Question about Fluidsynth backends

In a few days I shall be visiting a friend who I set up with MyOrgan and jOrgan many years ago. He has an old Windows XP, and its CPU is probably not very fast by today’s standards. I want to install jOrgan 3.20 and some of the later dispositions.

In his case, am I likely to gain any latency advantage if I also install Fluidsynth backends?

Re: Question about Fluidsynth backends

Chris P
John

I have been using an SFF HP desktop computer 3Ghz Intel 250 dual core running windows XP Sp3, with minimum software, for a number of years now with the Jack Audio backend and had absolutely no problems. The dispositions I have used have been the maximum allowable in a single sf2 file.

There are a number posts regarding this subject on the forum.

Regards
Chris P
Location: West Yorkshire, UK

Re: Question about Fluidsynth backends

Thank you to all who have responded to my question. I have to report that so far, only Chris's has made it into the Nabble Forum. I've read Paul Kealy's and GrahamG's, only because I have begun to read the mailing list Digests, which I receive in my Email Inbox. I have already reported this and other problems to SourceForge, but have yet to receive an answer.

My friend, although highly qualified academically, is not very good with computers, although he can follow simple instructions. There is no external soundcard (the excellent Soundblaster I installed years ago stopped working) and the onboard sound is very satisfactory. I shall install the 32-bit "ALL" Fluidsynth backend, but am a bit hazy about it, even although I use it successfully on my console Windows 8.1. I need to keep everything as simple as possible, because my friend lives on the other side of Sydney, and getting there is quite an effort if something goes wrong or he can't manage it.

Graham, is there anything else I have to do after installing "ALL" and selecting it in the Configuration window? I assume that "ALL" loads all the backend possibilities, but is there anything else for me to do except make a selection in the Fluidsynth Properties Audio driver cell?

Re: Question about Fluidsynth backends

John Reimer wrote
Graham, is there anything else I have to do after installing "ALL" and selecting it in the Configuration window? I assume that "ALL" loads all the backend possibilities, but is there anything else for me to do except make a selection in the Fluidsynth Properties Audio driver cell?
Hi all,

Graham's reply made it into the mailing list, but not the Forum. Here is its text:

"Hi John,

With the "All" PortAudio backend package installed and configured for use in jOrgan,
when you're in the Fluidsynth element configuration you are presented with the full
list of available driver connections. So you'll have dsound, wdm-ks, and if you're
got ASIO4ALL already installed for use with MyOrgan you'll also get ASIO.
Unfortunately, the name of the driver connection typically won't tell you what
driver backend is being used, as the drivers get the name from within the windows
driver layer. So you'll need to experiment with each one listed and choose what
works best.

Kind regards
GrahamG"

Many thanks, Graham.