Problems with temperaments

anhu
Hello,

I tried to change the temperament/tuning but I do not know how to do.
If I load the PiteaHMS organ, in the construction mode there is the possibility to choose between several temperament.
"Equal" is connected to the messages: set 176, set 101, set 0; set 176, set 100, set 3, set 176, set 6 set 0.
"Bach-Lehman" is connected to the messages: set 176, set 101, set 0; set 176, set 100, set 3, set 176, set 6 set 2
This is also valid for the temperament "Valotti".
For "Meantone" it is: set 176, set 101, set 0; set 176, set 100, set 3, set 176, set 6 set 3

I must say that these number "falls from the sky". I do not know, why Meantone ist "3", whereas "Equal" is "0" and Bach-Lehman and Valotti is "2".

It is possible for me to add a new temperatment. But I do not know how to "activate" it or assing to C, C#, D, D#, E, F, F#, G, G#, A, A#, B the cent-value I would like to use.

It is not possible to look at list of temperaments or to change or add an temperament. I think it is misleading if there is menu, the user has no opportunities to change or add anything.
After laoding the PiteaHMS-organ the fluid tunigs list is already empty!

I read, that there is possibilty to change the temperaments in fluidsynth.
I tried to download fluidsynth for windows but I only get some dll-Files, no executables. It seems that I have the wrong operation system.
Furthermore I use a german windows version and jorgan hast german menus. This makes it difficult to follow, simulate and understand what is written  in the forum.
The activity in the german forum is almost zero.
It seems that I have the wrong operation system, the wrong language.
Additionally I miss a guide for beginners.

Every help is appreciated

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Problems with temperaments

pcstratman
The Fluidsynth that you need is already included in the jOrgan download package.

The numbers in the switch filters (the numbers that "fall from the sky") are assigned by the builder and reference the temperaments in the order they appear in Fluidsynth tunings.

To make changes, or to look inside to see how it works, go to "View" and select "Fluid Tunings." Then under "Elements" select the Fluidsynth sound engine. (In my dispositions, I always put the Fluidsynth sound engine in a group "Sound Source(s)")

Then the list of temeraments and the integers for each note of the scale should appear. If the Fluidsynth sound element is not clicked, the Fluid Tunings window will appear blank.

By clicking "add" (the three +++ on the upper right of the Fluid Tunings window) a menu will appear with many predefined tunings. Many historic tunings are included. In Fluid Tunings, "0" (the first position) is always the default tuning. You can change temperament by changing the temperament in the "0" default position, or make a switch filter that will apply a different temperament.

To learn more about temperaments and to find some that are not listed in the predefined tunings, I highly recommend the page at Dolmetsch.com http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory27.htm

Re: Problems with temperaments

Thanks Paul,

I was wondering how to explain this best :)

Sven