Universal VTPO Project, New 4 Chamber Symphonic IV Disposition Available

Universal VTPO Project, New 4 Chamber Symphonic IV Disposition Available

kallman
Hello All,

I hope everyone had a good Easter holiday.  I've been running a little behind on getting some of the first ranks processed.  I got diverted to a toy counter project for a friends Allen GW special over the spring break.  On the plus side I ended up adding a lot of new sounds along with replacing and reworking a lot of the existing "Toy Counter"(patch 120) sounds and special effects in the old font. These will be a part of the new Universal font when it's finished.  If you want to play with some of the new toy counter sounds, they are already in my Symphonic IV SB4CH.sf2 file on my website if you wanted to download them now. There is also an updated Rank and File List of the new toy counter sounds located here: http://prosites-allmanmusic.homestead.com/JOrganinfo.html Once you've downloaded the file you c ould then use either Vienna or the Sound Font Bank manager to copy and paste the "toys" of your choice into the existing font your currently using.  Many of the new sounds are actual stereo recordings  that I did of Bill Shrives RM toy counter.
I'll keep you posted as things move along with the ranks for the new font.

In other news, lately I've spent a lot of time trying different methods to cut down on the CPU and memory usage that the Symphonic IV disposition required to run.  So far the best method I've found is to use 2 Creative SB cards (the older ones that use the EMU 1010 processor) along with the KX sound card device drivers for the cards.  BTW although you can many times get 2 SB cards to run with the Creative drivers, I've found that it is generally unstable, slow and prone to crashing the computer, The KX drivers are rock solid and super fast!

    For the single computer 2 sound card (default) arraingment, I've re-configured the Symphonic IV into 4 chambers: Main Orchestral, Solo and Bombarde.  I map the Main and Orchestral sound sources (chambers) into the first sound card's synth A and B respectively for the left stereo channels.  Next I map the Solo and Bombarde sound sources (chambers)  to the second sound card's Synth A and B for the right stereo channels.

Although this arraingment doesn't have the woulds best polyphony, only 128 total with the 2 cards,  the Symphonic IV four manual disposition can now be run on much lower powered computers than ever before.
In my personal setup I'm using 2 computers to be able to run 4 SB cards. I map the sound sources for the Main to the first sound card and the Orchestral to the second sound card in the first computer.  I then send the midi out from the sound sources to the second computer and map the chamber for the Solo to it's first sound card and the Bombarde sound chamber to the second sound card.
   With this arraingment I can get 8 front channels 2 for each chamber, 8 surround channels and 4 sub outs.  Polyphany is 256 which is adequate, howver, more is always better IMHO. The best part about this arraingment with either the 2 sound card or 4 sound card 2 computer setup is that is lightning fast, no perceptable latency at all and it has been totally rock solid with no cyphers or crashes, even after very hard abuse with a big registration on.  The only thing I've noticed with very large registrations with couplers on is some minor note drop out which is to be expected with only 256 notes of polyphany that is available with the 4 cards.

I've just uploaded the revised jOrgan disposition (console) and the revised sound font to my website (below)  I've also re-terraced (balanced) the ranks in the new font (Symphonic IV SB4CH) to take advantage of the additional stereo channels that are now available with this configuration.

I've also posted a revised installation procedure with a hybred with 1 sound card and 2 SFZ synths for 1 computer that can also be used.

I hope to now be able to start spending some more time working on the new Universal Font to get it to start to come together.

Best Regards,

Kent
Kent
Kent