Technics Organs

Jim Pinder
 I don't think Roy has explained how the Technics works -

I had a U60 - which I had to give away in the end when I built jOrgan.

Each keyboard on the Technics has a little block of pushbuttons. These
link in (or out) blocks of sounds - e.g. tabs, string synth, orchestral
synth, percussion, etc, so entire divisions can be switched in and out
of play quickly.

Within these blocks are then a number of tabs for the individual
voices - so to play an 8ft flute, you have to have the 8ft flute tab
pressed, but the "tabs" button on the keyboard block must be pressed
also before it will sound.

The volume control Roy was refering to is on the "division" for
example the string synth - so the volume of the entire string synth
sound block can be regulated against the rest of the organ.

The principle is fairly easy to achieve in jOrgan - using couplers -
but to regulate the volume of the entire division is something else -
and then to get it memorised is a little bit beyond the capabilities of
jOrgan (yet)

Tiscali Broadband only £9.99 a month for your first 3 months! http://www.tiscali.co.uk/products/broadband/

Re: Technics Organs

RoyR
Hi, Jim,

           I haven't seen a U60, but it sounds as though it's quite a bit different from an EA5.

   Each keyboard has the group of master controls as you describe, though they're called 'Organ', 'Sound 1', 'Sound 2' and 'Solo'. These are within easy reach when you play.

    'Organ' enables the usual row of organ tabs, one for each keyboard, but the other 3  correspond with another group on the left-hand side of the console... three more buttons for each keyboard, again called sound1,2, solo. Each group of 3 has 10 more buttons, so you can set any one of 10 sound groups "Strings, piano etc." on each of the 3 master controls. When you press one of the 10 sound groups, it brings up a menu of all the possible sounds in that group, from which you then choose via scroll buttons.

   Finally, you can actually PLAY something!

... Only kidding, it sounds complicated when you have to spell it all out in plain text, but in practice it doesn't take long to get used to it, and, of course the possible permutations are mind-boggling.

    I used to joke that on my old E66, if you press a button marked 'Piano' you get a piano (Seems REASONABLE!). On this one, if you press a button marked 'piano', it says,

  "Oh yes, Sir, and which of these 12 pianos would you like?

   I digress, as usual!  To get back to the main point, the LCD display has a row of UP/DOWN buttons along the bottom, which allow you to set each division seperately to 128 levels. All these values are remembered as part of the registration when you set any of the 8 general pistons.

     I trust this helps to confuse the issue completely!

... Trouble is, all this is a bit academic at the moment because the EA5 is broke! So will I be by the time I get it repaired, if that is possible!