Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

Chris P
Hi, All
I have recently recorded in mono using a very (very) basic recorder three ranks of an organ, Gedackt, No.1 Open Diapason and the Trumpet, which I played for over forty years.
The organ was built by the firm of Peter Conacher (The Old Firm) in Huddersfield, UK, and is in its original state. It's a three manual 26 rank tracker.
More information about this organ can be found at http://www.npor.org.uk/xnpor_search_ri.shtml and enter in the search box  - N03404  this should bring up Golcar Providence Methodist Church.
I have "Spear-ed" the samples, looped them and compiled an sf2 file of the initial three ranks.
I require some experienced soundfont engineers/audiophiles to voice their opinions on the work so far!
The file is small enough at the moment to email.

Ultimately, I hope that this disposition will be of suitable quality to be added to the growing collection. Although I will need someone to do the graphics.

If better quality sampling is required I may purchase a hand held stereo digital recorder but this must be no more that £100, $159, €115 or 2 million Drachma. Has anyone used or have any knowledge on these recorders?

Regards
Chris P

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

Chester Berry
Chris,

I have had stunning success with the Marantz Pro 670 digital recorder, although at a retail price of US$699, it might be beyond the price range you indicated.  Beyond its superb performance, it can be operated without external power in total darkness, as it can run on eight AA cells (including rechargeable cells).  The control panel can be continually illuminated once the unit is started, and it can generate, even from batteries, the 42 vDC phantom power that some microphones require.

The unit is about the size of a large book (approx 2 x 7 x 10 inches) and I'd estimate weighs less than 10 pounds.  The heaviest part is the removable battery pack, which is NOT required to be inserted if the unit is connected to AC power via a "wall wart".  The only annoyance I have with the unit is that separate transformers must be purchased for 120V and 220V operation -- no single unit is voltage agile.  Reliability has been perfect, and except for the controls, there are no moving parts.

The unit records to Compact Flash cards -- this is the only format the unit uses.  Since it is continually recording to the card, I've had difficulty with lesser quality cards.  I'd recommend using only SanDisk or Lexar CF cards.

Hope this helps.
/s/Chester H Berry
Salt Lake City, Utah, USA

Re: Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

Chris,

Do you not have a suitable laptop you can use as your audio recorder?
The more basic question then is which microphone you are using, and whether you need a preamplifier.
If you are using SPEAR on all your samples, then the signal/noise issue becomes less severe.

John R

Chris P wrote
If better quality sampling is required I may purchase a hand held stereo digital recorder

Re: Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

Chris P
Hi, Chester
The Marantz is way, way beyond my budget. I was thinking of something like the Alesis Two Track Stereo Digital Hand-Held Recorder which uses a CF card. Your points on the varying quality of these cards has been noted.
Thanks

Chris P
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

Chris P
John
I don't have a laptop. Although there is a laptop in the church getting permission to use it may be problematic. The microphone that I have used is actually the built-in mic of a Creative Muvo MP3 player. The cleaned up sound has very much suprised me!
So it would be cost of a decent pair of mics and a preamp against a stereo hand held recorder.

Regards
Chris P
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

DellAnderson
Let me see - no laptop, no recorder, no organ access too?...  ;-)   But we look forward to whatever you are able to create with limited resources.   Quite a challenge under the best of circumstances, but without tools it may be even more challenging.

May I suggest at least considering renting of recorder equipment?  I don't know where you live exactly, but in the bay area and in LA videographers often rent the high end equipment to avoid obsolescence cost of buying electronics that become outdated in a few months when they are only used occasionally.   Not sure it would be much cheaper than your budget, but a weekend rental arrangement might be worked out for reasonable price if you know what mikes and recording equipment you want (or they recommend).

Another option that might work is if some day some of us really get into this is doing a group purchase and then sharing the equipment on a time share basis.  Just a thought with shipping costs being fairly reasonable, although it would add up quick if the device was only a cheapie.

Whatever you do, please share your experience (warts and all) because some of us are a bit envious of you actually doing it!

Re: Trial Sampling of Pipe Organ - Testers Required

Chris P
Dell

"Let me see - no laptop, no recorder, no organ access too?...  ;-)"
 I have no problem with access to the church and organ. It's use of the church's laptop.

"I don't know where you live exactly"

Huddersfield, UK. See first post. :-)

"a weekend rental arrangement might be worked out for reasonable price".

It would be cheaper, here, to buy!

"Another option that might work is if some day some of us really get into this is doing a group purchase and then sharing the equipment on a time share basis"

I was hoping to borrow the equipment after "the group" had finished sampling an organ, I think it was in France.

Chris
Location: West Yorkshire, UK