progress with your hardware and MIDI.

On 14 October 2014 08:35, Peter Hanlon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks Rick,

It is all starting to happen. It might have been quicker. The dongle has connections to support the USB cable at one end, and a MIDI-IN and a MIDI-OUT at the other. I forgot that OUT from the Arduino is IN to the dongle! Apart from the MIDI-USB complexity, one 220 ohm resistor was the only hardware addition to allow the Arduino to converse in out-bound MIDI. I am avidly reading Bill Skees Unfinished Symphonies jOrgan 1-4.

Cheers
Peter

On 14 October 2014 08:35, Peter Hanlon <<a href="x-msg://2/user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&amp;node=4661669&amp;i=0" target="_top" rel="nofollow" link="external">[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-Install-on-Mac-OSX-Permissions-Problem-tp4661668p4661669.html
To start a new topic under jOrgan - User, email [hidden email]
To unsubscribe from jOrgan, click here.
NAML

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

Hi Peter,

 >I found a solution on Internet, basically assessed as a component of
the build not having sufficient certification,

if you can give us some more details, we might improve the jOrgan
bundle. Do you have some links?

 > OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only

You should copy the "dispositions" folder into your home directory and
continue your work there. It's the same for Windows users.

Have fun
Sven

On 10/14/2014 12:35 AM, Peter Hanlon wrote:

> As part of my continuing engagement with jOrgan, I tried to install from the Mac OSX 3.20 dmg of 3.6 mb. I am running OSX Mavericks 10.9. There was an immediate problem with OSX reporting ‘damaged install disk - please eject’ or similar sentiments. I found a solution on Internet, basically assessed as a component of the build not having sufficient certification, with a solution of opening the security to allow the installation, then closing it afterwards. OSX then must put the jOrgan reference into some exception list, and allows the application to operate thereafter.
>
> I am not a Mac guru in any sense, but it appears that OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only, and won’t allow me to save test dispositions etc. Is there an easy way out?  A chmod command perhaps?
>
> On my other development front, I have made excellent progress on extending my Arduino code to generate MIDI commands emulating MIDI keyboards, and with the addition of a cheap MIDI to USB dongle, the Mac is happy to play sounds generated by the Arduino. So happily I am moving from the soldering iron to software, which is at least a bit more tractable.

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

eagles051387
If you are talking about a USB disk OSX will mark it as read only if its formatted as NTFS, if its formatted as fat it wont be read only.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Peter,

 >I found a solution on Internet, basically assessed as a component of
the build not having sufficient certification,

if you can give us some more details, we might improve the jOrgan
bundle. Do you have some links?

 > OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only

You should copy the "dispositions" folder into your home directory and
continue your work there. It's the same for Windows users.

Have fun
Sven

On 10/14/2014 12:35 AM, Peter Hanlon wrote:
> As part of my continuing engagement with jOrgan, I tried to install from the Mac OSX 3.20 dmg of 3.6 mb. I am running OSX Mavericks 10.9. There was an immediate problem with OSX reporting ‘damaged install disk - please eject’ or similar sentiments. I found a solution on Internet, basically assessed as a component of the build not having sufficient certification, with a solution of opening the security to allow the installation, then closing it afterwards. OSX then must put the jOrgan reference into some exception list, and allows the application to operate thereafter.
>
> I am not a Mac guru in any sense, but it appears that OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only, and won’t allow me to save test dispositions etc. Is there an easy way out?  A chmod command perhaps?
>
> On my other development front, I have made excellent progress on extending my Arduino code to generate MIDI commands emulating MIDI keyboards, and with the addition of a cheap MIDI to USB dongle, the Mac is happy to play sounds generated by the Arduino. So happily I am moving from the soldering iron to software, which is at least a bit more tractable.

Jonathan Aquilina

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

jbeach2646
In Windows, on any new installation of jOrgan, we ALWAYS have to right-click the jOrgan folder>Properties>Security(Tab)>Edit and check all the permissions for various CREATOR/OWNER, Custom, User,
Trusted Installer options and then, and then only, can you save the changes you make to a disposition when jOrgan is running.  If they are not checked, you will get a “Could not Save” error message.
When you get that message, don’t despair, your work is not lost, you can make the necessary changes to the security tab by going through Start>My Computer>C:\Program Files\jOrgan.
Don’t know a thing about OSX.

John Beach

Sent: Tuesday, October 14, 2014 3:23 AM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

If you are talking about a USB disk OSX will mark it as read only if its formatted as NTFS, if its formatted as fat it wont be read only.

On Tue, Oct 14, 2014 at 9:21 AM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Peter,

>I found a solution on Internet, basically assessed as a component of
the build not having sufficient certification,

if you can give us some more details, we might improve the jOrgan
bundle. Do you have some links?

> OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only

You should copy the "dispositions" folder into your home directory and
continue your work there. It's the same for Windows users.

Have fun
Sven

On 10/14/2014 12:35 AM, Peter Hanlon wrote:

> As part of my continuing engagement with jOrgan, I tried to install from the Mac OSX 3.20 dmg of 3.6 mb. I am running OSX Mavericks 10.9. There was an immediate problem with OSX reporting ‘damaged install disk - please eject’ or similar sentiments. I found a solution on Internet, basically assessed as a component of the build not having sufficient certification, with a solution of opening the security to allow the installation, then closing it afterwards. OSX then must put the jOrgan reference into some exception list, and allows the application to operate thereafter.
>
> I am not a Mac guru in any sense, but it appears that OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only, and won’t allow me to save test dispositions etc. Is there an easy way out?  A chmod command perhaps?
>
> On my other development front, I have made excellent progress on extending my Arduino code to generate MIDI commands emulating MIDI keyboards, and with the addition of a cheap MIDI to USB dongle, the Mac is happy to play sounds generated by the Arduino. So happily I am moving from the soldering iron to software, which is at least a bit more tractable.

Jonathan Aquilina

Monitor 10 servers for $9/Month.
http://p.sf.net/sfu/Zoho

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

Graham Wykes

On 14/10/2014, at 9:35 AM, Peter Hanlon wrote:

>  OSX has marked the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20 ‘disk’ as read-only, and won’t allow me to save test dispositions etc.

For those of you who do not use OSX, I'll expand a little on what Sven had to say.

The download you get for OSX is "jOrgan-3.20.dmg"  This is a disc image (an osx equivalent to .iso).  It is not an installer.  If you double-click it will mount the volume with the files in as though is was a read-only disk drive.  You could run jOrgan from it but you can't save anything.  You need to drag the files to a location on your HDD inside your users folder.

BTW, to change permissions in OSX, rt-click on the object and choose "Get Info".  This opens the properties dialog and the permissions are down at the bottom.  You can open a terminal and do it manually but need to remember that you are then in the BSD-UNIX shell.

Cheers
Graham

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

Peter Hanlon
Hi Sven,

It is getting late here,but I will send the link tomorrow. I certainly tried copying the dispositions and skins to a ‘Documents’ folder but don’t think I had their visibility from jOrgan. I will check it further tomorrow.

Actually, here is the link -

Thanks for all of your excellent work. I don’t know how you do it.

Peter

Hi Peter,

http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/jOrgan-Install-on-Mac-OSX-Permissions-Problem-tp4661668p4661671.html
NAML

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

Peter Hanlon
Thanks Graham,

Another tyro user, but hope to be useful soon,

Regards,

Peter

Re: jOrgan Install on Mac OSX Permissions Problem

Peter Hanlon
Thanks Graham and Sven,
I dragged the files as you suggested to a new jOrgan folder within my Documents folder, and it worked fine. I had earlier replicated the dispositions and skins into this folder, but whatever method I used (probably Finder Cut-and-paste) refused to touch the application itself. Also on the Permissions aspect on the /Volumes/jOrgan-3.20, the settings were displayed as greyed-out, with the volume read-only, and unchangeable from the GUI at least. But as the user folder has sorted me, this is all academic. Should I finish up in hell, I am sure that the Good Lord has an infinite supply of operating system bits and pieces for me.
Peter