Report on Balzan and Fontana

In a recent post which I haven't yet located, I said that I couldn't use the two Maltese organs along with portaudio, as there was a Fluidsynth failure. It meant that I couldn't have the excellent latency and reverberation I am used to at my home organ console. I am very pleased to report that I have now identified the problem - those VPO's come with a Sample Rate of 48 kHz, instead ot the 44.1 KHz I normally use. One of a number of traps for the unwary. So here is one of the details you need to check if you are having problems getting Fluidsynth to work.

Re: Report on Balzan and Fontana

jbeach2646
When portaudio first was made available to us, we were told that the 44,100
(default) setting in Fluidsynth would need to be changed to 48,000.  I can't
remember if Sven told us this, or Bernd or Graham G.  But, we were informed.

Re: Report on Balzan and Fontana

jbeach2646 wrote
When portaudio first was made available to us, we were told that the 44,100
(default) setting in Fluidsynth would need to be changed to 48,000.
JohnB,

I don't think that is the full story, since my portaudio backends work very well with 44.1 KHz, especially now that I've spotted the discrepancy in my system and remedied it. What is important is that the sample rate should line up with whatever rate applies to any soundcard in use. If there is such a requirement regarding 48 kHz, it may apply to special cases, but we need someone more in the know to post about it.

Re: Portaudio and 48K requirement

jbeach2646
"it may apply to special cases, but we need
someone more in the know to post about it."

I think that would be Sven.

Re: Portaudio and 48K requirement

grahamg
Remember that the PortAudio backend supply ASIO, WASAPI, and WDM-KS drivers depending on which version of the backend you have downloaded.

WASAPI requires that your Fluidsynth driver sample rate equals the sample rate that your sound card is configured for.

Some ASIO drivers do too.

WDM-KS is usually more forgiving, but in some cases (sound card driver dependent) you'll need to match sample rates as well.

So there is no single definitive answer. It depends on the drivers.

GrahamG

On Jun 25, 2017 at 8:09 AM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

"it may apply to special cases, but we need
someone more in the know to post about it."

I think that would be Sven.

Re: Portaudio and 48K requirement

grahamg wrote
So there is no single definitive answer. It depends on the drivers.
Thank you, Graham.

Re: Portaudio and 48K requirement

I was simply reiterating what we were told at the time.  I have also found that my samples which are all 44.1K work in Fluidsynth Portaudio at a setting of either 48K or 44.1K.  Where I found
severe “snap, crackle and pop” was when I converted them all to 96K and set the audio card and Fluidsynth for 96K.  I had to increase the buffer size in jOrgan Customizer to 3072 in order to
get rid of the “snap, crackle and pop.”  Then I read up on the subject and realized that there was no advantage to be gained by avoiding the default 44.1K.