Re: jOrgan Website

jbeach2646

John R.,  you state, “I plan mainly to guide prospective users to sources of information already in existence.”

First, any prospective users of a virtual organ program are, probably, going to use a search engine to find out what resources are available.   Before you invest or waste any money on a website which
(redundantly) “guides prospective users to sources of information already in existence,” (theoretically, Google does this already)  what advantageous difference, contrasted with search engine-provided results,  would such a website afford prospective users?  Admittedly, the use of jOrgan, for most users, is, like the Hammond as compared to the pipe organ, a matter of personal cost.   More than likely, professionals who are interested
in the ease and cost-effectiveness of virtual organs invest in Hauptwerk.   People like us, who “tinker” seriously with the whole spectrum of sound production, recording or synthesizing organ sounds, organ soundbank/font creation and the creation of organ specifications (dispositions in jOrgan)  are in a realm of our own with respect to the end goal of playing an organ.  The “end goal” is, after all, what it is all about.

Second, what are the “odds” that prospective users, using a search engine, will see your website link before others?

Given the scope of jOrgan, what prospective users should know about it or may want to know about it is found in the tutorials by Bill Skees.  A website that “guides prospective users” to these would be as
helpful as anything I can think of.  Given the declining role and popularity of the organ, especially, in public worship, the notion that “selling a brand” of virtual organ is, somehow, going to make a difference
in practice relative to the changes which contemporary, music culture is bringing to church music is wishful thinking.

While the cost of a pipe organ may have brought about the electronic organ, computer technology brought about the virtual organ.   If mere cost were the only reason for the popularity or proliferation of something,
the purpose for which it is used would cease to be a logical consideration.   This is where the crux of the issue with the organ is.  Starting about 50 years ago, with the popularity of folk music, amateur musicians
wanted to become more involved in the worship music of the church.  As they were allowed to do so, gradually supplanting the organ and piano as the historically-accepted instruments of accompaniment, the entire, church- music culture changed.  Our parents would, literally, “turn over in their graves” if they could hear the raucous sounds of contemporary, worship music which are reminiscent of the rock bands of the 1960s.
The question is whether “reverence” is a cultural relative, or whether “reverence” is a discipline which must be imposed.  Or, perhaps, is “reverence” even relevant?   How clamorous can a “joyful noise” be before it ceases to be “reverent?”  Or, does God even care?

Our personal satisfaction or even enthusiasm for jOrgan is not relative to contemporary music culture.  As with religion or a knowledge of God, seekers are looking for something they need.  People who would be
“prospective users” or virtual organ programs will find the resources through the online search engines.   I am not trying to discourage you, just give my thoughts on why you should save your money!   That said, if
there is a need for collaboration on a jOrgan website, other than those which are already available, I think the tutorials are the “brand tools” that will be most informative to “would-be users.”
Links to downloads of dispositions from the main jOrgan website provide choices for users to consider and try.

John Beach

Having released what will be my last jOrgan VPO for quite some time, I want
now to do something about increasing jOrgan’s presence on the Internet, in
the hope that this may help to make jOrgan better known, and may encourage
more organ-lovers to discover its many outstanding features for themselves.
My plan is to set up a website, which will entail some ongoing cost for me
personally.  Although I already have a small and amateurish website which
does not involve cost, inasmuch as my ISP provides a limited space of 200 MB
to host it, I think that a new separate website is called for, which would
include “jorgan” in its domain name.

The proposed website would be rather limited in its content. I plan mainly
to guide prospective users to sources of information already in existence,
basically by providing the appropriate web links along with helpful
comments. So I shall be trying to make it easier for people to start using
jOrgan and to develop their use beyond the bare essentials, should they wish
to do that. There would be a “Gallery” to show the appearance of some
existing jOrgan installations, and also to include some audio files. There
would also be a FAQ section. But I do not envisage the hosting of a forum of
any sort. However, I plan to use the website to host the jOrgan Wiki (Bernd
has agreed to this), so that its data can be added to, when desired.

I would appreciate your comments and ideas.

Specifically, because I have only very limited ability when it comes to
constructing web pages, I have taken preliminary steps to make use of
Website Builders and its hosting provisions and other resources. Please
advise me, either in a reply post or in a personal message, whether or not
you think this is a good idea to commit to one of their hosting plans etc.