SOS - jOrgan has gone blind

Graham Harrison
Hi Sven

Having done a little tour of the Linux distros, I have returned to the one that I tried first of all, namely the JAD (Jacklab) SuSe 10.2 distro, which has had a few bugs removed in the meantime.  Installation went fine; nice shiny new versions of jack and qsynth are in place, snd-virmidi and Java JRE 1.5 installed etc. etc.  Finally I installed jOrgan and launched it, only to find that jOrgan is not "seeing" any of my MIDI devices.  I get the Problem message "Device xyz is not available" against Console and each keyboard.  And when I try to configure jOrgan Properties, the only devices I am offered are are jOrgan Midi Merger, jOrgan keyboard and Real Time sequencer.  jOrgan is not recognising my Audigy MIDI IO, nor my Midisport inputs, nor even the virmidi virtual MIDI ports.  The debug panel is empty.  The start-up messages in the Terminal are bog-standard.  Re-launching, re-booting, trying other dispositions all give the same result.  And yet all the devices are present and recognised by jack.  Help!

Graham

Re: SOS - jOrgan has gone blind

Hi Graham,

yes, it seems that Java isn't able to get access to your Midi devices. I
assume that you don't see any native midi devices in the Midi Merger
setup either?

Regretfully I have no experience with Java and sound on Linux. Perhaps
you could try another Java sound application to be sure that this isn't
caused by a jOrgan specific problem?

Sven

Graham Harrison schrieb:

> Hi Sven
>
> Having done a little tour of the Linux distros, I have returned to the
> one that I tried first of all, namely the JAD (Jacklab) SuSe 10.2
> distro, which has had a few bugs removed in the meantime.
> Installation went fine; nice shiny new versions of jack and qsynth are
> in place, snd-virmidi and Java JRE 1.5 installed etc. etc.  Finally I
> installed jOrgan and launched it, only to find that jOrgan is not
> "seeing" any of my MIDI devices.  I get the Problem message "Device
> xyz is not available" against Console and each keyboard.  And when I
> try to configure jOrgan Properties, the only devices I am offered are
> are jOrgan Midi Merger, jOrgan keyboard and Real Time
> sequencer.  jOrgan is not recognising my Audigy MIDI IO, nor my
> Midisport inputs, nor even the virmidi virtual MIDI ports.  The debug
> panel is empty.  The start-up messages in the Terminal are
> bog-standard.  Re-launching, re-booting, trying other dispositions all
> give the same result.  And yet all the devices are present and
> recognised by jack.  Help!
>
> Graham

Re: SOS - jOrgan has gone blind

Graham Harrison
Hi Sven
Around these parts we say "A nod is as good as a wink."  On the basis of
your message I decided to uninstall and reinstall the java-1_5_0-sun package
(which is the Java 5 Runtime Environment) and the java-1_5_0-sun-plugin
(which adds some functionality to my web browser, I believe).  Whilst I was
doing so, I noticed that a package called java-1_5_0-sun-alsa was also
available, so I installed that as well, for good measure!  On other
occasions I have only needed to install one package - but never mind - the
good news is that jOrgan can see again!
Thank you.