Routing stop divisions to different speakers

Routing stop divisions to different speakers

Jerryorgan123
Hello!
I am fairly new to jOrgan so I'm sorry if this seems like a stupid question lol.

Anyway, I have installed jOrgan 3.19 on a Windows XP computer which has a realtek HD soundcard. I would like to route the great division to come out of one audio jack to one speaker and the swell to another, etc...
I read a few posts on here that suggested I go into construction mode, find the fluidsynth icon for each division, then go to the properties menu and select which audio device I would like to correspond with that division. However, on all the dispositions I have downloaded, there is only one fluidsynth icon for the whole disposition that is labelled "fluidsynth sounds" and I am not sure how I can break that up into divisions and route each one to a different audio output. Can someone please guide me in the right direction?

Thankyou so much!
Jerry

P.S. sorry if I used some incorrect terms here, I'm still not entirely familiar with all the proper jOrgan terms.

Re: Routing stop divisions to different speakers

Jerry,

Strictly speaking, the Sound Forum is mainly intended for posts relating to specific dispositions and soundfonts. Your question is more broadly-based, I think, and so it may gain more coverage if you repost it to the main Forum. Having said all that, I must admit that most posters seem to ignore the Sound Forum and use only the main Forum, regardless of what their posts are about.

Your post does not make it clear whether you are talking about two audio channels (a normal stereo set-up) or four audio channels (two stereo “channels”).

Many jOrgan dispositions contain only one instance of Fluidsynth, which means that they are limited to a normal stereo set-up.  In such a situation it is possible for the designer to “pan” the sounds within the soundfont so that, for example, the Great sounds might come from the left half of the audio field, and the Swell sounds from the right half of the audio field. However, it is not the case that the left-hand speaker is producing only Great sounds, and the right-hand speaker only Swell sounds.

If you wish to have complete separation of the Great and Swell sounds, you need a soundcard which provides four audio channels, and a disposition which has two instances of Fluidsynth, each containing its own soundfont - one for the Great and another for the Swell. An alternative, if using only a normal stereo set-up, would be for the designer to pan hard-left the Great sounds, and hard-right the Swell sounds. This could be done with just theone instance of Fluisdynth, and it would certainly have the effect of separating the Great and Swell sounds into the two speakers, but it would lose any stereo effect within each department, which in my opinion would be undesirable.

Re: Routing stop divisions to different speakers

Jerryorgan123
Hi John,
Thankyou so much for your response! Also, I had no idea that the sound forum was mostly for disposition questions, etc. so thanks for telling me!
I am talking about a normal stereo setup. I believe that my computer has a realtek HD soundcard, which contains I think 4 output jacks, one is for stereo front speakers, one is for back speakers, etc.
I think I would like to have lets say, the great division come out of one stereo pair, and the swell out of another, and so on.
So, I would not want to pan "hard-left" the great and "hard-right" the swell because as you said, the sound would not be as good a quality as if it were stereo.

I am using the "American Classic organ" disposition but it only has one instance of fluidsynth.
In order to route the great division to one stereo pair and the swell to another, and choir to another, do I need to reconfigure the fluidsynth so that there are three instances?
Then, once I have done that, I just do not no where to go in order to chose to audio output for each division. Would I have to go into construction mode, find an instance of fluidsynth, then go under properties.

Thanks again!
Jerry

Re: Routing stop divisions to different speakers

Jerry,

Your first task is really to identify just what audio outputs your soundcard is offering. You may wish to keep thinking in terms of stereo channels (each consisting of two audio channels), but I suspect that one of the outputs will actually be mono, as it is intended for a subwoofer (I am only guessing).

Your post suggests that you want six audio channels to allow to have Great, Swell and Choir coming out of separate stereo channels (what about the Pedals?). Perhaps your sound card allows this - I don’t know.

In any event, to have three separate stereo channels you do need three instances of Fluidsynth. These can be added to the disposition using the Construct mode. You will need to alter the references appropriately. You also need to have three separate soundfont files for Great, Swell and Choir, each loaded into the corresponding Fluidsynth instance. I believe that John Beach has recently explained how to produce three separate soundfont files from a single file using Viena, in a recent Forum post. If you can't find it, you may find the “COPY PRESET” paragraph in my Viena tutorial helpful:
http://home.exetel.com.au/reimerorgans/ART/Use_of_Viena.pdf

This could be an ongoing saga. Don’t hesitate to ask for further help if you need it.

I have no experience of using a soundcard with more than one stereo output  (two audio channels), so I can’t give specific advice on how to connect up a number of channels with confidence. However, I believe that it will not be all that difficult when the time comes, and someone else may like to chime in at that point. But you have quite a bit of work ahead of you before you get to that point!

Best wishes,

Re: Routing stop divisions to different speakers

John M
Jerry,

Doing what you want is certainly feasible, but it requires more than one soundfont in the disposition.  It is not difficult to take an existing soundfont and break it into as many "pieces" as you like.  (I've noticed a disposition or two that used a different soundfont for each rank.  It's even possible to split a single rank into more than one soundfont.)  Many in the group use Polyphone, a program designed especially for organ soundfonts.  I recommend it, too.   It's intuitive and not so difficult as some programs:  http://www.polyphone.fr/

After it's downloaded and installed, just open the soundfont in question and save it with whatever you'd like to call it, eg. Great, Swell, etc.  Then select the stops that are not part of the division and delete them.  (Save it.)

Then in jOrgan go to Construct Organ and create a new instance of Fluidsynth with your new soundfont.  There will be places to tell it to use dsound (easiest for multiple soundfonts), tell it what speakers to use, and where the file is located. You'll also be asked to tell the program what is referenced to the new soundfont.  That just means to select which ranks are part of the new instance of Fuildsynth.

Please let me know if this is not quite enough information.  I'll be glad to step you through it.

Take care.

John M
John Maher