Wiki Account

Aaron Laws
The page at http://jorgan-home.de/mediawiki_en/index.php?title=Home says "Use the 'request account' link on top-right of this page". I don't see such a link on the top-right, but I have a feeling that someone on this list may be able to help me. May I please have an account with edit permissions on the jorgan Wiki?

I am wanting to begin working on creating a SFZ, and would like to document my findings in the form of a brief tutorial which can be collaboratively edited.

Re: Wiki Account

Aaron Laws wrote
I am wanting to begin working on creating a SFZ, and would like to document
my findings in the form of a brief tutorial which can be collaboratively edited.
Aaron,

When SourceForge stopped hosting the jOrgan Wiki, Bernd (BCA) reconstituted it and placed it on a website which I think he set up for that purpose. However, it is read-only, probably because there may be no easy way to allow access to it only to those who won’t abuse the privilege.

I think the Tutorials page is mainly headings along with web links to where the authors have their material. So if you email him with the details, he can add them, and you may be the first person to introduce new material for quite a while. However, I don’t think with the present arrangement that it can become a collaborative endeavour.

If it is to be a “work in progress” there may be another way to handle it, perhaps by asking for interested persons to get in touch with you.

Re: Wiki Account

Aaron Laws
On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 2:24 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron Laws wrote
> I am wanting to begin working on creating a SFZ, and would like to
> document
> my findings in the form of a brief tutorial which can be collaboratively
> edited.

Aaron,

When SourceForge stopped hosting the jOrgan Wiki, Bernd (BCA) reconstituted
it and placed it on a website which I think he set up for that purpose.
However, it is read-only, probably because there may be no easy way to allow
access to it only to those who won’t abuse the privilege.

I think the Tutorials page is mainly headings along with web links to where
the authors have their material. So if you email him with the details, he
can add them, and you may be the first person to introduce new material for
quite a while. However, I don’t think with the present arrangement that it
can become a collaborative endeavour.

If it is to be a “work in progress” there may be another way to handle it,
perhaps by asking for interested persons to get in touch with you.

John Reimer

No jorgan wiki? What a pity! (A read-only wiki is not a wiki.) I remember that Jonathan wanted to move jorgan off sourceforge because of some bad decisions they made a while back. I guess this is a ramification of that.

I remember talk about moving the wiki, but I don't remember it being read-only. I wasn't tracking very well when those decisions were being executed.

Now I'm left with decisions...should I plea for the wiki to be reinstated? (Sourceforge sounds like an *excellent* venue for such a wiki, but who besides Sven can make that happen?) Clone the wiki somewhere else and make it editable? Start a new wiki? Ugh.

Thank you Mr. Reimer for filling me in.

Re: Wiki Account

Aaron Laws wrote
No jorgan wiki? What a pity! (A read-only wiki is not a wiki.)
Aaron,

We did not move the jOrgan Wiki from SourceForge. They offloaded us, and presumably others along with us. I suggest you email BCA and discuss the whole matter with him.

By the way, please call me John. Everyone else does.

Re: Wiki Account

tbeck
Aaron,

Agreed. A read-only wiki is an oxymoron.

On Wed, Jul 5, 2017 at 7:15 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron Laws wrote
> No jorgan wiki? What a pity! (A read-only wiki is not a wiki.)

Aaron,

We did not move the jOrgan Wiki from SourceForge. They offloaded us, and
presumably others along with us. I suggest you email BCA and discuss the
whole matter with him.

By the way, please call me John. Everyone else does.

BCA

Re: Wiki Account

BCA
Hello.

I freezed the jOrgan Wiki in the moment I anticipated that chaos which stepped in shortly afterwards. Now that the storm seems over, I still will hold it in a freezed state until we can see a kind of "stable" future for jOrgan. Currently it keeps it state "free-but-not-completely-lost-in-space".

I've neither the power nor the need nor the time for maintaining the wiki, I've just saved it from being ruined through sourceforge or single persons.

If there's a person who will erect a stable server place for it, who ensures to maintain it on a daily base and to control if no one scribbles around with it, ensures that he is able to back it up and to read it back in case some destroyment takes place, I'll immediately support the move of the jOrgan Wiki into some other person's hands. But withhold empty words, please.

Until then, I see no alternative to the current freezed state.

all the best,
BCA