Quantcast

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

BrianS
I have jOrgan running on Raspberry Pi 3 model B, thanks to Ray on this forum. All dispositions that I have tried have worked so far.

One think I have noticed, is that the onboard audio is mostly satisfactory, but there is a 'hiss' when the note ends.

O overcome this problem I have tested the disposition with a USB audio card, which cost the equivalent of $6.68. The improvement in audio quality is remarkable.  And the USB audio card is picked up and installed automatically by Raspbian, so there is nothing to do there, it happens 'behind the scenes' for you.

My nest step is to decide on a disposition (3 actually) and spread it over 2 Raspberry's, as I will be using 3 of them in the console.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Pete Theisen
Before you got the $6.68 sound card, did you have Alsa running? If you
did, did you try Lynn Wall's instruction to turn off Automatic Gain Control?

Just wondering . . .

On 02/25/2017 08:06 AM, BrianS wrote:

> I have jOrgan running on Raspberry Pi 3 model B, thanks to Ray on this forum.
> All dispositions that I have tried have worked so far.
>
> One think I have noticed, is that the onboard audio is mostly satisfactory,
> but there is a 'hiss' when the note ends.
>
> O overcome this problem I have tested the disposition with a USB audio card,
> which cost the equivalent of $6.68. The improvement in audio quality is
> remarkable.  And the USB audio card is picked up and installed automatically
> by Raspbian, so there is nothing to do there, it happens 'behind the scenes'
> for you.
>
> My nest step is to decide on a disposition (3 actually) and spread it over 2
> Raspberry's, as I will be using 3 of them in the console.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

3 Pis. How will the functions be divided? How will the pistons and
crescendo pedal work over all three?

On 02/25/2017 08:06 AM, BrianS wrote:

> I have jOrgan running on Raspberry Pi 3 model B, thanks to Ray on this forum.
> All dispositions that I have tried have worked so far.
>
> One think I have noticed, is that the onboard audio is mostly satisfactory,
> but there is a 'hiss' when the note ends.
>
> O overcome this problem I have tested the disposition with a USB audio card,
> which cost the equivalent of $6.68. The improvement in audio quality is
> remarkable.  And the USB audio card is picked up and installed automatically
> by Raspbian, so there is nothing to do there, it happens 'behind the scenes'
> for you.
>
> My nest step is to decide on a disposition (3 actually) and spread it over 2
> Raspberry's, as I will be using 3 of them in the console.
>
> Regards,
>
> Brian.
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> BrianS

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Pete,

Alsa is running, otherwise there would have been no sound.

I did try those instrutions, but they only bring up a single volume slider and not like in his instructions.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

BrianS
If you use 3 Pi's, I think it could be setup as follows (I've not done this yet, but I'm pretty confident it will work though)

1. On 'main' Raspberry Pi (the one with the touch screen) you run the disposition with some of the ranks loaded and operational on this said Pi - for example the Great division. You also connect your midi encoder and console to this Pi.  So all stops on this division go to the soundfont on this Pi.

The swell disivion can run on the 2'nd Pi.  So when you select any stops on the primary Pi's screen, instead of going to the soundfont, the messages use the LAN extension, and are sent via the network to the 2'nd Pi.  Here they are intercepted by jOrgan, and the messages are routed to the soundfont via jOrgan on this 2'nd Pi.

The Pedal division is simmilar to the Swell, but instead the messages get sent to the 3'rd Pi, and handled in simmilar way as above.

I think if this is running correctly, then the crescendo will work as you expect it to work, as messages will be sent to the correct raspberry Pi without further intervension.

Anybody please add to this description, as I might understand something wrong and give an incorrect explanation.

So far, I have 2 Pi's for my next project.  I intend to use at least 3, and possibly 4.  My main console is running multi-channel audio, with 10 channels of audio, and it does sound spectacular.  My intention is to build a smaller console, with at least 6 or 8 channels.  I do not want any external speaker this time, it really is a to big as my current console has to giant towers speakers, each with 4 channels inside, plus subwoofers.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Pete Theisen
My thoughts would be to use one Pi as a relay and the other two as boxes
of ranks. I would use a second screen to accommodate more stop controls.
I don't see a two screen facility so perhaps each screen would have to
have its own pi.

On 02/26/2017 12:09 AM, BrianS wrote:

> If you use 3 Pi's, I think it could be setup as follows (I've not done this
> yet, but I'm pretty confident it will work though)
>
> 1. On 'main' Raspberry Pi (the one with the touch screen) you run the
> disposition with some of the ranks loaded and operational on this said Pi -
> for example the Great division. You also connect your midi encoder and
> console to this Pi.  So all stops on this division go to the soundfont on
> this Pi.
>
> The swell disivion can run on the 2'nd Pi.  So when you select any stops on
> the primary Pi's screen, instead of going to the soundfont, the messages use
> the LAN extension, and are sent via the network to the 2'nd Pi.  Here they
> are intercepted by jOrgan, and the messages are routed to the soundfont via
> jOrgan on this 2'nd Pi.
>
> The Pedal division is simmilar to the Swell, but instead the messages get
> sent to the 3'rd Pi, and handled in simmilar way as above.
>
> I think if this is running correctly, then the crescendo will work as you
> expect it to work, as messages will be sent to the correct raspberry Pi
> without further intervension.
>
> Anybody please add to this description, as I might understand something
> wrong and give an incorrect explanation.
>
> So far, I have 2 Pi's for my next project.  I intend to use at least 3, and
> possibly 4.  My main console is running multi-channel audio, with 10
> channels of audio, and it does sound spectacular.  My intention is to build
> a smaller console, with at least 6 or 8 channels.  I do not want any
> external speaker this time, it really is a to big as my current console has
> to giant towers speakers, each with 4 channels inside, plus subwoofers.
>

> -----
> Regards,
>
> BrianS

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

BrianS
That would have to be 1 screen per pi.  Although, it is possible afaik to install another type of screen to the pi, a 7 inc touch screen that uses different ports on the pi.  But that would make it almost impossible to install the one I have at the same time.
 I think on the Pi2 model b you had the option of connecting 3 different types of screens, but not all at the same time.

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B

Pete, using one just for the relay, I think would really be a waste of resources and money - my opinion though.  It takes so little processor and memory, that you really can run a 3'rd of your disposition on this 'primary pi'.

If you use 3 in this way, you would have 6 channel audio, and once you have heard it, you would not really see just plain 'stereo' in the same light again. More channels for your audio, makes a real difference.  I will investigate if it is possible to get multi-channel audio out of a single raspberry pi - I think it should be.  The USB soundcard I have, has 5.1 surrond, so it should have at least 4 channels.  If you install 2 of these cards on one Pi, you have 8 audio channels, which would eliminate the need for any more Pi's - meaning one Pi can to the job, and still give you up to 8 channels of audio.

I will however have to call upon the experts in this field, as I think one would have to use Jack Audio connection kit, in the setup, and I don't really know how to do this.