Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

12

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

jbeach2646
My organ computer was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 about 3 months ago and I have an issue in jOrgan.  The issue is that, after jOrgan has been used for a few minutes,  all the elements on the console will freeze or lock up until I click the “minimize” and, then, “maximize.”   Doing that, restores the functionality of the elements on the console.  No changes can be made to any element on the console until I click “minimize/maximize.”   The sound output from the stops which are already engaged is not affected.  I can continue to play with no problem.  It is simply that no changes can be made
without doing the “minimize/maximize.”   Any suggestions?   Has anyone else had this problem?

I do not have the problem on my work PC which was also an upgrade, but from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10.

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

allen.biggins
My suggestion is to go back to Win 7 if you can. Win 8.1 isn't much better than Win 10, which is a terrible mess.

Allen
Oz

(A proud Linux Mint 17.1 user)

On 22/10/15 18:37, John Beach wrote:
My organ computer was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 about 3 months ago and I have an issue in jOrgan.  The issue is that, after jOrgan has been used for a few minutes,  all the elements on the console will freeze or lock up until I click the “minimize” and, then, “maximize.”   Doing that, restores the functionality of the elements on the console.  No changes can be made to any element on the console until I click “minimize/maximize.”   The sound output from the stops which are already engaged is not affected.  I can continue to play with no problem.  It is simply that no changes can be made
without doing the “minimize/maximize.”   Any suggestions?   Has anyone else had this problem?

I do not have the problem on my work PC which was also an upgrade, but from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10.

If you have a problem or a question to which you don't know the answer, ask Google!

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

have you tried to reinstall the Java runtime?

Have fun
Sven

On 22.10.2015 09:37, John Beach wrote:
My organ computer was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 about 3 months ago and I have an issue in jOrgan.  The issue is that, after jOrgan has been used for a few minutes,  all the elements on the console will freeze or lock up until I click the “minimize” and, then, “maximize.”   Doing that, restores the functionality of the elements on the console.  No changes can be made to any element on the console until I click “minimize/maximize.”   The sound output from the stops which are already engaged is not affected.  I can continue to play with no problem.  It is simply that no changes can be made
without doing the “minimize/maximize.”   Any suggestions?   Has anyone else had this problem?

I do not have the problem on my work PC which was also an upgrade, but from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10.

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

emmsworth-2

I've experienced the same problem with my studio computer. It seems that Windows 10 looses focus on the window that is being displayed. It Happens with,  whatever monitor I use [I have two connected].

I've gone back to windows 8.1, and have experienced no problems. I don't know what the answer would be. I did wonder if it might be related to the security settings on windows 10. Where it monitors all and sundry - maybe it monitors too much and causes itself problems.

Hope you find an answer. I'm content to stick with win 8.1 for the moment.

Cheers for now
PaulA.....

On Thu, 22 Oct 2015 18:37:11 +1100, John Beach <[hidden email]> wrote:

My organ computer was upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10 about 3 months ago and I have an issue in jOrgan.  The issue is that, after jOrgan has been used for a few minutes,  all the elements on the console will freeze or lock up until I click the “minimize” and, then, “maximize.”   Doing that, restores the functionality of the elements on the console.  No changes can be made to any element on the console until I click “minimize/maximize.”   The sound output from the stops which are already engaged is not affected.  I can continue to play with no problem.  It is simply that no changes can be made
without doing the “minimize/maximize.”   Any suggestions?   Has anyone else had this problem?

I do not have the problem on my work PC which was also an upgrade, but from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10.

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

Might be related:

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/34f39f56-2296-49c1-91f4-db96400b7c71/upgraded-to-windows-81-pro-new-window-is-losing-focus-after-while?forum=w8itprogeneral

Hope this helps
Sven

On 22.10.2015 09:47, Sven Meier wrote:
Hi John,

[...]

RoyR
Hi, Sven,

              Do you still do your own jOrgan development in Linux?

On 22 October 2015 at 10:04, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Java did an automatic update to Java 8 update 65 up from Java 8 update 51.  I will try that on the organ PC as well as the mouse driver as per the problem described and solved at the link you provided.  The guy’s problem at the link was with Windows 8.1.  Mine is with Windows 10, upgraded from 8.1.   jOrgan is usable, it is just a minor inconvenience to have to minimize, then maximize, to reactivate
all the console elements.
Thanks for the advice, Sven.
John

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

Allen and PaulA, thanks for the input.  I do have the option of going back to either Windows 8.1 or Windows 7 since I have both installation disks.  I have never tried a roll-back of an operating system,
just a complete reinstallation.  I’ll see if the Java update or a mouse driver update correct the problem and post the results since it, apparently, is not a unique problem.
John

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

RoyR
Hi, Sven,

              I'm almost entirely on Linux Mint now except, oddly enough, for jOrgan. I haven't found a Linux reverb. to match Creative EAX with a Soundblaster card. I can get the soundcard to give a straightforward output on a Linux jOrgan system, but EAX is Windows only, so far as I know.

   Things like jconv. or jverb look a nightmare to use for full surround sound!

On 23 October 2015 at 12:05, Sven Meier <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I get the Sourceforge.net application information bulletins and one, Equalizer APO (both 64 and 32-bit) with separate GUIs, EQ-APO GUI and PEACE GUI, which must be downloaded separately is a
good Equalizer application that works well with Windows 10.  You can configure multiple soundcard outputs and choose either a 15 or 31-Frequency band, sliders in the application.   Be careful on
the bass end, because it really amplifies the output!  There are links to a Convolver and other sound-related applications.

John Beach

BCA

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

BCA
"I haven't found a Linux reverb. to match Creative EAX with a Soundblaster card"

cheers, Roy.
I'm still running XP with my organ console, since we haven't any native drivers for Win 7 and higher, for my soundblaster Platinum. (I hope nobody comes now with that kX thing.)

I already thought about hiring a programmer for somehow adapting the drivers for higher Windows systems.

@John B.: Dear, Win7 is the last valid Windows. Then came the iPad. MS does only panic-stricken nonsense and optical gizmo since, to get back on the touchpad band wagon. It's kind of grotesque already.

all the best,
BCA

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

RoyR
  Yes, my stuff's on XP-Pro, never really seen any reason to "upgrade" it to something much less stable!

On 23 October 2015 at 16:02, BCA <[hidden email]> wrote:
"I haven't found a Linux reverb. to match Creative EAX with a Soundblaster
card"

cheers, Roy.
I'm still running XP with my organ console, since we haven't any native
drivers for Win 7 and higher, for my soundblaster Platinum. (I hope nobody
comes now with that kX thing.)

I already thought about hiring a programmer for somehow adapting the drivers
for higher Windows systems.

@John B.: Dear, Win7 is the last valid Windows. Then came the iPad. MS does
only panic-stricken nonsense and optical gizmo since, to get back on the
touchpad band wagon. It's kind of grotesque already.

-----
all the best,
BCA

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

jbeach2646 wrote
Equalizer APO (both 64 and 32-bit) with separate GUIs, EQ-APO GUI and PEACE GUI, which must be downloaded separately is a
good Equalizer application that works well with Windows 10.
John,

Do you know if using this equalizer adds significantly to the latency?

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

RoyR wrote
I haven't found a Linux reverb. to match Creative EAX with a
Soundblaster card.
Roy,

The Linux Zita-Rev1 is an excellent reverberation application. It is not a convolver unit.
In my opinion it is superior to the Creative EAX.

Although this may not be of interest to you, Freeverb3 has brought out a Windows version of it (and also a Linux version, if I remember corrctly). It is called Hibiki. I have had great success with it on my console laptop, which runs Windows 8.1.

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

RoyR
Hi, John,

              Thanks, I'll have a look at those when I get through with re laying the garage floor!

On 23 October 2015 at 20:57, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
RoyR wrote
> I haven't found a Linux reverb. to match Creative EAX with a
> Soundblaster card.

Roy,

The Linux Zita-Rev1 is an excellent reverberation application. It is not a
convolver unit.
In my opinion it is superior to the Creative EAX.

Although this may not be of interest to you, Freeverb3 has brought out a
Windows version of it (and also a Linux version, if I remember corrctly). It
is called Hibiki. I have had great success with it on my console laptop,
which runs Windows 8.1.

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

tbeck
Oh no.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Roy Radford <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi, John,

              Thanks, I'll have a look at those when I get through with re laying the garage floor!

On 23 October 2015 at 20:57, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
RoyR wrote
> I haven't found a Linux reverb. to match Creative EAX with a
> Soundblaster card.

Roy,

The Linux Zita-Rev1 is an excellent reverberation application. It is not a
convolver unit.
In my opinion it is superior to the Creative EAX.

Although this may not be of interest to you, Freeverb3 has brought out a
Windows version of it (and also a Linux version, if I remember corrctly). It
is called Hibiki. I have had great success with it on my console laptop,
which runs Windows 8.1.

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

I am not having any trouble with it on the organ PC, although I have
experienced a EQ-APO GUI problem that made me uninstall it from my work PC.

> Equalizer APO (both 64 and 32-bit) with separate GUIs, EQ-APO GUI and
> PEACE GUI, which must be downloaded separately is a
> good Equalizer application that works well with Windows 10.

John,

Do you know if using this equalizer adds significantly to the latency?

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

If the floor is hard enough Roy may not need reverb . . .

On 10/23/2015 09:52 PM, Thomas Beck wrote:

> Oh no.
>
> On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 4:11 PM, Roy Radford <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi, John,
>
>                    Thanks, I'll have a look at those when I get through
>     with re laying the garage floor!
>

>     Have fun,
>
>                  Roy.
>

>     On 23 October 2015 at 20:57, John Reimer <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         RoyR wrote
>          > I haven't found a Linux reverb. to match Creative EAX with a
>          > Soundblaster card.
>
>         Roy,
>
>         The Linux Zita-Rev1 is an excellent reverberation application.
>         It is not a
>         convolver unit.
>         In my opinion it is superior to the Creative EAX.
>
>         Although this may not be of interest to you, Freeverb3 has
>         brought out a
>         Windows version of it (and also a Linux version, if I remember
>         corrctly). It
>         is called Hibiki. I have had great success with it on my console
>         laptop,
>         which runs Windows 8.1.
>
>         John Reimer
>

>         --

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: jOrgan and Windows 10

jbeach2646
Roy, just don't put a rug down!  Absorption by rugs is a major problem in
acoustics.....
John