Warning re jOrgan Mailing List

The jOrgan Mailing List has had problems the past few months. It seemed at
first that the problems originated with the Nabble Forum, but it now appears
that SourceForge, which hosts the Mailing List, acted on privacy concerns
and made certain changes to their hosting arrangements, and it is this which
caused the problems. It is not at all clear why some members of the list
have been affected by the changes, and others have not.

It has come to my attention that some users of the jOrgan Mailing List have
not received any List emails or Digests since early August. If this is true
of you, then it means that you need to resubscribe to the List.  As you can
see from this Forum, there have been many posts to the Mailing List since
early August.

Best wishes,

Re: Warning re jOrgan Mailing List

eagles051387
Hi All,

If you consider moving away from sourceforge hosted mailing lists do let me know and I can set you up with a mailing list on my server.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Sat, Oct 14, 2017 at 6:19 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

The jOrgan Mailing List has had problems the past few months. It seemed at
first that the problems originated with the Nabble Forum, but it now appears
that SourceForge, which hosts the Mailing List, acted on privacy concerns
and made certain changes to their hosting arrangements, and it is this which
caused the problems. It is not at all clear why some members of the list
have been affected by the changes, and others have not.

It has come to my attention that some users of the jOrgan Mailing List have
not received any List emails or Digests since early August. If this is true
of you, then it means that you need to resubscribe to the List.  As you can
see from this Forum, there have been many posts to the Mailing List since
early August.

Best wishes,

Re: Warning re jOrgan Mailing List

free-vpo
Hi,
?! You have promised us a few months ago: a jorgan takeover with big
improvements, a new forum, a website ... And finally we do not see much out
of all this! Sorry, a lot of promises, but few results!

Re: Warning re jOrgan Mailing List

eagles051387 wrote
> If you consider moving away from sourceforge hosted mailing lists do let
> me
> know and I can set you up with a mailing list on my server.

To Jonathan,

Thank you for your offer. I don't think we have to abandon what we have at
the moment, especially as I suspect the group would have to start from
scratch. I say this because on the basis of what I have read from
SourceForge, I think they have now structured things so that not even the
owner (Administrator) of the Mailing List has access to the list of members!
(A post sent to all giving details of a new Forum would presumably get a
good response from most, but not from all, probably.)

To free-vpo,

I take your post to express both frustration and disappointment. I share in
both of these, but I did at the time appreciate Jonathan’s ready offer to do
what he could to keep jOrgan alive and active. I might point out that
Jonathan already had a long history of offering help and advice via the
Mailing List, going back quite a number of years. Also, unless I am
mistaken, Jonathan was almost the only one who did make such an offer twelve
months ago, when things were looking very grim.

Where Jonathan went wrong, was to try to do things completely on his own.
For example, he did provide a very acceptable alternative Discussion Board,
until it was taken over by the spam artists. He failed to deal with that,
and so it got completely out of hand. That could have been avoided. I run a
similar Discussion Board using the same platform. We had the same problem
there, but as Administrator I dealt with it immediately and there have been
no further spam posts. Just for the record, we still receive 50 to 100 spam
artist “attempted registrations” EACH DAY, but it only takes me about one
minute a day to render that harmless.

I think that Jonathan made a number of errors of judgment, which in time
torpedoed his best intentions. But at least he cared enough about jOrgan to
make a valiant attempt. I am very reluctant to criticize someone who at
least tried!