Quantcast

Wurlitzer/Robert Morton skin font files.

Wurlitzer/Robert Morton skin font files.

Julie Porter
Greetings all;

I have been converting a 2 manual Wurlitzer console to VTPO. Some years ago I added record playback to a Emutek pipe organ relay.  This evolved into a system that replaced the Emutek Hardware with what is basically a network of Arduino boards. When the organ was upgraded to Uniflex I got some of the upgraded emutek system.   Parts of this went into an organ that had no budget for a relay.  A 3/10 Robert Morton.   Due to the nature of the project while we are waiting for the lift on the 3 manual console, a two manual was given to the project.  I also aquired a separate 2 manual Wurlitzer console mentioned above.

When the Emuek was upgraded to Uniflex I wrote some scripts in the postscript language, that can convert definitions and recordings between different organs.   (Allen, Emutek, Uniflex, Hauptwerk, jOrgan...)

The resulting jOrgan dispositions have a simple text no skin interface.  They were intended to audition the recordings when the organs were offline.  Or in the case of the Allen to see exactly what was on those stacks of floppy discs...

As the Morton console is a 3/10  I used the Freedom Morton as a template.   My console and the 2 manual temp console, connected to the Morton Pipe Chambers, are Wurlitzer consoles.

The translator program is written in postscript, I can display a graphic of the console during the conversion process.  This is helpful for adjusting layout items automatically (rather than directly editing the xml.)   I was able to add the morton.ttf to the ghostscript installation and see the special characters.

For my 2 manual console VTPO, I created a simple Arduino interface with a custom RS485 shield on a Leonardo which has native USB and looks like a rank of pipes. Since the rank controller sees all the console inputs It is a simple matter to map  the switch contact states to midi events that jOrgan can see.  This works surprisingly well as each console input pin becomes a midi message.

The net result is I now have a stand alone VTPO, which I call a teacart VTPO.  I made two of these, one for the morton and one that can operate off the Wurlitzer console, I am the current caretaker of.   Yet my VTPO display has Robert Morton fonts on the computer display.   I noticed when I added the fonts to the ghostscript font directory that there was a font license text file, which I also moved.   In this file however the license is for WurliStopREG.ttf & WurliAbbrREG.ttf © 2013, Graham wykes. Which I can not find anywhere.

I have been contemplating creating my own Wurlitzer Stop tab fonts,  It would be nice if such fonts have already been done.  I had used a laser engraver and photos of a tab to do a duplication of a tab that was missing (then the tab turned up.)  So I had done some research looking for Wurlitzer fonts.  Most of the online stuff uses off the shelf fonts that are superficially similar, yet lack the kerning seen when the tabs are scanned photographically.   I looked in a number of dispositions and searched online for WurliStopREG.ttf.  No hits come up.

Graham Wykes seems to be a common name.  Most of the useful hits return back here ,or the VTPO group and none, specifically address the above named font.   It looks like there may have been a drop box or google docs with skin fonts, however the link is 404 (as are most forum links) and the wayback machine can not find it. There does not really seem to be a good clearinghouse to tell where things are in the cloud space.

What is really lacking is documentation on skin creation.  Are these done by hand or is there an interactive tool that I have missed out on?

Re: Wurlitzer/Robert Morton skin font files.

grahamg
Hi Julie,

Great to hear about your use of jOrgan (and Allen, Emutek, Uniflex,
Hauptwerk, etc.) :)

I have a Wurlitzer skin for jOrgan that uses Graham Wykes fonts, so I
can upload and send it to you.

Skin creation is typically done by those who already know a bit about
programming and using an XML file. The XML schema is simple, and you
just need to unzip a couple of skins and examine the skin.xml files to
get to grips with what defines what.

Most of us use Notpad++ for editing the skin.xml, but any good XML
editor should be up to the task. Mostly we learn by experimentation /
trial and error.

Kind regards,
Graham Goode

On 4/11/17, Julie Porter <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
> are superficially similar, yet lack the kerning seen when the tabs are
> scanned photographically.   I looked in a number of dispositions and
> searched online for WurliStopREG.ttf.  No hits come up.
>
> Graham Wykes seems to be a common name.  Most of the useful hits return
> back here ,or the VTPO group and none, specifically address the above named
> font.   It looks like there may have been a drop box or google docs with
> skin fonts, however the link is 404 (as are most forum links) and the
> wayback machine can not find it. There does not really seem to be a good
> clearinghouse to tell where things are in the cloud space.
>
> What is really lacking is documentation on skin creation.  Are these done
> by hand or is there an interactive tool that I have missed out on?

Re: Wurlitzer/Robert Morton skin font files.

BrianS
Hi Graham,

May I also get a copy of that skin please. BTW, It is quite nice to have a lady person in our group as well.