Re: [jOrgan_user] More on Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Re: [jOrgan_user] More on Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Nice Pipes
Sheet Music On-Screen When Playing jOrgan

This note follows on from my earlier email “Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages”.

I use Adobe Reader to display sheet music on-screen, while I am playing jOrgan.

The sheet music is scanned, and stored on CD as  .pdf files.

Pages are “turned”, forwards or backwards, using Left/Right Arrows on the computer keyboard.

However, a problem arises if you want to change jOrgan settings (registrations etc) using keyboard shortcuts.

You can only change jOrgan settings with shortcuts when jOrgan is the active screen.

Thus you need to change the active screen from Adobe Reader to jOrgan, which is a Pain!!

In order to make changes in jOrgan while Adobe Reader is the active screen (displaying the sheet music), one must use only midi messages.

To implement this I have:

  1. Set up all jOrgan stops, couplers, swells, variations, buttons etc with activate/de-activate midi messages.
  2. Using MTP (Midi Translator Pro), I have programmed it to translate my computer keyboard key-presses into midi messages. (Remember, MTP can send multiple midi messages from one short-cut key-press.)

I currently use A-Z, Shift A-Z, as jOrgan general presets (combination pistons). This can be extended, using Alt A-Z, Alt+Shift A-Z etc.

Preset Swell Volumes can be set up using 1-0 (Main Swell), Num 1-0 (Solo Swell), giving 10 volume steps for each swell.

Enjoy

Peter Nicholson

Re: [jOrgan_user] More on Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Sounds a little bit complicated but I'm afraid there is not other way.
Regretfully all OS that I know of have a single focused (active) window
only ;).

Sven