Quantcast

Ubuntu Problem

12

Ubuntu Problem

I am trying to run jOrgan using Ubuntu Studio on a USB stick, which I purchased some time ago. Ubuntu Studio does seem to be working O.K.  It even has the laptop touchscreen working.  It already has Java  jre1.7.0_79 (according to the icon on the Desktop), and the file jre-7u79-linux-x64.tar.gz turns up in File Manager. I managed to download jorgan_3.20_amd64.deb, and this download was definitely saved to the USB stick, as I discovered when booting it up a second time.

When I double-clicked on the downloaded jOrgan file, the Ubuntu Software Center gives
Error:  Dependency is not satisfiable: default-jre

I followed the instructions in the jOrgan Wiki with the command
sudo apt-get install default-jre openjdk-6-jre
and got the following messages:
Package default-jre is not available, but is referred to by another package
and
Package ‘default-jre’ has no installation candidate

I even tried doing this with “7“ instead of “6” (sorry if my ignorance is showing),
with the same result (I think).

I wasn't brave enough to use the command line
update-java-alternatives -s openjdk-6-jre

So what next?

Re: Ubuntu Problem

eagles051387
Hi John,

Can you clarify what version of ubuntu studio you are using please as this will help me to get a better understanding of what is going on here.

Sven can you shed some light on if the oracle JRE is needed if so at least on ubuntu we might want to look at getting the packages sorted out.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 6:26 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have a massive hunch the package is broken. What I dont understand is why a runnable jar file (like exe for java programs) isnt available from download it allows for portability that way.

Sven can you guide me on how to generate the jar file as I am still not managing to get things working.

[...]

as I've already written the script files inside the source tree build the packages - there is one for each jar and one for each target OS.

A simple jar file is no longer available for download because nobody downloaded it after I released the OS specific packages.

The debian package ties together all dependencies, e.g. java and fluidsynth, something a jar file cannot do.
I assume that Ubuntu (Studio?) no longer has a package 'default-jre' defined.
jOrgan does not have a dependency on a specific Java version, this is why I chose a generic one.
You'll have to investigate what is the replacement for default-jre now.

Have fun
Sven

Am 31. Juli 2016, um 09:42, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> schrieb:
[...]

Hi Sven,

Does it have to use the proprietary oracle JDK/jre or would openjdk suffice. reason being is that the oracle stuff has been dropped from the ubuntu repos and only openjdk is left.

Guess its time for me to fire up an ubuntu studio vm. Where can i get the .deb file for it please.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 11:12 AM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

Thanks Sven for the feedback,

I did some research and default-jre seems to exist on all LTS versions of ubuntu (12.04, 14.04, 16.04). Any intrermediate releases are usually End Of Lifed (EOL) rather quickly which means the repos get closed and removed.

can you run on the command line an LSB_RELEASE -a and let me know what version it tells you please

Jonathan Aquilina

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 11:46 AM, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

[...]

RoyR
Hi, Jonathon,

                      Slightly O/T but I run Linux Mint, which is reputedly based on Ubuntu, and have installed jorgan_3.20_i386.deb.

Just out of curiosity I entered this in a terminal:

java -version

Which gave:

java version "1.7.0_101"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea 2.6.6) (7u101-2.6.6-0ubuntu0.14.04.1)
OpenJDK Server VM (build 24.95-b01, mixed mode)

On 31 July 2016 at 11:55, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

That's fine if I'm not mistake minimum version supported is java6.

Can you run the other command I mentioned please

Sent from my iPhone

On 31 Jul 2016, at 13:20, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

eagles051387 wrote
Can you clarify what version of ubuntu studio you are using please as this
will help me to get a better understanding of what is going on here.
Jonathan,

Many thanks to you and Sven for responding so quickly.
The label attached to the 32 GB USB stick says  Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 LTS and 64 bit.

I accessed the download via the wiki link. It took me finally to a sourceforge page: http://ncu.dl.sourceforge.net and the mirror seemed to have Japanese characters with a logo of a triangle within a circle.
I have just repeated the download twice with the same result.

Re: Ubuntu Problem

Apparently not!

roy@Roy01A ~ $ LSB_RELEASE -a
LSB_RELEASE: command not found
roy@Roy01A ~ $

I haven't a clue what all this means but the lower case version gives this:

roy@Roy01A ~ $ lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: LinuxMint
Release: 17.3
Codename: rosa
roy@Roy01A ~ $

On 31 July 2016 at 12:45, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Technically 14.04 should have the default-jre further digging will be required from my end. Will be looking into the issue of not being able to post to the bug tracker.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Sun, Jul 31, 2016 at 1:09 PM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
eagles051387 wrote
> Can you clarify what version of ubuntu studio you are using please as this
> will help me to get a better understanding of what is going on here.

Jonathan,

Many thanks to you and Sven for responding so quickly.
The label attached to the 32 GB USB stick says  Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 LTS
and 64 bit.

I accessed the download via the wiki link. It took me finally to a
sourceforge page: http://ncu.dl.sourceforge.net and the mirror seemed to
have Japanese characters with a logo of a triangle within a circle.
I have just repeated the download twice with the same result.

Re: Ubuntu Problem

Aaron Laws wrote
Did you install java? When you run java -version;, what is returned?
Aaron,
Thank you for your suggestions. The special USB memory stick I bought already has Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 LTS installed, and it has Java already (Version 7, it seems).

Using the command line  java -version  the following was returned:

The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
* default-jre
* gcj-4.8-jre-headless
* openjdk-7-jre-headless
* gcj-4.6-jre-headless
* openjdk-6-jre-headless
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

So I tried the top one, and got the answer "Has no installation candidate", which I expected. It shows that that list is out of date.

I do not know enough to try any of the other ones with confidence.

Re: Ubuntu Problem

RoyR
Try running

  sudo apt-get update

first then the commands you listed.

On 1 August 2016 at 23:56, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron Laws wrote
> Did you install java? When you run java -version;, what is returned?

Aaron,
Thank you for your suggestions. The special USB memory stick I bought
already has Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 LTS installed, and it has Java already
(Version 7, it seems).

Using the command line  java -version  the following was returned:

The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
* default-jre
* gcj-4.8-jre-headless
* openjdk-7-jre-headless
* gcj-4.6-jre-headless
* openjdk-6-jre-headless
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

So I tried the top one, and got the answer "Has no installation candidate",
which I expected. It shows that that list is out of date.

I do not know enough to try any of the other ones with confidence.

Re: Ubuntu Problem

RoyR wrote
Try running

  *sudo apt-get update*

first then the commands you listed.
Roy,
Thanks. I did that, and the terminal showed what I assume to be the appropriate messages. I then tried for default-jre, but got the same message as in my original post above.
I do not know enough to decide which of the other options listed I should or should not try.

Re: Ubuntu Problem

eagles051387

Can you try and install openjdk-7-jre-headless as in my research i saw that that package has default-jre in it. not sure even what default-jre package is to be honest with you.

If that works let me know and i will need to update the deb script.

Jonathan Aquilina

On Tue, Aug 2, 2016 at 12:56 AM, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Aaron Laws wrote
> Did you install java? When you run java -version;, what is returned?

Aaron,
Thank you for your suggestions. The special USB memory stick I bought
already has Ubuntu Studio 14.04.1 LTS installed, and it has Java already
(Version 7, it seems).

Using the command line  java -version  the following was returned:

The program 'java' can be found in the following packages:
* default-jre
* gcj-4.8-jre-headless
* openjdk-7-jre-headless
* gcj-4.6-jre-headless
* openjdk-6-jre-headless
Try: sudo apt-get install <selected package>

So I tried the top one, and got the answer "Has no installation candidate",
which I expected. It shows that that list is out of date.

I do not know enough to try any of the other ones with confidence.

Re: Ubuntu Problem

Hi, John,

               The other useful thing to run is
sudo apt-get upgrade

which should always be preceded by the

update

I gave previously.

The update checks that your list of repositories is up to date. upgrade goes ahead and installs any software version more recent than those in your system. Both commands are needed to keep your system fully up to date.

RoyR wrote