Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

jbeach2646
I have acquired a touchscreen monitor (22” diagonal) for an organ with MIDI in a church (not a church organ)  which has a computer with jOrgan and dispositions.  Ideally, relevant to the position of the organ, the only feasible position for the monitor is on the right side of the console in line with the right side, with the monitor facing the side of the organist on the bench.   There is not enough space to place the monitor on the top of the organ next to the music stand.  So, I am going to build a simple, board support-stand for the monitor, hinged above the monitor support-plate,  having the capability to tilt about 20 degrees, for ease of “touch.”  Given the situation, this is the best that can be done which will allow the organist access, view,  and be esthetically pleasing to congregational viewers.  While not ideal, it is probably not anymore inconvenient than lateral, stop jambs which require judicious choice of hand movements when playing.  Congregational singing in the modern (even Baptist) church rarely requires frequent stop-changes mid-play of a hymn or chorus.  Needless to say, concerts and recitals are not a consideration.  The installation will merely be an improvement over the factory sounds of the aging, $40,000 toy which should never have been accepted in a church.  Sometimes, a “gift horse” should be “looked in the mouth.”

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

Pete Theisen
If it has MIDI it was worth accepting, though. :-)

On 01/31/2018 05:31 AM, John Beach wrote:
[...]

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

drwilx
Hi John, I use 2 monitors to which I added touch screen glass in front. (took
monitors apart to do this). They are mounted on screw on poles at the back
of the console. They are adjustable as to vertical, horizontal and tilt and
can be moved forward and back. There is a picture of the console on our
Facebook page. I purchased the poles on Amazon and can look up the part
number if you have an interest.

Regards,
Dennis

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

drwilx
Hi John, A better picture is here
https://www.dropbox.com/s/gf5y7p8l9fgjlz8/17201292_1352269598145871_2160121590708141893_n.jpg?dl=0

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

jbeach2646
Dennis,  thanks for the information and the link to the picture.  That is a
nice set-up.  I assume the console is custom-made to your specifications.
The one redeeming factor to the organ to which I am
adding jOrgan capability is the MIDI capability, as Pete noted.   I had a
"brain-storm" today and took a 40" stopped flute pipe from a rank I had made
about 18 years ago and never finished.  I made a
base for it and will use it for a stand for the touchscreen monitor, a
novelty, for sure!   The organ is an MX-2 Lowery and, with the exception of
the flute stops, all the Genius/Orch/Orch Plus sections
do not function and that module has been removed.   Since it is about 28
years old, parts are no longer available for it, so scavenging is the only
means of replacement.  So far, none has become available.

If I get it all set up in time, I may test it out before the weekend.

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

drwilx
Hi John,
Good luck on the Lowery. I think it will sound way better once the midi
conversion is complete. My console is indeed custom made to my
specifications. It was built in my basement shop. The monitor arms really
work great - I am very pleased with them.

Regards,

Dennis

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

Brian Sweetnam
I have two touch screens, mounted to the left and to the right of my midified
and modified Hammond E100 console  I have mounted both screens on
commercially available wall mounting brackets for monitors, so the monitors
can tilt up & down, they can flip left and right, and they can be moved
around on the mounting arms.  I used some cable ties to secure the video,
power, and USB cables of each monitor, for sake of keeping it tidy. It works
like a charm.

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

drwilx
Seems the link has gone bad. Here are the current ones:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/28ql12nu9y0f4da/Organ1op.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8m4xtx9cyh1mmu/Organ2op.jpg?dl=0

Regards,

Dennis

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

jOrgan - User mailing list
Love it!

Would you remind me what keyboards you are using... Thanks
Cheers
Marc-Paul

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

jbeach2646
Marc, looking back through Brian's posts on the nabble forum where he gives
info concerning his Hammond E-100, he never does say what keyboards he used
to replace the original manuals
of the E-100.

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

jOrgan - User mailing list
Thanks John...
             ...I kept looking at that picture... and I just thought they
did not look like Hammond keyboards.
Cheers
Marc-Paul

Re: Touchscreen monitor placement

jOrgan - User mailing list
That is some setup, Dennis.

I especially like the separate screen graphix right and left - so real! Bach and Handel could look on your setup with true envy. What joy Robert Hope-Jones would have there.

Part of the magnificence of jOrgan is the awesome sound we can produce in our own space. Most of us have neither the room to install the sizeable pipe organs with pipechests and blowers and Montre pipes or shuttered chambers in spacious rooms.

When could we take time to design and build such organs . . . let alone upgrade new pipes and chests . . . let alone keep such instruments in tune . . . let alone adjust the overall sound to accommodate the size of our ambient space . . . with especially constructed speakers and amps without the means to create consoles to perform upon.

Now, with jOrgan and the miracle of MIDI we can add completely new ranks (soundfonts), make changes of stops or rearrange tablets and create touchscreen designs to access them without tearing the consoles apart.

You have done magnificently.

pk

<snip>