Soundfont - sample resolution

What is the best sample resolution supported by the soundfont format, both in terms of sampling rate as well as bit depth?

Re: Soundfont - sample resolution

grahamg
Hi Brian,

> What is the best sample resolution supported by the soundfont format, both
> in terms of sampling rate as well as bit depth?

The original soundfont format did not specify limitations of sample
rate and depth. Soundfont chips and players required those settings.
Fluidsynth supports sample reates from 22.05kz to 96kz (with 44.1kz as
the default) at 16 bits.  As far as I recall, Fluidsynth can load
24-bit samples, but only by rendering them as 16-bit first...

If you have recorded samples in 96kz or higher, after noise reduction
and processing I would recommend down-sampling to 48kz 16-bit for
soundfont use. 44.1kz 16-bit is CD quality and still very very good.

GG

Re: Soundfont - sample resolution

BrianS
Thank you Graham,  that is exactly what I needed to know.  I've been getting the idea that soundfont is inferior and not really worth using, but my ears are happy with what I hear.

Re: Soundfont - sample resolution

The things that are missing with soundfonts are the 'extras' that help reduce aural fatigue - the exact same sounds playing each time you play that note makes your hearing 'tired', so after a certain time period you don't feel like playing the organ anymore, which is what multiple loops help to reduce; and the ease of defining a release sample. Longer samples also help reduce aural fatigue, and the RAM limitations of Fluidsynth are then a negative in comparison to other sample players.

Re: Soundfont - sample resolution

Graham Wykes
Hi Graham,

Agree wholeheartedly. Poor reverb can also play a part in aural fatigue.

Do you feel that the multilayer roundrobin that a good SFZ player uses has value in regard to this problem? Does this facility make SFZ inherently better for organs?

Cheers
Graham

On 27 Jun 2017 1:50 AM, "Graham Goode" <[hidden email]> wrote:
The things that are missing with soundfonts are the 'extras' that help reduce aural fatigue - the exact same sounds playing each time you play that note makes your hearing 'tired', so after a certain time period you don't feel like playing the organ anymore, which is what multiple loops help to reduce; and the ease of defining a release sample. Longer samples also help reduce aural fatigue, and the RAM limitations of Fluidsynth are then a negative in comparison to other sample players.

Re: Soundfont - sample resolution

grahamg
Hi GrahamW

> Agree wholeheartedly. Poor reverb can also play a part in aural fatigue.
Yes! Poor speakers too :D

> Do you feel that the multilayer roundrobin that a good SFZ player uses has
> value in regard to this problem? Does this facility make SFZ inherently
> better for organs?
Yes. Even more so than multiple loops. You can also have roundrobin in
Hauptwerk, but it's rather difficult to create as the CODM does not
create it.