Re: Audacity Wave Editor

jbeach2646
For several months, I have had a problem with Audacity Wave Editor (both 2.1 and 2.2 versions).  On doing a clean install of the program, Audacity will change the .wav file icon to the proprietary Audacity
icon for all wave files, then, if I attempt to “Open” of “Import” a .wav file, Audacity informs me that I do not have permission to open the file.  I have checked the Properties/General, Sharing, Security
for both folders of wave files and .wav files themselves and the System and User permissions (Allow) are all checked.  Every other .wav file player (Media Player, Creative Media Source Player, Polyphone, etc.) has no problem with permissions on either the folder of the files.
Audacity still insists that I do not have permission to open .wav files.  Has anyone else experienced this problem?  I am using Windows 10 64-bit, build 16299.    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Audacity Wave Editor

jOrgan - User mailing list

Hi John…

              …two questions.  1) Was the Win10 install an upgrade from a previous OS.  2) Is there any abnormally higher CPU usage when you try to open the .wav file.

The reason I ask is that there is a known bug in extracting meta data from a wav file in explorer.

I have had a similar problem with Sound Forge Professional.

Thanks

Marc-Paul

Re: Audacity Wave Editor

jbeach2646

Hi John…

              …two questions.  1) Was the Win10 install an upgrade from a previous OS.  2) Is there any abnormally higher CPU usage when you try to open the .wav file.

The reason I ask is that there is a known bug in extracting meta data from a wav file in explorer.

I have had a similar problem with Sound Forge Professional.

Thanks

Marc-Paul

Marc-Paul,  yes, the Win 10 install was an upgrade from Windows 8.  With regard to question 2, I don’t really have any way of knowing

whether there is abnormally higher CPU usage because Audacity immediately informs me that I do not have permission to open

files which, on installing Audacity, the program changes all the .wav file icons from the default windows icon to the Audacity icon.

Then, it refuses to open them.  I can record wave files using Audacity, but then it will not open the same files that it has just produced.

Strange behavior!

Re: Audacity Wave Editor

jbeach2646 wrote
> Audacity informs me that I do not have permission to open the file.

JohnB,

Can you tell us the path details for the folder where those .wav files are
located?

Re: Audacity Wave Editor

jbeach2646
John R. ,  the path details are the Desktop or a folder on the desktop.  I
have always done it the same way and never had any problems.  On installing
Audacity, one is given the option to check "Restore
preferences."   I have checked this option, having done successive
un-installations  and re-installations of the Audacity program, to see if
any difference was achieved.  It did not help.  I only have a
problem with Audacity.
I will download Creative Wave Studio and see if that has a problem with wave
file permissions also.

Thanks.

Re: Audacity Wave Editor

jOrgan - User mailing list

I installed Audacity on a Win10Pro64bit machine with no problems.  This computer also has Sound Forge Pro 11 on it.  I can not re-create the problem you are having.

The interesting thing you mentioned is that the icons changed… which indicates a file association problem.  Have you checked “Control Panel/Default Programs/Associate File Type or Protocol with application”  to see if there is a mix up or duplicate entry?

Cheers

Marc-Paul

Re: Audacity Wave Editor

jbeach2646

Marc-Paul said: “I installed Audacity on a Win 10 Pro 64-bit machine with no problems.  This computer also has Sound Forge Pro 11 on it.  I can not re-create the problem you are having.

The interesting thing you mentioned is that the icons changed… which indicates a file association problem.  Have you checked “Control Panel/Default Programs/Associate File Type or Protocol with application”  to see if there is a mix up or duplicate entry?

Cheers

Marc-Paul””

Audacity shows the following messages when I try to open any .wav file (all these files have the association made to Audacity and Audacity has replaced the

Windows (Groove Music) Icon with the Audacity Icon when and because I make the association between Audacity as the default opener application for wave files) :

“Error Opening File

Could not open file C:\Users\John Beach\Desktop\Aeoline.wav”

On clicking the “OK” to close the pop-up window, another pop-window opens with the message:

“Error Opening File or Project

File may be invalid or corrupted:  C:\Users\John Beach\Desktop\Aeoline.wav”

The file is NOT corrupted because both Media Player and Groove Music will play the file, and Polyphone will import the file as a sample and it is perfectly usable.

The problem is that I can not open or re-edit a file after it has been recorded by Audacity, edited, and then saved to a folder or the desktop.   Previously, I have ALWAYS been able to do so.