Re: Polyphone website

jbeach2646
I tried to access the www.polyphone.fr website without any success.  There are links to download on sourceforge, but I had a question regarding the bulk tuning of samples and thought
that the tutorials on the website would answer my question.   Does anyone know is the site is down permanently?

Thanks.

Re: Polyphone website

jbeach2646
The URL for Polyphone, given below, works.

Re: Polyphone website

Brian Sweetnam
Thank goodness.  I think it must have changed during this last week, as I
received some notification mail of a website upgrade from Polyphone, with a
new feature where you can upload your private soundfonts to.

Re: Polyphone website

Chris P
There is a website called The Wayback Machine, https://archive.org/web/ which
caches web sites at various points in time, which Paul pointed out years
ago. Whenever I can remember I use the function on this site to cache some
of the sites I use for jOrgan for future use, should these sites go down or
be dis-continued.
I have just now cached the Polyphone web site, go to
https://web.archive.org/web/20171022051615/http://polyphone-soundfonts.com:80/en/

Regards
Chris P

-----
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Polyphone website

Brian Sweetnam
I'm not sure I remember correctly, but was or is the creator of Polyphone not
also a member of this forum?

Re: Polyphone website

jbeach2646
Brian, I know that Dave Tripponey is the creator of Polyphone and I know
that he monitors the forum's posts, but am not sure if he is a member of the
jOrgan forum or not.
I had a problem with tuning of my soundfonts which were about 20 cents out
of tune with standard, concert pitch A=440.  It was just enough to be
unacceptable to accompaniment
with other instruments in a group.  I have adjusted all of them, but was
curious about the Sample Tuning in Polyphone with respect to analysis of
actual pitch of a sample and the
root key and cents adjustment relative to actual frequency of sample.  If
one highlights all samples and clicks on "root key," Polyphone does a rapid
analysis of all samples giving the
root key of each sample, that is, the actual frequency of the sample as a
Midi Note Number,  and, in the "cents" counter, indicates, presumably, how
many cents, plus or minus, of the actual frequency of the root key, the
sample is out of absolute or perfect pitch for that frequency.
The "root key" in Samples differs, conceptually, from the "root key" in the
Instrument Pool, Parameters window where that setting is used to establish
the specific
note on the compass of the keyboard for which the sample is being used.
This latter can be the same pitch as that of the sample, individually,  or
the specification of offset/transposition for the pitches of a different
footage of organ stop, globally.
Since I use Audacity to generate sine wave tones for a jOrgan Additive
Synthesizer disposition which I made, I assumed that the frequencies were
absolute and the final results were, essentially, in perfect tuning.  An
electronic, chromatic tuner shows that I am flat by a significant amount in
cents and that that is why it is objectionable in accompaniment with other
instruments which are
tuned to Middle C of a MIDI digital piano.  The standard frequencies for C
notes are exact multiples of C=32 Hertz, 64,128,256,512,1024, etc.  In MIDI,
the principle is the same, however, there are several cents difference,
Middle C is 261.x, 523, 1046.3, 2093, etc.   Apparently, the iotas of
difference in pitches in additive synthesis  have produced cumulative
discrepancies which are
not perfectly tuned.  So, in the soundfonts, I have adjusted them all,
Tuning Cents +20.   It is easier than re-doing all the samples.