Quantcast

Question about USB Soundcards

Are there any jOrgan users out there who have had success with jOrgan in using a USB soundcard with multiple audio outputs? I recently bought such a soundcard, with various audio output sockets, and my initial attempt had it working O.K. on my Windows 7 computer on a stereo pair, but the various channels did not show up in the Fluidsynth properties. For starters, I’m not asking what I may be doing wrong. I would simply like to hear from people who have had success, and who will post a short description of what their successful set-up is. This will at least show that it is possible. I would like to do something along these lines later in the year.

Re: Question about USB Soundcards

Eric’s conclusion to his tutorial on the use of Reaper along with VST Reverbs seems relevant to what this tread is trying to establish:
"ASIO does not support multiple FluidSynth instances (and) the FluidSynth extension in jOrgan does not support multichannel audio (beyond stereo). WDMKS (multichannel audio cards only) and WASAPI (single- and multichannel audio cards) do support multiple instances of FluidSynth, but I know of no method to add reverberation with these drivers other than what FluidSynth provides.”

I wonder if Eric or Graham or someone else can expand this conclusion for me, because I am not  altogether clear on what it is saying. I assume that the first sentence should have added at the end, “unless you use WASAPI”. Regarding WDMKS, is it true that it supports multiple instances of Fluidsynth? (I had the impression that of the Fluidsynth extensions, only WASAPI does that).

On the matter of ASIO, I take it that multiple audio outputs can be achieved, but not with multiple instances of Fluidsynth. Some other soundengine, compatible with ASIO, along with multiple soundfonts, is needed for multichannel audio, if ASIO is used.  Is this correct? I should also point out that not all soundcards will work with ASIO, as I think I have found out to my cost with my recent purchase of such an animal. Fortunately it did not cost me very much.

I really would appreciate some clarification of these matters, when you have time.

Console available

shaneperch
  Hello all.    I have a very LARGE baldwin drawknob console that has three manuals and full size pedal board. that needs to be gutted and midified    it does NOT have the carbon key switches  and has three expression pedals and a few toe studs on the pedal board.     I want this to go to a good home and it is FREE  just come and get it   I am near Springfield mo.    the rolltop needs to be fixed   I can gut it for you if you want.  It is a BEAST