cantabile reverb

rivierawurlitzer
Hi.  I am still figuring out a lot of things on jorgan but having fun!  I want to try using cantabile for reverb but not sure how to 'redirect' the sound coming out of jorgan to go thru cantabile first to apply the reverb settings.  Any help greatly appreciated!

Andy

Re: cantabile reverb

Andy,

I used Cantabile some years ago when I first discovered jOrgan, but it was mainly to host the VST form of sfz along with the Omniverb VST plugin. This combination worked marvellously.

At the time I experimented with trying to use Cantabile plus Omniverb, with jOrgan running Fluidsynth (as I found the Fluidsynth reverb quite unacceptable at the time, to say nothing of the Fluidsynth latency back then). This did work in a fashion, but I believe there was no way of directing the audio output from Fluidsynth to Cantable before it went to the computer soundcard. It was an uneasy situation where audio feedback was always lurking around. It was not very satisfactory. One thing I can warn you about: make sure that your computer microphone channel is switched off!

Re: cantabile reverb

Organorak
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but has anyone managed to route the sound from j-organ (well, OK, fluidsynth I suppose) into Cantabile so that it can be treated to additional reverb effects? I'd be keen to do this but don't really know where to start. I am using Cantabile quite happily with Hauptwerk via VST and have set it up so that samples that don't come with surround are routed to my front speakers unaltered and to my rear speakers with a bit of reverb, whereas samples that come with surround go straight to front and rear unaltered, if that makes sense. I'd like to treat j-organ's audio output in the same way I treat non-surround Hauptwerk output. At present j-organ's sound only comes from my front channels, and more annoyingly, the volume levels are set to whatever my front channels were set last time I fiddled with them so I have to readjust the balance every time I play a j-organ sample whereas my Hauptwerk volume is unaffected by my computer volume setting.

I've searched the forum and can't quite tell if this has been successfully achieved or not.

Re: cantabile reverb

Organorak,

I can't really add anything to what I wrote in my post above. One thing you could try is to use VSTSynthFont as your generic sound engine instead of Fluidsynth. It is available from the SynthFont website. The reason I suggest this one instead of sfz (or sfz+) is that the soundfont Attenuation Settings will all be correct if using VSTSynthFont (not so with sfz or sfz+). The sound and latency are both excellent.

The downside with this method is that you are limited to 15 stops in use at any one time. Also, you should make sure that the appropriate disposition messages have "nonEqual9" (or whatever it is).

Re: cantabile reverb

Organorak
Many thanks Graham - I am just picking this up after a couple of months and have now installed JACK with the Qt GUI. Inevitably I'm having problems trying to configure JACK with j-organ 3.19 64 bit version. Just to refresh, I already have a surround sound system (two pairs of stereo speakers that I use for Hauptwerk too) and I route the Hauptwerk sounds via VST to (paid version of) Cantabile. I have set up Cantabile so that for Hauptwerk samples without native surround it splits the front signal and applies a bit of extra reverb to the rear signal using Reverberate, whilst leaving untouched Hauptwerk samples that come with surround. Doing it this way also means the volume is always the same regardless of what my PC speakers are turned to.

Basically what I want to do with j-organ is threefold:

(i) have the volume of j-organ be independent of my front speaker volume controls. In other words, at present the volume of my front speakers determines the volume of my j-organ instrument. But in Hauptwerk the volume level is independent, so even if I had my PC volume right down, when I play in Hauptwerk the volume is always the same and always "right". I don't want to start playing j-organ to find I need to turn up or down the volume on the computer;

(ii) route the j-organ signal through VST to Cantabile so that I can split the signal to front and back and apply a touch of reverb to the rear signal;

(iii) potentially allow me to add j-organ stops to Hauptwerk at a constant volume level. If I have open a Hauptwerk organ and a j-organ organ, I can already play both simultaneously, but it sounds "wrong" that the Hauptwerk samples come out of front and rear speakers but the j-organ sounds only come out of front speakers, and at whatever volume I had set the speakers to, so I'm forever having to adjust the balance when I do this.

There are three things that don't seem to be working with my configuration at present. I have been working through the wiki at http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_Jack_Audio_Connection_Kit_in_Windows

(i) I don't have ASIO4ALL listed in Setup/Settings/Interface/> Instead I have MME and Windows Direct Sound, with my default soundcard and each pair of my m-audio 1010 soundcard listed under each of these. Do I need to install ASIO4ALL and will it mess up any of my other audio settings? I don't use my onboard soundcard for anything, since the M-audio multichannel card is fine for all purposes.

(ii) I can't figure out how to "connect" anything using JACK. Under Connect/audio/readable clients/output ports I only have the PC's onboard microphone listed, and Connect is greyed out.

(iii) I downloaded and unzipped a few of the folders mentioned here:
http://sourceforge.net/apps/mediawiki/jorgan/index.php?title=Instructions_on_using_the_PortAudio_driver_in_the_Fluidsynth_Extension

I moved the fluidsynth-dsound-portaudio folders to C:\Program Files\jOrgan\lib expecting them to show up in j-organ's Preferences but nothing except Default shows up under j-organ/view/configuration/fluidsynth/backend.

I've probably missed a few steps somewhere but this is what my PC is looking like at the moment. What more do I need to do in order to take the sound from j-organ and VST route it to Cantabile? Thanks for any advice!

Organorak