Startup questions for 3-manual VTPO

Jim Pitts
After much procrastination, I am launching the build of a VTPO and am soliciting some feedback.  My hope is to use jOrgan due to cost considerations and my preferred organ is the Freedom Morton 3/17.  I am more than competent in both classical and theatre organ performance, therefore I prefer more than ten ranks.  The computer I hope to use runs Windows XP Pro which has 6 Ghz RAM ~ simply because I have such a unit which can be dedicated exclusively to the organ.  I have excellent audio equipment and speakers to use in this project.  My console is a 3-manual, 32 pedal horseshoe.  I do NOT intend to use SAMS in the initial phase of this project but may add them later as I have an abundance of Reisners on hand.  Does anyone see a problem with these specifications thus far?

Is the 3/17 Freedom Morton available for use in the jOrgan platform?  I know it can be hosted by the Hauptwerk free addition but with highly limited polyphony.  From a cost standpoint, I prefer to use jOrgan and save the cost of Hauptwerk relays ~ ~ if the organ of preference can be operated by jOrgan with samples/soundfonts.

I am open to any suggestions, criticisms, and guidance anyone may choose to offer. Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.

Jim Pitts

Re: Startup questions for 3-manual VTPO

grahamg
Hi Jim,

The Freedom Morton 3/15 did a couple of rounds of Beta testing, but
was never publicly released in a v1 release version as I then went on
to create the 3/17 version in Hauptwerk. I still have the 3/15 for
jOrgan on my harddrive, but my ADSL line is down (and has been for a
few days). Once the ADSL line is back I will upload the latest of what
I have for you. In the mean time, get the 3/10 running - see
https://sites.google.com/site/savirtualorgans/home/jorgan-freedom-morton-3-10-theatre-organ

It is my intent to have the full 3/17 available to jOrgan users, but
I'm in the middle of too many other projects at the moment!

Kind regards,
GrahamG

On 2/5/15, Jim Pitts <[hidden email]> wrote:

> After much procrastination, I am launching the build of a VTPO and am
> soliciting some feedback.  My hope is to use jOrgan due to cost
> considerations and my preferred organ is the Freedom Morton 3/17.  I am
> more
> than competent in both classical and theatre organ performance, therefore I
> prefer more than ten ranks.  The computer I hope to use runs Windows XP Pro
> which has 6 Ghz RAM ~ simply because I have such a unit which can be
> dedicated exclusively to the organ.  I have excellent audio equipment and
> speakers to use in this project.  My console is a 3-manual, 32 pedal
> horseshoe.  I do NOT intend to use SAMS in the initial phase of this
> project
> but may add them later as I have an abundance of Reisners on hand.  Does
> anyone see a problem with these specifications thus far?
>
> Is the 3/17 Freedom Morton available for use in the jOrgan platform?  I
> know
> it can be hosted by the Hauptwerk free addition but with highly limited
> polyphony.  From a cost standpoint, I prefer to use jOrgan and save the
> cost
> of Hauptwerk relays ~ ~ if the organ of preference can be operated by
> jOrgan
> with samples/soundfonts.
>
> I am open to any suggestions, criticisms, and guidance anyone may choose to
> offer. Thanks in advance for any assistance offered.
>
> Jim Pitts

Re: Startup questions for 3-manual VTPO

Chris P
Hi, Jim

I have limited knowledge of what the minimum computer requirements are for running jOrgan. This subject has if my memory serves me correctly, which I query myself now, has been debated on this forum in the past.

From my own personal experience, I have run jOrgan on 3 desktop PCs. All run Windows XP Pro SP3 16 bit and all with onboard sound. I did put a soundcard into an earlier PC and it had massive latency using its own reverb.

One PC is now in the loft. Wouldn't look at some of my bigger dispositions. It has a dual core 2.6Ghz processor.
One is 3 Ghz dual core AMD Athlon II 250, Realtek sound. Ran jOrgan fine, but I could hear it's cooling fan above the wind noise from the organs. I have replaced it with a SFF PC 3 Ghz dual core with onboard sound, SRS & Soundmax choices. I can run this with jOrgan max polyphony setting, a soundfont of 598Mb & no noticeable latency using Jack/Portaudio/Reverberate.

The maximum size of a single instance of an sf2 soundfont is 600 Mb. which you are limited to using Jack, so your RAM shouldn't pose a problem. I'm not sure how many instances of soundfont you can use with the other methods of porting the sound and jOrgan limits.

Hope this helps.

Regards
Chris P

Have fun!
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Startup questions for 3-manual VTPO

Jim Pitts
Thanks for the quick reply, Graham.  I shall take your advice and install the 3/10 which will get the project moving forward and await release of the 3/17 in jOrgan format.  If the bug bites sufficiently hard, I may spring for the appropriate Hauptwerk platform but for now I'm trying to keep costs at a minimum.  Thank you for all your efforts in making these organs available to the public.  I'm sure I'll have questions as this project takes form but I'm reading everything posted to the forum in hopes of avoiding elementary questions previously answered.

Jim
'

Re: Startup questions for 3-manual VTPO

Jim Pitts
Chris, thank you for your feedback.  I'm fairly certain from what I have read thus far that the XP Pro (SP3) will handle jOrgan and a small theatre package such as the Freedom Morton 3/10.  If I spring for a larger stoplist later, I'll probably move into the current century with a better computer of more recent vintage.  XP is no longer supported by Microsoft and some of the on-line patches and alleged upgrades are very unreliable.  I'll give it a chance and see what happens.  Thanks again for your comments and speedy reply.

Jim
BCA

Re: Startup questions for 3-manual VTPO

BCA
Administrator
My organ console pc runs XP for many years now. After installation of XP service Pack 3, and necessary sound drivers and AVG Antivirus, I've cut off the console pc from the internet. I never run a MS "security update" and the system runs and runs and runs for 7 years now. Meanwhile, it runs Linux too.

The only disadvantage of WinXP 32-bit is the 4 GB RAM limitation.
all the best,
BCA

Re: Startup questions for 3-manual VTPO

filippo racioppi
I run several istances of Fluidsynth ( up to eight ) and eight cuncurrent convolution reverbs  on a linux machine with 2GBRAM with solid state HD without any problem.
filippo r

My organ console pc runs XP for many years now. After installation of XP
service Pack 3, and necessary sound drivers and AVG Antivirus, I've cut off
the console pc from the internet. I never run a MS "security update" and the
system runs and runs and runs for 7 years now. Meanwhile, it runs Linux too.

The only disadvantage of WinXP 32-bit is the 4 GB RAM limitation.

-----
all the best,
BCA
Filippo