Release Plans

As you have seen, I've been compiling and testing Sven's changes for
Java 9/10 (for Linux and Windows so far, OS-X hopefully this week),
the latest Fluidsynth release (1.1.11), and the latest PortAudio code
for ASIO/WASAPI/WDMKS drivers.

Once I am happy with the builds I will create a jOrgan 3.22 folder and
upload installers for Linux (DEB), Windows, OS-X, and Rpi (DEB). This
will likely be the final jOrgan v3.xx release as Fluidsynth is in beta
testing of their Fluidsynth v2.0.

The Fluidsynth v2.0 API is different to Fluidsynth v1.1 and so the
fluidsynth wrapper code has to be updated. I have managed do this with
help from some Fluidsynth devs :) As this WILL NOT BE BACKWARD
COMPATIBLE with Fluidsynth v1.1 I plan to create a jOrgan 3.22 branch
on our Subversion repository (this keeps the code as it is for
Fluidsynth 1 users), and continue in Trunk with jOrgan 4.0. The change
in major version number signifies the breaking change in jOrgan
supporting Fluidsynth v2.0.  As Fluidsynth v2 is still only available
in Beta testing, this means that our 4.0 builds will be released as
'testing' releases until Fluidsynth v2.0 has its final release.

Kind regards,
GrahamG

Fluidsynth 2.0 New Features:
* implement polyphonic key pressure (#185, thanks to @mawe42)
* add API for manipulating default modulators (#265, #164, #71, thanks
to @mawe42)
* add `midi.autoconnect` setting for automatically connecting
fluidsynth with available MIDI Input ports (currently only for
`alsa_seq` thanks to @tomcucinotta)
* add seek support to midi-player (#261, thanks to @loki666)
* add support for text and lyrics midi events (#111)
* add support for 24 bit sample soundfonts (#301, #329)
* consider "important midi channels" during overflow calculation
`synth.overflow.important-channels` (#294, thanks to @mawe42)
* add a custom default modulator for MIDI CC8 to support proper stereo
balance (#317, thanks to @mawe42)
* add support for an additional custom high-pass filter (#331, thanks
to @mawe42)
* incorporate JJC's polymono patch (#306, #236, #158)
  * add basic channel support
  * implement MIDI modes Omni On, Omni Off, Poly, Mono
  * implement portamento control
  * implement legato control
  * implement breath control
* add support soundfont loading from memory (#241)
* add a profiling command interface (#345, thanks to @jjceresa)
* add support on demand sample loading (#366, thanks to @mawe42)
* add reverb and chorus settings (#49)
* allow using the midi router to manipulate midi files when playing
from command line
* `fluid_synth_process()` received a new proper implementation
* `synth.effects-groups` allows to render effects of all MIDI channels
to separate audio channels

### General
* consider channel pressure, key pressure and pitch wheel for lower
attenuation boundary calculation (#163, thanks to @mawe42)
* complete rewrite of the LADSPA subsystem (#227,  #235, thanks to @mawe42)
* complete rewrite of the Soundfont Loader API (#334, #309)
* avoid reverb amplitude growing exponentially (#279, thanks to @jjceresa)
* removed deprecated autotools build system
* a minimal build of fluidsynth without requiring pkg-config is supported
* remove deprecated LADCCA support
* use unique device names for the `audio.portaudio.device` setting
(#284, thanks to @jjceresa)
* documentation of the settings moved to
http://www.fluidsynth.org/api/fluidsettings.xml
* adjust MIDI Pan and Balance calculations as outlined by MIDI
Recommended Practice (RP-036) (#317, thanks to @mawe42)
* make network support compile-time optional (#307, thanks to @carlo-bramini)
* speed up calculation of chorus modulation waveforms for devices
without FPU (#321, thanks to @carlo-bramini)
* cleanup internal audio rendering and mixing engine (#197)
* reduce memory consumption of loaded soundfonts (#370, thanks to @mawe42)

Re: Release Plans

greenfox
Thanks Graham

Very interesting.  It is good to see that Fluidsynth is alive and seems to be progressing strongly.  It will be interesting to see how some of these updates might benefit us in our jOrgan application.

My feedback on these builds you have created is totally positive. I vote for updating the stable version number and look forward to testing a jOrgan 4.0 beta 1.

Kind regards
Rick

On Mon, 23 Jul 2018 at 23:06, Graham Goode <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

[...]

eagles051387
Graham,

Question will you be commiting your changes to the version control repository?

Jonathan Aquilina

On Tue, Jul 24, 2018 at 12:32 AM <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

grahamg
I committed changes today for 3.21 beta3. Once I have OS-X / MacOS builds available and tested I’ll create the 3.22 builds and create the Tag in the repository. Then I can commit the changes in FluidsynthJNI for Fluidsynth v2 and update the builds to jOrgan 4.0.

I suggest that we create a branch called jOrganCompact (or something similar) for the work that you’re considering.

On Jul 24, 2018 at 6:47 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Re: Release Plans / many thanks for all your hard work!

jOrgan - User mailing list
Graham,

Thanks for all your hard work on this.  I've been inactive due to some minor health issues and family turmoil; both now resolve.  I'm hoping to be much more active and helpful in the future, especially with the Raspberry PIs.

Best wishes to all!
/s/Chester
Salt Lake City, UTAH, USA

On Tuesday, July 24, 2018, 11:19:26 AM MDT, Graham Goode <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Brian Sweetnam
I am really excited that both FluidSynth as well as jOrgan are moving forward
again.  There was a long time, that I though that interest in jOrgan was
lost, and that it would die a slow death.

Thank you to all the people putting in the effort to move jOrgan forward
again, it is truly an amazing application.

But not only jOrgan.  On it's own, it is spectacular.  But with all the
add-on pieces, it is even more so.

Re: Release Plans / many thanks for all your hard work!

I have finally managed to resurrect our Mac mini (early 2009) and have OS-X Lion working well on it. I attempted to get El Capitan going but it was just too much! So I’m sticking with what is working.

I hope to get a build of jOrgan 3.21 Beta 3 working on it this week.

Are there any users with later versions of OS-X and macOS who could test builds?

Kind regards,
Graham

Re: Release Plans / many thanks for all your hard work!

grahamg wrote
> Are there any users with later versions of OS-X and macOS who could test
> builds?

Graham,

I can probably help with macOS. I recently learnt that one of my grandsons
has a fairly recent Macbook with the High Sierra OS. We have already made
one attempt to get jOrgan working on it, without success. But I am keen to
try with what you produce.

Re: Release Plans / many thanks for all your hard work!

Brian Sweetnam
Hi Graham,

I can test.  My IMac has the latest OSX installed.

Re: Release Plans / many thanks for all your hard work!

jOrgan - User mailing list
I am running High Sierra on my Mac mini. I would be happy to do some testing.

...matthew...