activator lists and multiple keyer sound objects

activator lists and multiple keyer sound objects

Julie Porter
Some years  ago I wrote a script that converts pipe organ definitions from Devtronix/Uniflex or Emutek into a jOrgan disposition.  This way I can play the performance recordings direct via an Arduino  based MIDI bridge.

In a real organ there are link functions which can create mixtures from different ranks.  I have successfully used an activator and hidden references to implement this for rank sound objects.
Now I want to extend this to the trap and toy logic which uses keyers and plays single notes (usually from a percussion rank.)  For example a snare or cymbal roll or grand crash which may involve the kettle drum.

The issue is that it has been a few years since I wrote the code.  The wiki is not much help as it says for activator see switch,  Under switch there are just lists of things that can be considered switches. There are no examples.   The issue is that currently I have a stop that references a keyer, which is referenced from a stop.  The keyer in turn seems to reference the sound font for the percussion (toy) ranks.

I think the solution is to create some hidden stops which are referred to by the activator.  This seems to be what I am doing for the normal rank references.  For normal references the ranks are allocated statically.   For the toys they are allocated dynamically, which adds a level of complexity.  It does not help that the documentation is particularly lacking.  Most of what I learned came from reading and copying some of the dispositions such as the Christe one.  But that uses recorded samples for the crash and roll, rather than building them up from the individual elements as would be done in a real organ.   Then I have the issues of non sound elements.   One of the organs I am mapping is from a defunct pizza parlor.  The organist has been dead  for some years (decades.)   What remains is the devtronix disks, and track files.   These tracks use the devtronix/uniflex link logic, to do things like turn spot lights on with the tab.  While I currently ignore such things, It would be fun to have an indicator on the console skin light up when such effects happen.  I have some old fire damaged  toys (drums) that are from a burned up pizza joynt.  Was thinking I could actually re-create the spot light effects on them when the old tracks play.

I tried looking up some of this with a search engine, however, this was not to successful.  The search engine seems clueless that I am looking for programming information and in turn keeps taking me into completely unrelated things.  Like I am looking for someone named jordan who is looking to by children's toys.  Even attempting to search these forums archived in my mail program, gives some rather strange results.  It finally got to the point where the search engine asked me If I was a robot as I was using unusual advanced terms in my search patterns.

Ron

Re: activator lists and multiple keyer sound objects

Ron
Try using DuckDuckGo as the search engine to search for jOrgan.

Ron Biddle
KA4RON
Sent from my iPad

> [...]
>
> I tried looking up some of this with a search engine, however, this was not to successful.  The search engine seems clueless that I am looking for programming information and in turn keeps taking me into completely unrelated things.  Like I am looking for someone named jordan who is looking to by children's toys.  Even attempting to search these forums archived in my mail program, gives some rather strange results.  It finally got to the point where the search engine asked me If I was a robot as I was using unusual advanced terms in my search patterns.

Re: activator lists and multiple keyer sound objects

samibe
Hi Julie, I'm not completely sure I understand what you are trying to do
(probably because I don't understand controls logic very well). I agree that
it would be nice if the documentation for jOrgan was more complete. Each
time I figure something out I think "I should write down what I learned" and
then I run out of time to accurately put into words what I figured out. I
think a list of the properties for different elements (and a description of
what they do) would be super helpful. Someday I might get to it. Good luck.

Sam

Julie Porter wrote