Upgrade of AdsynDX additive synthesis program

Upgrade of AdsynDX additive synthesis program

In my tutorial on making samples from recordings of real pipe sounds, I make much use of the additive synthesis program AdsynDX, at least in those cases where the recordings being used are so poor that direct use of them is not possible. Andy Bridle, its author, has now rewritten it for Windows 7 (and presumably Windows 8). The original AdsynDX is no longer available. One outcome is that the new version will produce 24-bit samples. There are other enhancements, such as being able to impart independent envelope control to each of the harmonic components.

It has a new Graphical User Interface, which renders the screenshots in my tutorial obsolete. However, I think that the general functioning of the new version will not cause difficulties to anyone familiar with the older one. There are two details which need to be watched:

1) The GUI no longer indicates levels below 1% (i.e. in the range 0.1-0.9). It shows them as “0”. However, if they are part of a waveform which has been imported from a .csv spreadsheet file (as my method requires), they are still present.

2) Part of my Earlwood Wobble technique involves making samples where the Fundamental (Harmonic No.1) has been removed entirely. Adsyn7 and also AdsynDX will not import .csv files unless the Fundamental is present. So it has to be removed after importing it. AdsynDX actually normalizes the level of such waveforms,  so that even those with the Fundamental removed, end up at a high level. The new Adsyn7 no longer does that, and so the “wobble” .wav file has to be increased in level when it is being handled as part of the Audacity processing.  This is no problem in practice.

As a footnote, let me say that the only reason I needed to use AdsynDX in my sample-making, along with the “Earlwood Wobble", is that the many recordings I had were of insufficient length or quality to use them directly. My recent experience with Dries’s KLOP recordings suggests that direct use of recordings is to be preferred wherever possible, even if the noise issues still require substantial treatment by means of SPEAR or some other method.