Quantcast

Request for Help with VPO Project

Leisesturm
Greetings,
               Yesterday a 3lb. box arrived from the MIDI Boutique in Bulgaria, which now makes official the start of my first (only?) VPO project. I will be using a non-functional 3 manual Eminent Omegan 9000 as the physical console, and I do not plan to use touch-screens. My hope is to figure out how to use the existing stoptabs and lighted pistons for control of the "American Classic" and "English Organ" dispositions created by Paul Stratman.

I have searched for the J'Organ for Beginners tutorial by Bill Skees but can only find Part 2! Does anyone here have, or know where I might obtain the complete document? Does anyone know of similar documents that might cover exactly how communication is handled TO the console? In other words, I can kind of understand how 'note on/off' signals are encoded to MIDI and sent to the J'Organ software. More difficult to understand is how MIDI messages from J'Organ are sent back to the console to turn on or off indicators for active stops or displays that I might purchase to show the status of my (planned) multi-memory level combination action. I also hope to use Novation Launchpads to activate stops beyond the 50 or so that can be activated by existing stoptabs on the console. Thanks in advance for any leads or information.

Howard

Re: Request for Help with VPO Project

grahamg
Hi Howard,

And welcome to the jOrgan forum. :)

jOrgan runs on JAVA, and interfaces natively with the LinuxSampler and
Fluidsynth sound engines (all of which run on Windows, Linux, and
OS-X). jOrgan also interfaces with Generic MIDI, and so can interact
with any MIDI application or sound module. That being said - jOrgan
installs with the Fluidsynth engine by default. On Windows it installs
Fluidsynth when it installs jOrgan. On Linux and OS-X it links to
Fluidsynth via those operating system's dependencies (and so
Fluidsynth must be installed separately).

The biggest issue with jOrgan/Fluidsynth is the fact that Windows can
run 32-bit and 64-bit applications at the same time, and jOrgan calls
to Fluidsynth have to be Bit-Matched - so if you're running on 32-bit
JAVA then you have to have the 32-bit Fluidsynth, and if you're
running on 64-bit JAVA then you have to have the 64-bit Fluidsynth.

In regard to your project, jOrgan has two main avenues of MIDI
communication In and Out. The first relates to the GUI console, and is
managed via the Connector element. Each Stop element is then
configured to receive and activate/deactivate via a MIDI message
(typically Program Change or Note On/Off). MIDI signals can also be
sent out of jOrgan via the Connector element, so a Stop element (or
any other GUI element on the console) can be configured to send a
message.

The second avenue of MIDI communication is the flow of MIDI messages
In from the MIDI keyboards through the jOrgan relay and out into a
Sound engine. This is accomplished using the Keyboard elements for
receiving these MIDI messages, the Keyboard element is connected to a
Stop element that is then connected to a Rank element, which is then
connected to a Sound element (typically a Fluidsynth Sound element).
Stop elements are also connected to the Console element so that you
can see them, as well as Combination elements so that you can use them
in Generals or Divisionals, etc.. Rank elements are connected to other
elements that control things like expression.

Once you have jOrgan up and running, let us know, and we'll guide you
through configuring things for the console.

Kind regards,

Re: Request for Help with VPO Project

Bill Skees