SFZ: Getting Started.

RoyR
Hi, Graham,

                  Is there a 'Child's Guide' to getting sfz started in jOrgan? I've installed and run it, but all I get is a little dialogue window which doesn't seem to do very much. It doesn't appear in jOrgan as a sound source, so I haven't a clue what the next step should be!

Re: SFZ: Getting Started.

Graham Harrison
Hi Roy

I have attached some notes that I did for a friend who might have got started with jOrgan + sfz (In the event, he didn't, because he's still really a Hauptwerk man at heart, although he hasn't got a Hauptwerk organ to play at the moment!).

Obviously you will be able to skip some sections of these notes - and also, be aware that in the jOrgan configuration section, I was telling the guy how to re-configure one of my dispositions, hence the stuff about Midisport 4x4 etc.

The "ideal" set-up for sfz is to have a Soundblaster Audigy 2ZS soundcard running under Windows XP and Creative Lab's drivers.  Using the Creative Audigy ASIO drivers, you can open and use up to three instances of sfz with no problem - but you can't use more than three instances.

Forget kX drivers for this exercise - they only support one instance of sfz.

If you don't have an Audigy - for example if you are using an SBLive, or the onboard-soundchip in your PC - you will need to install ASIO4ALL (freely downloadable if you don't already have it).  And in sfz's ASIO menu, that is the ASIO driver you will need to select.  (ASIO4ALL basically enables any old soundcard to run as if it had ASIO drivers - but latency and CPU usage are not as good with ASIO4ALL as with the native Audigy drivers).

If this guide isn't clear enough, get back to me, and I will try to improve on it - or I will try to answer any specific questions.

Best wishes

Graham
                  Is there a 'Child's Guide' to getting sfz started in jOrgan? I've installed and run it, but all I get is a little dialogue window which doesn't seem to do very much. It doesn't appear in jOrgan as a sound source, so I haven't a clue what the next step should be!

jOrgan and sfz instructions.rtf (9K) Download Attachment

Re: SFZ: Getting Started.

kallman
Hello Roy and Graham,

  I just put up a quicky SFZ synth set up on the jOrgan Wiki http://www.virtualmidiorgan.com  under the FAQ section.
 Kent

                  Is there a 'Child's Guide' to getting sfz started in jOrgan? I've installed and run it, but all I get is a little dialogue window which doesn't seem to do very much. It doesn't appear in jOrgan as a sound source, so I haven't a clue what the next step should be!

Re: SFZ: Getting Started.

Hi, Graham and Kent,

                              Yep... Up and running in next to no time with a little help from my friends!

      Thanks very much for your help.