Quantcast

WARNING about Dropbox

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
21 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

WARNING about Dropbox

John Reimer
Administrator

On the 15th March, Dropbox will be discontinuing the use of the Public Folder. It means that on that date all the existing links to files in our Public Folders will be obsolete.

If I understand their communication correctly, it will still be possible for people even without Dropbox accounts to access and download (but not edit) the files we want to share, but this will require new “shared links”. I don’t follow how this situation will be very different to what has been in place until now. However, it does mean that all the links we have displayed on this Forum or elsewhere will need to be changed.

John Reimer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

John Reimer
Administrator

March 15th has come, and this means that at some point during the next few hours, all Dropbox Public Folder links will become unusable. This certainly applies to all the VPO's using recorded samples which I have released the past few years. The links in all the Forum posts up till now will not work.

For many years my website has used space provided free by my Internet Service Provider, but it is limited to 200 MB. I depend on Dropbox to store and share all my recorded sample VPO's, and any one of these would have taken it over the limit. I have rearranged my jOrgan website to cope with the absence of a Public Folder. Because my ability to work with html files is very limited, I have chosen to use pdf's extensively, but it seems to work O.K.

Unless there turn out to be problems, here is a pdf link to my jOrgan pages:
http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan_Index_Page.pdf

If I am satisfied with my attempts to create a working jOrgan_Index_Page.htm file, I shall make this available in the near future, and will have the advantage of retaining the existing link listed in the jOrgan
Wiki.

John Reimer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

John Reimer
Administrator

I think I have the htm file right, so here is the old website link, now accessing the revised jOrgan pages, and probably a bit faster to use:

http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan_Index_Page.htm

John Reimer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

eagles051387
In reply to this post by John Reimer
Hi All,

I am still working on the website. once its ready things can be sent for me to put on the website that way everything is on the website in what you could say a centralized repository.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 1:43 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

March 15th has come, and this means that at some point during the next few
hours, all Dropbox Public Folder links will become unusable. This certainly
applies to all the VPO's using recorded samples which I have released the
past few years. The links in all the Forum posts up till now will not work.

For many years my website has used space provided free by my Internet
Service Provider, but it is limited to 200 MB. I depend on Dropbox to store
and share all my recorded sample VPO's, and any one of these would have
taken it over the limit. I have rearranged my jOrgan website to cope with
the absence of a Public Folder. Because my ability to work with html files
is very limited, I have chosen to use pdf's extensively, but it seems to
work O.K.

Unless there turn out to be problems, here is a pdf link to my jOrgan pages:
http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan_Index_Page.pdf

If I am satisfied with my attempts to create a working jOrgan_Index_Page.htm
file, I shall make this available in the near future, and will have the
advantage of retaining the existing link listed in the jOrgan
Wiki.

John Reimer




--
View this message in context: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/WARNING-about-Dropbox-tp4664571p4664671.html
Sent from the jOrgan - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

Pete Theisen
In reply to this post by John Reimer
Hi John,

I was able to read your PDF file just fine in Sarasota, FL, which is
some distance from Australia. I do have a question for you or anyone who
is able to answer: Will this collection of interesting little organs
work under Linux?

Or maybe Raspian?

As a Social Security retiree, Windows has left me in the financial dust
about 10 years ago or so and I have chosen not to chase it since my
hardware is always about 10 years old or more at any given time. I use
hardware generous people give me for free and I downloaded a free
Operating System and a free suite of software.

Currently I have Linux Mint 17.1 on an old Dell core duo desktop with 4
GB of RAM. Probably can't run as a desktop and run a virtual organ at
the same time. At least not without driving myself nuts and saying words
my mother told me to never say . . .

My windows version was XP when I decided I could not keep up financially
with M$ any longer. Now with this Raspberry Pi idea taking shape I can
see some affordable hardware that could even work with some version of
jOrgan. Brian Sweetnam seems to be getting it to work in South Africa so
I am encouraged by his success . . .

On 03/15/2017 12:31 AM, John Reimer wrote:
>
> I think I have the htm file right, so here is the old website link, now
> accessing the revised jOrgan pages, and probably a bit faster to use:
>
> http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan_Index_Page.htm
>
> John Reimer
>

--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

BrianS
Hi Pete,

It is working great.

Even a single Raspberry Pi, should be sufficient. John's organs sound excellent on the Tartberry Pi.

And it is so easy to setup and maintain.

I suggest you start searching for at least a 10.1 inch touch screen, the 'Waveshare". Although this company has various sizes of screens that plug right onto the Raspberry Pi, I will not suggest you go smaller than the 10.1 inc.  With a little tinkering, you can fit the disposition element onto this size. And to think I have a 23 inch touch screen, I was planning to use.  Now I am down-scaling to 10.1 inches.

I am planning to use only 3 dispositions on it - but of course, you can use as many as you like. I have to decide on a classical, theater, and draw-bar disposition.

I am confident that it will all work.

Regards,

Brian.
Regards,

BrianS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

Pete Theisen
Hi Brian,


The "Tartberry" is an earlier version?

It will have to be next month. I had to buy a part for my 1999 Ford car
out of this month's money, it was $21.02 including shipping.

We don't have very good bus transportation in the States, kind of third
world in that respect. So, we have to patch up old cars and use them as
long as we can keep them working.

Culturally, too, we prefer to use private cars - we learned to drive in
High School as part of the curriculum. There were teachers who taught
only "Driver Education" classes for their whole career. The school had a
"driving range" and a whole fleet of 1958 Ford Fairlanes and 1961 Ford
Falcons back in the day. The teacher was a guy named "Mr. Roll", he knew
everything about driving.

That car on my Facebook is the car that is getting the part. It runs
without the part, but doesn't steer as accurately as I would like so . . .

On 03/15/2017 01:57 AM, BrianS wrote:

> Hi Pete,
>
> It is working great.
>
> Even a single Raspberry Pi, should be sufficient. John's organs sound
> excellent on the Tartberry Pi.
>
> And it is so easy to setup and maintain.
>
> I suggest you start searching for at least a 10.1 inch touch screen, the
> 'Waveshare". Although this company has various sizes of screens that plug
> right onto the Raspberry Pi, I will not suggest you go smaller than the 10.1
> inc.  With a little tinkering, you can fit the disposition element onto this
> size. And to think I have a 23 inch touch screen, I was planning to use.
> Now I am down-scaling to 10.1 inches.
>
> I am planning to use only 3 dispositions on it - but of course, you can use
> as many as you like. I have to decide on a classical, theater, and draw-bar
> disposition.
>
> I am confident that it will all work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.


--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

BrianS
Hi Pete,

When you get the pi, you don't have to get the 10.1 inch Waveshare touch screen straight away.  In the meantime, if your current screen has an HDMI interface, you can start working on your project, so long as you have your Raspberry Pi.  "Tartberry' was a partial typo, and came out as that after some small modification.

So when you get your Pi, you can start working on your project.  I will send you a document I have prepared, in order to get jOrgan running on the Pi.  It is so easy, you will not believe it.  I have to thank Ray for helping to get me going.

The most difficult part is to install the drivers of the Waveshare 10.1 inch touch screen (it is only two commands!), and to set the screen resolution for the screen (for this, you just edit a file, it is real easy).

Once this is done, you can plug your midi hardware, and external soundcard, and you are ready to start experimenting.

You can also work on your disposition, from your desk, you do not need to sit and work at the organ console.  I do a 'remote desktop connection' to the Raspberry Pi.

You will need a regular mouse and keyboard as well in order to configure the Raspberry Pi.  I use the wireless type, so both the mouse and the keyboard, plug into just one of the 4 usb ports on the Pi. Another is used for the soundcard, and yet another for the midi interface, so this leaves you with one open USB port.  Personally, I have plugged a small usb hub into the Pi, and then plug the midi and audio hardware into the hub, but you do not need to do this really.

In South Africa too, we are forced to own can drive our own cars, as public transport is poor.

I will check out your car on Facebook.  I also love Ford cars, I am on my second one now - but they are small cars, the Ford Focus. My sister had Ford Falcon's, before switching to Toyota.

Brian.
Regards,

BrianS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

RoyR
In reply to this post by Pete Theisen
Hi, Pete,

               Welcome to the club, I followed the same route, never updated Windows past XP-Pro and have since graduated to Mint.

   jOrgan was originally written under Linux, I think it was Ubuntu. Mint is based on Ubuntu and uses its software repositories too. My system uses external hardware as the synth. so can't be compared with a Fluidsynth system which needs much more computer muscle.

   You should be better off with Mint on an old computer because it generally makes better use of computer power than Windows.

   You might also consider Puppy Linux for a really light system, Graham could tell you more about that one!

      Have fun,

            Roy.


On 15 March 2017 at 05:35, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi John,

I was able to read your PDF file just fine in Sarasota, FL, which is
some distance from Australia. I do have a question for you or anyone who
is able to answer: Will this collection of interesting little organs
work under Linux?

Or maybe Raspian?

As a Social Security retiree, Windows has left me in the financial dust
about 10 years ago or so and I have chosen not to chase it since my
hardware is always about 10 years old or more at any given time. I use
hardware generous people give me for free and I downloaded a free
Operating System and a free suite of software.

Currently I have Linux Mint 17.1 on an old Dell core duo desktop with 4
GB of RAM. Probably can't run as a desktop and run a virtual organ at
the same time. At least not without driving myself nuts and saying words
my mother told me to never say . . .

My windows version was XP when I decided I could not keep up financially
with M$ any longer. Now with this Raspberry Pi idea taking shape I can
see some affordable hardware that could even work with some version of
jOrgan. Brian Sweetnam seems to be getting it to work in South Africa so
I am encouraged by his success . . .

On 03/15/2017 12:31 AM, John Reimer wrote:
>
> I think I have the htm file right, so here is the old website link, now
> accessing the revised jOrgan pages, and probably a bit faster to use:
>
> http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/jOrgan_Index_Page.htm
>
> John Reimer
>

--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

John Reimer
Administrator
In reply to this post by Pete Theisen
Pete Theisen wrote
Will this collection of interesting little organs
work under Linux?

Or maybe Raspian?
 
Pete,
They certainly will. By all means try the Rasp Pi, but I suggest you try your Linux computer first. You already have it!

John Reimer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

John Reimer
Administrator
In reply to this post by eagles051387
eagles051387 wrote
I am still working on the website.
Jonathan,

That's great news.

John Reimer
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

Pete Theisen
In reply to this post by John Reimer
Yes, John, I suppose I could try the computer once again. I have fiddled
with it in the past but there are A LOT of problems with the set-up
which I thought I could bypass with the Pi.

Maybe I could use one or more Pis to solve the problems. Briefly, I have
several sources that want the same MIDI channel.

I have a device to change the channels but you have to reprogram the
whole kit and caboodle every time there is a power glitch, which is
OFTEN in Florida. I thought that dedicating a Pi to each of the
unchangeable channels would speed it up.

One is clearly on 4, but three others default to 1 and either can NOT be
changed or it is a nuisance to change them. I guess two of them - the 4
and one of the 1s, could be on one and then two other pis for the other
1s - so the computer and two Pis.

Then whenever the power was on it would work as if there was no channel
problem. That would give you 6 audio channels as well.

On 03/15/2017 06:59 AM, John Reimer wrote:

> Pete Theisen wrote
>> Will this collection of interesting little organs
>> work under Linux?
>>
>> Or maybe Raspian?
>
>
> Pete,
> They certainly will. By all means try the Rasp Pi, but I suggest you try
> your Linux computer first. You already have it!
>
> John Reimer

--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

BrianS
As I have 2 identical Yamaha PSR 295 Keyboards (both transmitting on the same channel as well), I will connect them both and see how stable the system is on the PI - wheter or not is nesicaary to keep on 'fixing' the manuals because Linux gets them confused.

If they do not, I think using just the Raspberry is enough.  Very simple installation, small, uses little power, easy to maintain, boots very quickly as well.

Brian.
Regards,

BrianS
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

RoyR
   As I understand it (i.e. NOT!  *:)) laughing ) that's what the Enumerate function was designed to solve but I've never made it work. I must admit I didn't try very hard, as it's easy to change channels on my M-Audio keyboards, just a button beside the keyboard followed by a white key.


      Have fun,

            Roy.


On 15 March 2017 at 15:43, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I have 2 identical Yamaha PSR 295 Keyboards (both transmitting on the same
channel as well), I will connect them both and see how stable the system is
on the PI - wheter or not is nesicaary to keep on 'fixing' the manuals
because Linux gets them confused.

If they do not, I think using just the Raspberry is enough.  Very simple
installation, small, uses little power, easy to maintain, boots very quickly
as well.

Brian.



-----
Regards,

BrianS
--
View this message in context: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/WARNING-about-Dropbox-tp4664571p4664684.html
Sent from the jOrgan - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

greenfox
Roy is correct. I worked closely with Sven on creating the Enumerate MIDI function. It became a permanent feature of jOrgan in version 3.19 or 3.20.

It is not active by default. You must enable it in settings.

It is not just for Windows, it functions in the Java environment on any operating system. 

If you haven't tried to use this feature, I would suggest you do. If you need help or have questions about how it works or is setup just ask.

The problem was that multiple MIDI input devices of the same name were displayed in the list of available devices as a single device. The only way to differentiate was by MIDI channel. 

With "Enumerate" activated jOrgan applies a device number to each otherwise identical device name and then displays them all in the list of available devices. 
All devices can stay as default MIDI channel 1 and never need to be fiddled with. 
They are differenciated by name and number in the disposition to the correct division.

Please experiment with this and let me know how you get on.

This document has a section at the end, pages 48 to 55 showing the use of this function. 


I found this such a dilemma at the time and couldn't work out why there wasn't more discussion on the subject. I believe it is a major reason why many users gave up on jOrgan. I believe it should be on by default as it would have no effect on someone who doesn't need it. 

Regards 
Rick 

On 16 Mar 2017 2:23 am, "Roy Radford" <[hidden email]> wrote:
   As I understand it (i.e. NOT!  *:)) laughing ) that's what the Enumerate function was designed to solve but I've never made it work. I must admit I didn't try very hard, as it's easy to change channels on my M-Audio keyboards, just a button beside the keyboard followed by a white key.


      Have fun,

            Roy.


On 15 March 2017 at 15:43, BrianS <[hidden email]> wrote:
As I have 2 identical Yamaha PSR 295 Keyboards (both transmitting on the same
channel as well), I will connect them both and see how stable the system is
on the PI - wheter or not is nesicaary to keep on 'fixing' the manuals
because Linux gets them confused.

If they do not, I think using just the Raspberry is enough.  Very simple
installation, small, uses little power, easy to maintain, boots very quickly
as well.

Brian.



-----
Regards,

BrianS
--
View this message in context: http://jorgan.999862.n4.nabble.com/WARNING-about-Dropbox-tp4664571p4664684.html
Sent from the jOrgan - User mailing list archive at Nabble.com.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
greenfox - Brisbane Queensland Australia
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

Pete Theisen
Well, Rick, this is encouraging. I might be able to get something jOrgan
together after all.

I have a collection of several Puppies in my kennel. Puppy Organ
Instal.rar; Puppy 430.iso; Puppy-4.2.1 retro K2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso;
Puppy 4.0 (dingo) k2.6.21.7; and Puppy Linux 4.2.1.

Puppy has moved past version 4x (c.2008) so . . .

Graham Goode and I swapped some correspondence on these puppies but we
hit a brick wall on a number of issues, mostly the MIDI to USB interface
and the optical drive in the computer not working. Then there was
something about the way Linux was handling sound in the later distros . . .

Not to mention getting sidetracked on pipe sample set recording and
Virtual Organ creation. I think we have another candidate for that
coming up as well - a 70s era 2/26 with sort-of German voicing if there
is a need and an interest.

That computer we were using for the Puppying around back in the day has
a single core processor with 2 GB of ram. Still, it seems that it should
work with smaller soundfonts and modest dispositions. The processor is
an INTEL D845GEBV2, whatever that is . . . Pentium 4?

When were the first jOrgan dispositions built, anyway? What did they run on?

Maybe I can use a hotter computer. I will have to look around. Maybe. I
would still have to be using the mouse to select stops since I have no
touch screens.

The touch screens are high priced in the states since all the "point of
sale" computers use them AND they have to be replaced often in that kind
of service so there is no light at the end of the touch screen demand
driven price tunnel.

On 03/15/2017 10:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Roy is correct. I worked closely with Sven on creating the Enumerate
> MIDI function. It became a permanent feature of jOrgan in version 3.19
> or 3.20.
--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

greenfox
Hi Pete

I would start back in with whatever hardware you can cobble together. jOrgan on Puppy Linux won't need much. 

Regards 
Rick 

On 16 Mar. 2017 1:53 pm, "Pete Theisen" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Well, Rick, this is encouraging. I might be able to get something jOrgan
together after all.

I have a collection of several Puppies in my kennel. Puppy Organ
Instal.rar; Puppy 430.iso; Puppy-4.2.1 retro K2.6.21.7-seamonkey.iso;
Puppy 4.0 (dingo) k2.6.21.7; and Puppy Linux 4.2.1.

Puppy has moved past version 4x (c.2008) so . . .

Graham Goode and I swapped some correspondence on these puppies but we
hit a brick wall on a number of issues, mostly the MIDI to USB interface
and the optical drive in the computer not working. Then there was
something about the way Linux was handling sound in the later distros . . .

Not to mention getting sidetracked on pipe sample set recording and
Virtual Organ creation. I think we have another candidate for that
coming up as well - a 70s era 2/26 with sort-of German voicing if there
is a need and an interest.

That computer we were using for the Puppying around back in the day has
a single core processor with 2 GB of ram. Still, it seems that it should
work with smaller soundfonts and modest dispositions. The processor is
an INTEL D845GEBV2, whatever that is . . . Pentium 4?

When were the first jOrgan dispositions built, anyway? What did they run on?

Maybe I can use a hotter computer. I will have to look around. Maybe. I
would still have to be using the mouse to select stops since I have no
touch screens.

The touch screens are high priced in the states since all the "point of
sale" computers use them AND they have to be replaced often in that kind
of service so there is no light at the end of the touch screen demand
driven price tunnel.

On 03/15/2017 10:00 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Roy is correct. I worked closely with Sven on creating the Enumerate
> MIDI function. It became a permanent feature of jOrgan in version 3.19
> or 3.20.
--
Regards,

Pete
https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
greenfox - Brisbane Queensland Australia
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

Aaron Laws
In reply to this post by greenfox
On Wed, Mar 15, 2017 at 10:00 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roy is correct. I worked closely with Sven on creating the Enumerate MIDI function. It became a permanent feature of jOrgan in version 3.19 or 3.20.

It is not active by default. You must enable it in settings.

It is not just for Windows, it functions in the Java environment on any operating system. 

If you haven't tried to use this feature, I would suggest you do. If you need help or have questions about how it works or is setup just ask.

The problem was that multiple MIDI input devices of the same name were displayed in the list of available devices as a single device. The only way to differentiate was by MIDI channel. 

With "Enumerate" activated jOrgan applies a device number to each otherwise identical device name and then displays them all in the list of available devices. 
All devices can stay as default MIDI channel 1 and never need to be fiddled with. 
They are differenciated by name and number in the disposition to the correct division.

Please experiment with this and let me know how you get on.

This document has a section at the end, pages 48 to 55 showing the use of this function. 


I found this such a dilemma at the time and couldn't work out why there wasn't more discussion on the subject. I believe it is a major reason why many users gave up on jOrgan. I believe it should be on by default as it would have no effect on someone who doesn't need it. 

Regards 
Rick 


I agree that it should be on by default. In fact, once it's on by default, I can't think of a reason to turn it off.

In Christ,
Aaron Laws 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

Chester Berry
In reply to this post by BrianS
Brian -- any information you would like to share would be most appreciated.
I have a Pi 3 and two sound cards (one for an older Pi 2 I acquired previously but never got running)
coming next week.  The sound cards are the Audio Infusion card that Ray has mentioned, plus a
HiFiBerry DAC+ Pro).

Many thanks for all your postings!
/s/Chester H Berry
Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA


From: BrianS <[hidden email]>
To: [hidden email]
Sent: Wednesday, March 15, 2017 12:40 AM
Subject: Re: [jOrgan-user] WARNING about Dropbox

Hi Pete,

...So when you get your Pi, you can start working on your project.  I will send
you a document I have prepared, in order to get jOrgan running on the Pi.
It is so easy, you will not believe it.  I have to thank Ray for helping to
get me going.

The most difficult part is to install the drivers of the Waveshare 10.1 inch
touch screen (it is only two commands!), and to set the screen resolution
for the screen (for this, you just edit a file, it is real easy).

Once this is done, you can plug your midi hardware, and external soundcard,
and you are ready to start experimenting...

Brian.


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Check out the vibrant tech community on one of the world's most
engaging tech sites, Slashdot.org! http://sdm.link/slashdot
_______________________________________________
jOrgan-user mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/jorgan-user
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: WARNING about Dropbox

BrianS
Hi Chester,

I have only cheap $6 USB soundcards that I know work, and no experience with the soundcards that you mention.  I think Ray will be able to shed more light onto this subject.

I would like to get a multi-channel soundcard that I saw on some website, the one with 8 out in 6 in channels, but do not have that yet.

Regards,
Brian.
Regards,

BrianS
12
Loading...