Re: USB 2.0 MIDI Cables

jbeach2646
Recently, I took a calculated risk and purchased, new, on eBay, two cheap USB 2.0 MIDI cables.  The reviews for them by previous purchasers were mixed, from acceptable to lousy.  (My advice to jOrgan users would be to save the headaches and go with a reputable company like Yamaha for a USB MIDI cable.  I have a $40 Yamaha USB-MIDI cable which works flawlessly)  Anyway, in Device Manager, the installed USB 2.0 MIDI cable is shown under “Sound, Video and Game Controllers” and under “Properties,” General-tab, the Manufacturer is merely identified as “Generic USB Audio,” Driver-tab, the driver is identified as USB 2.0 MIDI, provided by Microsoft and the date is 7/27/2017 with the driver version 10.0.15063.502.  The fact is that this is the same identification as the Window 10 (operating system), build 15063, that is found in System Information under Accessories in the Start Menu.  the .502 portion refers to the updates to the Windows 10 OS and build 15063.

In the “Events” tab of Properties, under Events, Timestamp= 12/08/2017, Description=”Device Install Requested”, in the “Information” box at the bottom for that Event Timestamp Description, the following
is given:    “Device USB\VID_1A86&PID_752D&MI_00\7&198b7f48&0&0000 requires further installation.”

Whether this is significant, I don’t know.  The WDMs for the device are shown as installed.  What I experienced, in attempting to use one of these cables with my organ was a prolonged sustaining of notes played and an apparent lack of the sending of MIDI Note-Off messages.  In other words, it was totally unsatisfactory, unusable.   I am assuming the problem is an hardware-quality problem, not something
that would be remedied if there were, in fact, an OEM Windows driver model to be found from a manufacturer website, if such a manufacturer were identified as other than “Generic USB Audio.”

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: USB 2.0 MIDI Cables

jOrgan - User mailing list

My experience is the same.  I was hoping that in identifying a chip manufacture that I could find a driver… but I didn’t have any luck.  I purchased the tried and true mAudio interfaces.

Cheers

Marc-Paul