Re: Midi-Ox

greenfox
Hello Guy

A couple of thought from me if you are still working on this?

This document I wrote a number of years ago may be of assistance    http://tcptechnology.com.au/vtpo/docs/Simple_MIDI_for_Virtual_Organ.pdf

As John has said, 176 is Midi Channel 1 Controller message.
Also as John said, you need to be looking at MIDI "IN".
MIDI messages "OUT" of your pedal-board are coming "IN" to jOrgan to trigger activity.

This message would most likely be associated to a Swell or Crescendo pedal - analog signal.
This type of message can be adapted to perform other functions, but would most likely be Swell or volume change.

Be careful using the inbuilt MIDI monitor in jOrgan. All the readings you see in it need to be offset by 1 if you are using the values to enter MIDI codes into your disposition.
MidiOx is the better way to look at the MIDI codes. What you see in MidiOx can be used exactly as you see it in jOrgan disposition settings.

On Wed, 6 Sep 2017 at 12:41 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guy,

As I said in my previous post, the Pedals MIDI encoder generates the MIDI
codes for you, and you can examine them with the Input Monitor. I can’t
think of any good reason why you should be looking at the Output Monitor.

Are you following my instructions in my post to the Forum on August 11th?

Re: Midi-Ox

Guy McBride

My pistons are not wired up yet.  By studying Midi codes generated by Jorgan when I press a piston button, I thought I would be able to figure out the proper Midi code.  Using Stratman organs.  That is why I'm looking at midi out on the Monitor option.

Re: Midi-Ox

greenfox
The MIDI out messages from jOrgan have no relationship to input messages. They can be set completely independently. To my knowledge very few people use output messages for any reason and therefore they are unlikely to be configured or if they are may be for some other reason.

Is jOrgan the only organ software you intend to use?
If you want to use other software it would be best to check if they need specific messages.

jOrgan can detect any message and allocate it to trigger a specific piston.
It could be a note on/off message  (on a different channel to your keyboards, or outside the normal note range)
Or it could be a Program Change message.
Or anything else that my be easy with your hardware.

The first place to look is the second page of Customize. If there are symbols beside the piston entry then MIDI input has been set up. You can simply use the detect function to "set" each piston by pressing your button and having jOrgan detect the message.

If not you will need to configure Activate / Deactivate messages for each piston in construct mode before detecting.

Hopefully this is helpful. Please let us know how you are going and if you have further questions.

On 8 Sep 2017 3:36 am, "guy mcbride" <[hidden email]> wrote:

My pistons are not wired up yet.  By studying Midi codes generated by Jorgan when I press a piston button, I thought I would be able to figure out the proper Midi code.  Using Stratman organs.  That is why I'm looking at midi out on the Monitor option.

Re: Midi-Ox

Guy McBride

This great info.  This is the 1st helpful info I've received from nabble.  Is there any formal documentation on this feature?

Re: Midi-Ox

Guy McBride wrote
> This is the 1st helpful info I've received from nabble.  Is there any
> formal documentation on this feature?

Guy,

What RIck has told you in his post is similar, I believe, to what I told you
in the NABBLE post on August 11th.    ;-)
The lack of formal documentation in jOrgan means that you can have fun
discovering things by trial and error. jOrgan certainly doesn't spoon-feed
people.

Re: Midi-Ox

greenfox
Page 9 & 10 of this document  http://tcptechnology.com.au/vtpo/docs/Christie01_user_notes_091006.pdf  cover aspects about this function.

This document is old now and I wrote it for the "Christie" disposition, but the functions described are the same for any jOrgan disposition.

On Fri, 8 Sep 2017 at 11:27 John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Guy McBride wrote
> This is the 1st helpful info I've received from nabble.  Is there any
> formal documentation on this feature?

Guy,

What RIck has told you in his post is similar, I believe, to what I told you
in the NABBLE post on August 11th.    ;-)
The lack of formal documentation in jOrgan means that you can have fun
discovering things by trial and error. jOrgan certainly doesn't spoon-feed
people.

Re: Midi-Ox

Guy McBride wrote
> Is there any formal documentation on this feature?

Guy,

I admit that the documentation for jOrgan could be improved. But it does
exist. If you go to the jOrgan Wiki at this link:
http://jorgan-home.de/mediawiki_en/index.php?title=Home

you will find it.

Specifically, go to the “Tutorials” page, and click on the following:
Bruce Miles’ Instructions
Bruce Miles’ jOrgan Notes
An USB setup example scheme, by BCA.

I warn you that all the above is very detailed, and most of it applies only
if you are trying to create a new jOrgan disposition for yourself.

Also, I have written a long INSTRUCTIONS file which I include along with all
my jOrgan dispositions. It is meant for people new to jOrgan, and is
probably a good place to start, along with what Rick has suggested above.
Here is a link to my latest. It is intended for the KOGARAH TWO disposition,
but the main material there applies to all jOrgan dispositions:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nzlsfc7clbgb3og/INSTRUCTIONS.pdf?dl=0

If you are connecting an existing organ console to a computer in which
jOrgan has been installed, you need a “MIDI encoder” to respond to what you
press on the console. It generates MIDI messages which have to be sent to
the computer. Normally you need a MIDI-to-USB cable or some other device
which converts those messages to a form suitable for the USB ports on your
computer. (The jOrgan Customizer is used when first linking up a console to
a new disposition you want to use. To access it, click on File and then on
Customizer). Some organ keyboards already provide a suitable USB output, and
for them it may be thatall you need is a suitable USB cable. However,
clearly in your case the pedals need a MIDI encoder to be installed. My
apologies for this paragraph if you already know all this.

Re: Midi-Ox

BrianS
test forum - please ignore.

Re: Midi-Ox