Volume contro

I have studied 3 or 4 dispositions, that have swell controls, and they work.

I am trying to replicate it in my own disposition, following these steps:

1. Create Continuous Filter.
2. Create Connector.
3. My stops and ranks are created and working correctly.
4. Reference the Continuous Filter to the Connector.
5. The input property of the Connector is jOrgan Midi Merger.
5. Reference the Continuous Filter to the Ranks that I want to control the volume of.
6. Choose the appropriate skin element - a volume slider element in the skin file.

When I play a using any rank in the soundfont, nothing happens when I adjust the volume control.

As I say I have studied numerous dispositions of which the swell control does work, I just cannot replicate it - I am doing something wrong.

Any advice will be appreciated.

Re: Volume contro

jbeach2646
Brian, the Special Connector was created for use with the Flexible Wind
elements.  This is independent of
the "Swell" element to which the stops of a division are referenced for the
purpose of approximating the
effect of Swell shades (overall volume reduction and high frequency
attenuation).  You do not need a special connector for the Swell element.
You need a series of MPL messages in the Messages section of the Swell
element to regulate the volume reduction and the high frequency attenuation.
But you don't need a Special Connector element for Swells.

[...]

BrianS
Thank you John.

I will check the code.

Re: Volume contro

BrianS
I've added the code into my disposition - from another dispostion.

Strange things are happening.

I have 2 soundsources in my disposition, so I have created 2 swells.
One soundsource is a sound font, the other is a Yamaha arranger keyboard (I like the XG sounds that are built into this keyboard.

I have removed the connectors as well.

Now, I can adjust the volume of all the 'ranks' that live inside the keyboard, but the ranks in the soundfont are all dead - I hear no sound whatsover.

Re: Volume contro

jbeach2646
Brian said, "Now, I can adjust the volume of all the 'ranks' that live
inside the
keyboard, but the ranks in the soundfont are all dead - I hear no sound
whatsover."

In Construct Mode, click on the Fluidsynth Sound for the Soundfont and make
sure that the "audio driver" (Portaudio or Dsound or file) and the Audio
Output Device ( the dropdown window above the Audio Driver)
is properly selected.

I will have to give some thought concerning other reasons why only one
instance is working.  Sometimes,
a disposition in which both Fluidsynth and Creative Sound are used will have
problems.  I am not sure why this is so,  but others on the forum may have
experience in this also and can give you an answer.

I will be offline for a couple of hours, so I won't be able to respond for a
while.

Re: Volume contro

BrianS
Thank you John for your help.

It is working now.

Re: Volume contro

jbeach2646
Brian, it occurred to me that you must have all the ranks, in both instances
of the Swell element, referenced to the Swell element in order for it to
work.  Yamaha XG sounds are very good.  I am curious if you are inputting a
Yamaha keyboard with sounds as a sound source into jOrgan and how you are
doing it.  RCA line-out cable from the Yamaha keyboard to 1/8" mini-plug,
line-in on a sound card? (My guess).  Otherwise, I don't understand how you
would be  able to control the Swell of the Yamaha sounds in jOrgan.   But if
this is the case, you must have to have a appropriate volume setting on the
keyboard in order for the Swell to not experience overdrive or distortion.
I have never input external sounds from a keyboard MIDI source into the PC.
I have recorded from the digital piano to a Midi Sequencer program, but that
only requires a standard MIDI cable.   I have also recorded wave files from
home-made, wind-blown pipes.

John B.

Thank you John for your help.

It is working now.

Re: Volume contro

BrianS
Morning John,

I appreciate your help.

As I said both volume controls are working as expected now.

For one sound source, I am using FluirR3.sf2  (General Midi only) soundfont in Fluidsynth in my Raspberry Pi.  So This disposition is only Gemeral Midi and XG Lite.  I will use it as a simple 2M + P spinet electronic organ, with 2 X 61 key manuals, and a 13 note pedalboard.  These were always the most popular organs in South Africa.  We do have other larger organs that were sold, with AGO pedalboards as well and smaller pedalboards, with 25 notes instead fo 32 notes.
For the 2'nd sound source, I am using a Yamaha PSR 295 midi arrange keyboard.  I only connect the PSR 295 and the Raspberry Pi with a USB cable, and the Raspberry automatically recognises this as a Midi device.  I can then control all the 'ranks' of the Yamaha keyboard via jOrgan.  I am doing this in order to expand the capability of the Pi.  This way, without too much difficulty and money, I can have 4 channels of audio.

So this will be an extremely cheap organ build. As I will be using 2 Raspberry Pi's running in this little beast, there will be a disposition split over 2 Raspberry Pi's, giving me 4 channels of audio for the VPO.

Adding MIDI keyboards to the mix / was: Volume control

Paul Kealy
Sounds great, John.

I'd love to see a picture of your homemade pipes.

I have created 12 separate speaker outputs from my organ software soundcards (to feed a couple dozen speaker cabs), hoping to swap two of them out to feed two ranks of MIDI-actuated winded pipes I intend to create into wind chests.

At present I have four ranks of winded pipes, and will begin using two.

I intend to slice my single (heavy) chest to create four separate, narrow chests for increased portability (similar to a set John DeMajo created).

These will replace two of my speaker channel cabs with actual pipes, the MIDI ranks going there instead of the the speaker amps.

This gives me 10 remaining channels.

For my present setup the dedicated PIANO rank plays thru a gutted baby grand shell made into a speaker cab with a Korg MIDI synth keyboard set into it (for cosmetic appearance, although the synth can perform on its own, irrespective of the organ).

I would like to create a separate in/out MIDI channel specifically to and from this MIDI keyboard itself that can interface with the organ software on its own.

Do you feel the only way I could do this would be to create a separate fourth (or fifth) manual keyboard, separate from my organ console stack of keyboards, with just that single stop, and assign it to the soundfont signal to play thru the baby grand speaker housed within its shell, or could I simply use it as I assign outputs from my current "piano" cab assignment?

If configured thru the entire system as an additional manual, it could also energize other percussion effects, chimes, etc. but I digresssssss.....

This would enable a separate pianist to provide organ-piano duets for recording MID files live, or add that as a later track into the mix.

Inquiring minds want to know! If I continue this project, I'd like to morph it into a two-player system.
At present, the speaker that sings the MIDI orchestra CHIMES rank has a dedicated channel similar to the architecture of the separate piano rank.

In addition to the exclusive piano MIDI channel, I have assigned the orchestra chimes to an exclusive channel, intending to hook up actual MIDI-controlled Mass-Rowe chimes in a set of orchestra chimes to replace the chimes speaker cab.

this gives me eight channels to spread my remaining ranks among.

pk

= = = Friday, March 3, 2017 12:48 PM John Beach wrote = = =

Brian, it occurred to me . . .   I am curious if you are inputting a Yamaha