Proposed Website

Having released what will be my last jOrgan VPO for quite some time, I want
now to do something about increasing jOrgan’s presence on the Internet, in
the hope that this may help to make jOrgan better known, and may encourage
more organ-lovers to discover its many outstanding features for themselves.
My plan is to set up a website, which will entail some ongoing cost for me
personally.  Although I already have a small and amateurish website which
does not involve cost, inasmuch as my ISP provides a limited space of 200 MB
to host it, I think that a new separate website is called for, which would
include “jorgan” in its domain name.

The proposed website would be rather limited in its content. I plan mainly
to guide prospective users to sources of information already in existence,
basically by providing the appropriate web links along with helpful
comments. So I shall be trying to make it easier for people to start using
jOrgan and to develop their use beyond the bare essentials, should they wish
to do that. There would be a “Gallery” to show the appearance of some
existing jOrgan installations, and also to include some audio files. There
would also be a FAQ section. But I do not envisage the hosting of a forum of
any sort. However, I plan to use the website to host the jOrgan Wiki (Bernd
has agreed to this), so that its data can be added to, when desired.

I would appreciate your comments and ideas.

Specifically, because I have only very limited ability when it comes to
constructing web pages, I have taken preliminary steps to make use of
Website Builders and its hosting provisions and other resources. Please
advise me, either in a reply post or in a personal message, whether or not
you think this is a good idea to commit to one of their hosting plans etc.

Re: Proposed Website

morcc

Firstly, thank you for your efforts.

Some reflections from a long-time, but not very expert, jOrgan user.  It has been no problem to find, and to use, jOrgan and numerous dispositions as long as no complications such as stop action magnets, alternative MIDI communication methods, multiple displays, or the like are needed.  What has puzzled me most is sifting through archived material to find solutions for specific non-bsic problems.  Perhaps I have somehow missed the great master index that puts in order all that is known and has been discussed, but if not,  I would appreciate such.  Search engines are great if you know the terms that were used in a given discussion or the dates upon which they were used, but if one is approaching a problem from ignorance, one may know neither such terms or dates.

Bill

Re: Proposed Website

JohnB,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a long post. I am replying to it
here in the thread to which it belongs, and particularly to these words:

/People like us, who “tinker” seriously with the whole spectrum of sound
production, recording or synthesizing organ sounds, organ soundbank/font
creation and the creation of organ specifications (dispositions in jOrgan)
are in a realm of our own with respect to the end goal of playing an organ.
The “end goal” is, after all, what it is all about./

Perhaps we differ as to what the “end goal" is. I am a strong believer in
being inclusive. I think that many of mankind’s problems can be traced to
what is sometimes called “tribalism” (if I can put it that way in the
context of jOrgan discussion, without sounding too solemn or pretentious). I
acknowledge that jOrgan comes into its own for people “like us” etc., but I
want to include run-of-the-mill people who have a deep understanding of what
good pipe organs really sound like (especially closeup - truly a unique
musical and aesthetic experience), and are denied being able to hear and
experience what VPO’s have to offer, either because they cannot afford it,
or they lack the technical knowledge or the necessary ease with computers to
make this possible for them.

I have never made any secret of the fact that I actually think jOrgan  is
the BEST of the VPO options (I know that many will disagree, for all sorts
of good reasons), and so I am driven by the desire to improve it even more,
and to make it available to as many people as possible. I do think that some
kind of jOrgan website, which can make the jOrgan Wiki more useful, and can
help guide people through the relevant parts of it, is an important part of
that “end goal”.

Re: Proposed Website

jbeach2646
John R., I agree with you, but you did not mention at all either the
resource or the value of the Tutorials by Bill Skees.  Do you think that
some kind of systematic abbreviation of those, to include basic installation
of Java Runtime, jOrgan versions, the importance of 32 and 64-bit
distinctions, issues with Audio Buffers and Sizes, polyphony and sound
output, dispositions available at links, (avoiding altogether the more
complex issues of soundfont creation and disposition creation from
"scratch," )  in a more condensed version of the Tutorials is necessary to
get people "up and running?"

I just put in a "Google Search"  for "free virtual organ programs".   The
first ten results would direct NO ONE to jOrgan.  They would direct people
to the programs which cost money.  Apparently, "Google"
does not understand the term "free" as "cost free."   The links at
www.theatreorgans.com\walnuthill  does mention jOrgan but is, largely,
dedicated to Miditzer.

I think one of the great difficulties with the world-wide web is that fact
that somewhere in the vastness of cyberspace, there may be that for which a
person is looking, but getting an address for the
website, even from search engines, may prevent finding what is sought after.
If your proposed website can overcome this hurdle, you may generate interest
and users.

Re: Proposed Website

jbeach2646 wrote

> John R., I agree with you, but you did not mention at all either the
> resource or the value of the Tutorials by Bill Skees.  Do you think that
> some kind of systematic abbreviation of those, to include basic
> installation of Java Runtime, jOrgan versions, the importance of 32 and
> 64-bit distinctions, issues with Audio Buffers and Sizes, polyphony and
> sound output, dispositions available at links, (avoiding altogether the
> more complex issues of soundfont creation and disposition creation from
> "scratch," )  in a more condensed version of the Tutorials is necessary to
> get people "up and running?"
>
> I just put in a "Google Search"  for "free virtual organ programs".   The
> first ten results would direct NO ONE to jOrgan.

JohnB,

Thank you. Bill's work is already on my list of the things to be linked to.
And suggestions such as this are things I depend on. The other matters are
actually in my mind to include, even if not yet written down. My hope is
that when the time comes, others may write part of the text instead of
leaving it all to me, as I do want team-work to be more of our jOrgan
culture, plus the fact that they may know more about it than I do.

Re the Google Search, if the words "virtual pipe organ" were to exist
somewhere on the home page of the new website, as I intend them to be, I
think that jOrgan would have turned up fairly early in your particular
search.