Recorder Operation.

RoyR
Hi, Everyone,

                     I seem to be missing something (Probably between the ears!) in the jOrgan Recorder function. Starting with no MIDI files available, I click Eject, fill a name in the blank box, and click Choose.

   That all seems OK, the filename appears, the greyed-out Record button changes to its active red color and, when I click it, the progress bar starts moving and the 0000/0000 time display ramps up to, say, 0000/0010. The Record button also changes to a black Stop button. If I click it, the recording stops, the progress bar goes back to the start position and the display goes back to 0000/0000.

   Ejecting again asks if I want to save the performance but doing so seems to result in an empty file. Reloading it into the Recorder doesn't show any content and clicking Play does nothing.

    Could anyone who has used the Record function supply the missing link please?

Re: Recorder Operation.

Aaron Laws
On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:26 AM, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I have used it, but I don't consider myself an expert. When you're done recording, do you see little blue vertical lines (indicating midi activity)? If the recorder isn't hooked up properly (making reference to the correct elements -- especially keyboards), it won't record any midi activity.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 10:43 AM, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:
Thanks, Aaron, I'll check it out, I thought it automagically record ALL MIDI activity. Apparently not!

I think it's a feature that it can leave out some activity. This could be useful, for instance, if you want to try out a recording with various stops and stop changes. If it doesn't record stop changes, you can easily change them during playback. I assume there are other use cases where you might want only the great recorded...perhaps? This way is idiomatic to the modular style of jorgan in general.

Re: Recorder Operation.

RoyR
Hi, Aaron,

               Funny you should say that (!) but that's exactly what I want to do. My playing is a bit erratic, to put it mildly, so I thought it would be good to concentrate on making a MIDI file with all the right notes in place and sort out the registration and, possibly, expression pedal later.

   Thanks again for your interest. A quick trial with the Recorder referenced to all the keyboards didn't change anything. I notice that the top left corner of the Recorder pane has a sign <none>. Does that refer to the elements it's set to record?

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 11:26 AM, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, Aaron,

               Funny you should say that (!) but that's exactly what I want to do. My playing is a bit erratic, to put it mildly, so I thought it would be good to concentrate on making a MIDI file with all the right notes in place and sort out the registration and, possibly, expression pedal later.

   Thanks again for your interest. A quick trial with the Recorder referenced to all the keyboards didn't change anything. I notice that the top left corner of the Recorder pane has a sign <none>. Does that refer to the elements it's set to record?

This is about where my expertise fails. I know what you're talking about. <none> is the element it's set to record. There should be one per keyboard (and maybe one per console, etc.). I had some experience where I couldn't just add the referenced elements, hit record and ready to go. I'm not sure what the best way here is. When I did it, I think I had to recreate the record element, etc.? I'm not sitting with a jorgan instance right now, so I can't experiment for you, but I may be able to check it out for you later today!

Re: Recorder Operation.

RoyR
   Thanks, Aaron, no rush, just a "Wouldn't it be nice if..." sort of thing. I've been using jOrgan for several years now but still have problems with this "Reference to" and "Referenced from" thing!

   It reminds me of a few lines from The Gondoliers...

Which was which he could never make out,

In spite of his best endeavor.

Of that there is no manner of doubt,

No probable, possible shadow of doubt,

No possible doubt whatever.

On Thu, Mar 23, 2017 at 12:43 PM, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:
   Thanks, Aaron, no rush, just a "Wouldn't it be nice if..." sort of thing. I've been using jOrgan for several years now but still have problems with this "Reference to" and "Referenced from" thing!

   It reminds me of a few lines from The Gondoliers...

Which was which he could never make out,

In spite of his best endeavor.

Of that there is no manner of doubt,

No probable, possible shadow of doubt,

No possible doubt whatever.

Alright, it's easy as pie :-)

Select Construct Organ, select your recorder element. In the "References" tab, select "References to Elements". Make sure your keyboards are there. You probably already have a recording started. You need to start a new one (and a new corresponding .mid file) to make the changes take effect. In the "Recorder" tab, select the eject button, type a new file name. Now, all your keyboards should show up in the "Recorder" tab, and when recording, all activity on those keyboards should be recorded.

I assume this won't work, so let me know what actually happens :-)

Re: Recorder Operation.

RoyR
Hi, Aaron,

                It's late, I'm on the wrong computer with no MIDI hardware attached but even so, IT WORKS! I get all the keyboards shown in the recorder, if I play random notes on the virtual keyboard images, they appear as blue lines on the rolling screen and, when I push "Stop" it only goes back to the last point where there was actual input.

   I'll try it on the real system tomorrow but, in the meantime, thanks for your efforts, I'm pretty confident you've pointed me in the right direction here!