Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Nice Pipes
I have just started to evaluate a nice little piece of software , called Midi Translator Pro (MTP), which translates computer keyboard keypresses into midi messages, and much more.
It is still in the Beta stage, and is written by Florian Bomers of Munich.

Check it out at http://www.bome.com

The programme connects to jOrgan via Hubis or Midi Yoke.

The following was extracted from Midi Translator Pro 1.50 Beta 3 readme.txt.
Copyright 1998-2006 by bome.com/Florian Bomers.

MIDI TRANSLATOR PRO (MTP)

Midi Translator Pro translates midi messages and keystrokes "on the fly". Currently the following algorithms are supported:

INCOMING ACTIONS
    Keystrokes
    Midi Messages
    Internal Timer

PROCESSING ("Rules")
    Simple Expressions
    If....Then Statements

OUTGOING MESSAGES
    Keystrokes
    Midi Messages
    Create/Start/Stop Timer
    Change Preset

You can combine these actions according to your definitions--the "Translators".
Then you can create entire Sets of Translators ("Presets") to completely control your software with midi devices, and vice versa.
End of Extract.

As an example I have set up a single keyboard shortcut into jOrgan (Wurlitzer disposition) where, via midi messages generated by MTP,  the shortcut:
    1. Activates a General Piston in jOrgan
    2. Sets Main Swell to volume =64
    3. Sets Solo Swell to volume=72

As an alternative, MTP also allows the keypress to be transmitted as well as midi messages.
Then the General Piston can be activated by the shortcut, and the Swells by midi messages.
Does this solve your problem Roy?

A further thought Roy, is this.
Would you find it useful to have shortcut Swell Presets?
For example, the top row numbers 1...0 could provide 10 preset volumes for the Main Swell, and NumPad 1...0 could provide 10 preset volumes for the Solo Swell.

John, does your Rodgers respond to midi messages?
If so, MTP can send one set of midi messages (or shortcuts) to jOrgan, and another set of midi messages to the Rodgers. (MTP can send multiple midi messages from one shortcut keypress).

Overall, MTP looks to be a very smart package, and one which many of us will find useful.
I look forward to hearing from jOrgan friends who may explore MTP's facilities.

Peter Nicholson

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

RoyR
Hi, Peter,

             Thanks for the info.

  Isn't most of this similar to midiox? At present I'm using an old computer running midiox to encode DIY pedals built around the PCB from a computer keyboard. Clumsy, but it works, and it will do until I get round to programming a PICS micro to do the job!

   One thing midiox mapping doesn't seem to allow is changing a 'note' message to a 'control' one, so I can't use the same system for pedals and pistons!

Peter Nicholson <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

jbird604
Peter,

MTP looks like a very cool tool. At this stage of my project, I'm still dealing with various hardware issues, wiring, etc. But I can see the value of this in the future. In fact, I can see ways in which this could dove-tail nicely with my current project involving the innards of an old computer keyboard . . .

No, the old Rodgers that serves as a base for my church organ project is just a plain old --  VERY old -- analog console. The MIDI system is a home-made setup that just encodes the keys of one of the 3 manuals. I have a touch-screen monitor beside the console so I can reach over there and select my jOrgan stops. I also bought a neat little USB 10-key pad that I place right next to the organ keys, and set up shortcuts so that my presets are selectable from this little pad.

One thing I've discovered in trying to connect my Rodgers pistons to the computer -- computer keyboards are very simple and cheaply made, at least the one I tore into.  Nothing in there except a small pc board with a couple of chips on it. There are are single row of 26 connectors on that board, connected to conductive strips that fan out across the 3-layer mylar pad that underlies the actual keys. Apparently the strips criss-cross under the keys and pressure from a key causes them to short at that particular point, telling the computer that a particular key is pressed.

My plan is to use my opto-isolator chips to "fire" a given matrix point. I suppose this project could be called a poor man's stop switch/piston encoder. I know this could be done with MIDI, but right now I'm waiting until I can afford a four-division encoder and MIDI-fy the whole organ at once. Since Sven has built into jOrgan this keyboard shortcut capability, this is one way to take advantage of it.

John

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Bruce Miles-3
Roy,

You said-
  One thing midiox mapping doesn't seem to allow is changing a 'note'
message to a 'control' one, so I can't use the same system for pedals
and pistons!

I don't think this is so. The Midiox Data Mapping facility (not Patch
Mapping) allows you to detect any type of Midi message and pass it on as
as any other type of message. They are all Midi messages - it's only a
question of changing the numbers although the Midiox data mapping window
simplifies this a lot by describing the message types in and out in
words rather than numbers.

I tried MTP years and years ago but it was such a pain to set up I gave
it up. Perhaps it's improved since then.

HTH

  Bruce

Roy Radford wrote:

> [...]
>     preset volumes for the Solo Swell.
>
>     John, does your Rodgers respond to midi messages?
>     If so, MTP can send one set of midi messages (or shortcuts) to
>     jOrgan, and another set of midi messages to the Rodgers. (MTP can
>     send multiple midi messages from one shortcut keypress).
>
>     Overall, MTP looks to be a very smart package, and one which many
>     of us will find useful.
>     I look forward to hearing from jOrgan friends who may explore
>     MTP's facilities.
>
>     Peter Nicholson

> What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of
> your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship
> <http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/championships/quiz/*http://uk.rd.yahoo.com/evt=44106/*http://mail.yahoo.net/uk/>.

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Hi again, Peter,

                      I have just been re-reading your last post. Sorry, I wasn't very 'with it' first time round, and think I missed the main point. As you say, MTP can send multiple messages from a single keystroke. Setting both piston and swells with one stroke would be exactly what I need when/if I get my system running again after a very comprehensive crash!

     Thanks again for the info.

[...]

All New Yahoo! Mail – Tired of unwanted email come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you.

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Hi, Bruce,

             Thanks for your reply. I'll have a closer look at midiox when I recover from the 'blue screen of death' I had recently!

Bruce Miles <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roy,

You said-

Roy Radford wrote:

> [...]
> For example, the top row numbers 1...0 could provide 10 preset
> volumes for the Main Swell, and NumPad 1...0 could provide 10
> preset volumes for the Solo Swell.
>
> John, does your Rodgers respond to midi messages?
> If so, MTP can send one set of midi messages (or shortcuts) to
> jOrgan, and another set of midi messages to the Rodgers. (MTP can
> send multiple midi messages from one shortcut keypress).
>
> Overall, MTP looks to be a very smart package, and one which many
> of us will find useful.
> I look forward to hearing from jOrgan friends who may explore
> MTP's facilities.
>
> Peter Nicholson

> What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of
> your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship
> .

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Graham Harrison
Roy

You mention a very comprehensive crash -
                      I have just been re-reading your last post. Sorry, I wasn't very 'with it' first time round, and think I missed the main point. As you say, MTP can send multiple messages from a single keystroke. Setting both piston and swells with one stroke would be exactly what I need when/if I get my system running again after a very comprehensive crash!

     Thanks again for the info.

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

RoyR
Hi, Graham,

                 Thanks for the tip. Come to think of it, I probably did have quite large (~90MB) soundfonts loaded in both systems at the time.

Graham Harrison <[hidden email]> wrote:
Roy

You mention a very comprehensive crash -
                      I have just been re-reading your last post. Sorry, I wasn't very 'with it' first time round, and think I missed the main point. As you say, MTP can send multiple messages from a single keystroke. Setting both piston and swells with one stroke would be exactly what I need when/if I get my system running again after a very comprehensive crash!

     Thanks again for the info.

Yahoo! Photos – NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 7p a photo.

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Hi, Bruce,

              Now I'm up and running again, I've had another look at midiox. You're quite correct, I had only checked out 'patch mapping'. As you said, 'data mapping' allows a full range of options, including mapping some of the 'out of pedal range' note-on messages to 'cntrl'.

     Now I can use the small computer which encodes my pedal board to encode a few pistons too.

     Thanks for putting me straight on that one!

Roy Radford wrote:

> [...]
> For example, the top row numbers 1...0 could provide 10 preset
> volumes for the Main Swell, and NumPad 1...0 could provide 10
> preset volumes for the Solo Swell.
>
> John, does your Rodgers respond to midi messages?
> If so, MTP can send one set of midi messages (or shortcuts) to
> jOrgan, and another set of midi messages to the Rodgers. (MTP can
> send multiple midi messages from one shortcut keypress).
>
> Overall, MTP looks to be a very smart package, and one which many
> of us will find useful.
> I look forward to hearing from jOrgan friends who may explore
> MTP's facilities.
>
> Peter Nicholson

> What kind of emailer are you? Find out today - get a free analysis of
> your email personality. Take the quiz at the Yahoo! Mail Championship
> .

Re: Keyboard Shortcuts and Midi Messages

Hi, John,

             "A couple of chips'... Sounds complicated... The one I took to bits only had ONE!

  The plug in bit had graphite lugs, but I found you could (Carefully!) scrape that away and solder wires to the contacts... All a bit 'Heath Robinson', but it encodes my DIY pedal board, built around 13 reed switches, OK, and I may try to add a few pistons.

    Meanwhile, back in the real world, I'm trying to resurrect my old PICS development system to make a bit more sensible MIDI encoder than occupying a whole computer to do the job!