Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

12

Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Just a quick note to say that I bought myself as Raspberry Pi 3B and
have jOrgan 3.21b installed and running with JACK and Zita-Tev1
reverb, being played from a MIDI console running Windows and sending
MIDI through jOrgan LAN to the Pi. I added a cheap USB soundcard for
clearer sound.

So far I'm really impressed :)

I'm considering creating a jOrgan Pi image that would be much like
jOrgan Pup - coming pre-loaded with a whole lot of jOrgan dispositions
preconfigured for this environment. Would there be any interest in
something like this?

Kind regards,

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Andrew Larkham
Hi Graham,
I have been thinking about trying the Pi solution for a single manual organ
I am planning.
All the software plus a  'how to' guide from those who have done it would be
very welcome!!

KRs
Andy

Just a quick note to say that I bought myself as Raspberry Pi 3B and have
jOrgan 3.21b installed and running with JACK and Zita-Tev1 reverb, being
played from a MIDI console running Windows and sending MIDI through jOrgan
LAN to the Pi. I added a cheap USB soundcard for clearer sound.

So far I'm really impressed :)

I'm considering creating a jOrgan Pi image that would be much like jOrgan
Pup - coming pre-loaded with a whole lot of jOrgan dispositions
preconfigured for this environment. Would there be any interest in something
like this?

Kind regards,

---
http://www.avg.com

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Chester Berry
Graham,

My Pi 3 and Hifiberry sound card arrived recently.
I would be most interested in something like this.

Best regards,
/s/Chester H Berry

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Don A
Graham,

I would very much appreciate a jOrgan Pi image. Over the past week I
have been striking out with Raspbian but started to make headway when I
changed to Ubuntu Mate. Even though I don't have Fluidsynth going yet
Mate already seems too slow for using with jOrgan. For me it would be
easy just to forget Pi and use regular motherboards but with a little
help you will change my opinion I'm sure.

Thanks,
Don.

On 4/24/2017 9:27 AM, Graham Goode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note to say that I bought myself as Raspberry Pi 3B and
> have jOrgan 3.21b installed and running with JACK and Zita-Tev1
> reverb, being played from a MIDI console running Windows and sending
> MIDI through jOrgan LAN to the Pi. I added a cheap USB soundcard for
> clearer sound.
>
> So far I'm really impressed :)
>
> I'm considering creating a jOrgan Pi image that would be much like
> jOrgan Pup - coming pre-loaded with a whole lot of jOrgan dispositions
> preconfigured for this environment. Would there be any interest in
> something like this?
>
> Kind regards,
> GrahamG

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

erikds
Hello Graham,

If you can do what you propose, that would be a great help.
Count me in on trying it on my Raspberry Pi 3B.

All the best.

Erik.
-----------------------------
Graham Goode wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Just a quick note to say that I bought myself as Raspberry Pi 3B and
> have jOrgan 3.21b installed and running with JACK and Zita-Tev1
> reverb, being played from a MIDI console running Windows and sending
> MIDI through jOrgan LAN to the Pi. I added a cheap USB soundcard for
> clearer sound.
>
> So far I'm really impressed :)
>
> I'm considering creating a jOrgan Pi image that would be much like
> jOrgan Pup - coming pre-loaded with a whole lot of jOrgan dispositions
> preconfigured for this environment. Would there be any interest in
> something like this?
>
> Kind regards,
> GrahamG

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Graham,

Please add me to the list of interested persons.

John Reimer.

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

greenfox
Hi Graham

I would be interested in it also. I have a few Raspberry Pi's I am using for work experimentation.

With a few other things on my plate at the moment I haven't tried jOrgan yet.

On 25 Apr. 2017 4:35 am, "John Reimer" <[hidden email]> wrote:
Graham,

Please add me to the list of interested persons.

John Reimer.

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Paul Kealy
Go for it, Graham, and post to me on your list.
I am almost ready to get into Raspberry Pi and
for the jOrgan platform: four (or five) manual
theatre/symphonic organ, pedals, 2 touch screens
and dual Delta 1010LTs powering 16 speakers.

pk
StentorVox.com

Monday, April 24, 2017, 6:28:23 AM PDT, Graham Goode wrote:

<snip>
I bought myself as Raspberry Pi 3B and have jOrgan
3.21b installed and running... MIDI console running
Windowsand sending MIDI through jOrgan LAN to the Pi.
I added a cheap USB soundcard for clearer sound.

So far I'm really impressed :)

I'm considering creating a jOrgan Pi image that would be much likejOrgan Pup - coming pre-loaded with a whole lot
of jOrgan dispositions preconfigured for this environment.

Would there be any interest in something like this?

<snip>

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Peter Hanlon
Thanks Graham,

You suggested to me a year or so ago that a Tiny 3.2 would do a useful job beyond a normal Arduino for the production of MIDI, and that was pretty right. The Raspberry Pi seems a smart idea to get rid of the Windows end of it. The whole organ control complex could just about fit in a chocolate box…

Peter Hanlon

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Thanks for all the feedback so far!

I will be working on this during this week then, and will keep you all
updated with progress.

Kind regards,

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

grahamg wrote
I bought myself as Raspberry Pi 3B and
have jOrgan 3.21b installed and running with JACK and Zita-Tev1
reverb, being played from a MIDI console running Windows and sending
MIDI through jOrgan LAN to the Pi. I added a cheap USB soundcard for
clearer sound.
Graham,

That is exactly what I am interested in doing.
Do you have it working without having to have a monitor operating with the Pi?

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Paul Kealy
Counfused I am

Sounds like what I want to accomplish.
But from the seminar I attended that was a woeful
experience with nothing about MIDI music applications,

I got the imoression it is EITHER Windows OR Raspberry Pi.
Do your MIDI triggers transmit via LAN simultaneously and both systems process them individually?

If I tour the instrument I would not use LAN, so I would need some way to combine the output signals into a single output

I would like to drive two 24" touch screens (each consisting of a monitor output and a USB touch screen connector) and power 2 Delta 1010LT soundcards that each connect to 8 speaker amps.

Would you suggest I install two Raspberry Pi 3B units - each connected to its own monitor and Delta Soundcard - and daisy-chain them,

-OR-

would one board be able to handle all of the above with multiple keyboards plugged into it?

I wonder if I run several MIDI keyboards, pedalboard, swell pedals, etc. into separate boards how I can link them to look at the same j-organ software for a single complete organ.

I wish to record and playback MID files from a single self-contained organ, and wonder if Raspberry Pi is up to it.

Final need to power:

2 monitor screens
2 touchscreen USB connectors for above
4 MIDI keyboards
32 pedals
expression pedal
swell pedal
stoptabs

Am I better off to simply stick with Windows and abandon Pi on this particular console?

I have another 2-manual console that may simply run Pi itself and forget Windows.

pk
StentorVox.com

__/  __/  __/  __/  __/  __/  __/  __/  __/  __/

On Wednesday, April 26, 2017, 6:30:40 PM PDT, John Reimer <[hidden email]> wrote:

Graham G wrote
> I bought myself a Raspberry Pi 3B and
> have jOrgan 3.21b installed and running
> with JACK and Zita-Tev reverb,
> being played from a MIDI console
> running Windows and sending MIDI
> through jOrgan LAN to the Pi.
> I added a cheap USB soundcard for clearer sound.

Graham,

That is exactly what I am interested in doing.
Do you have it working without having to have a monitor operating with the Pi?

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Yes, on initial loading of the operating system I plugged it into our HDMI TV and set up the VNC connection. Now I run the Raspberry Pi without keyboard, mouse, or monitor, and remote login from my laptop.

grahamg wrote

Bob

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Bob
Hi every body,

Some years ago (end 2015), I worked on an adaptation of JOrgan for Raspberry (jOrgan 3.21 for Pi2), but after while, I had some other topics to address.
Few days ago, I came back on the subject with a Raspberry pi 3B.

My configuration is : Rpi3 connected on the midi output of my organ and a sound card HifiBerry DAC+ Pro.
I run that through ssh/X11 from a 10" laptop.
It works just fine, except concerning disposition set up : the loading time for any disposition is about 1 mn !.
The processor is then used at 100% !

An other touchy problem for me is to set up Jack in order to minimize latency and hanging.

It seems that there is a JOrgan 3.21b : is it possible to have it ?

Regards,
Bob
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Bob

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

grahamg wrote
I plugged it into our HDMI TV and set up the VNC connection. Now I run the Raspberry Pi without keyboard, mouse, or monitor, and remote login from my laptop.
Graham,

Many thanks. I did not anticipate such a jOrgan use when my wife and I bought our “smart” TV!
How hard is it to set up the VNC connection (which I had never heard of until I read of it in your post)? Is this something that has to be done in addition to using jOrgan LAN?

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Pete Theisen
The smart TV is touch screen?

On 04/27/2017 07:30 AM, John Reimer wrote:

> grahamg wrote
>> I plugged it into our HDMI TV and set up the VNC connection. Now I run the
>> Raspberry Pi without keyboard, mouse, or monitor, and remote login from my
>> laptop.
>
> Graham,
>
> Many thanks. I did not anticipate such a jOrgan use when my wife and I
> bought our “smart” TV!
> How hard is it to set up the VNC connection (which I had never heard of
> until I read of it in your post)? Is this something that has to be done in
> addition to using jOrgan LAN?
>
> John Reimer

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Hi Paul,

On 4/27/17, Paul Kealy <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Counfused I am
> Sounds like what I want to accomplish.But from the seminar I attended that
> was a woeful experience with nothing about MIDI music applications,
> I got the imoression it is EITHER Windows OR Raspberry Pi.Do your MIDI
> triggers transmit via LAN simultaneously and both systems process them
> individually?

My MIDI console is connected to a Windows PC usually running Hautpwerk
and EastWest Symphonic Orchestra (and bunch of other things). I have
configured a jOrgan disposition that takes those MIDI inputs and sends
them out over jOrgan LAN.

This is because I don't want to unplug all the USB MIDI cables, etc.,
as the main user of the MIDI console is my husband (who is a church
organist).

I could connect all four MIDI/USB devices to the Raspberry Pi using a
powered USB hub connection.

> If I tour the instrument I would not use LAN, so I would need some way to
> combine the output signals into a single output
>
> I would like to drive two 24" touch screens (each consisting of a monitor
> output and a USB touch screen connector) and power 2 Delta 1010LT soundcards
> that each connect to 8 speaker amps.
> Would you suggest I install two Raspberry Pi 3B units - each connected to
> its own monitor and Delta Soundcard - and daisy-chain them,
> -OR-

As far as I know, there is no way to connect the Delta 1010LT
soundcards (I assume that they're PCI cards? There are no PCI ports on
a Raspberry Pi). The Raspberry Pi has a single HDMI connector for the
display. We're all using USB soundcards...

> would one board be able to handle all of the above with multiple keyboards
> plugged into it?
> I wonder if I run several MIDI keyboards, pedalboard, swell pedals, etc.
> into separate boards how I can link them to look at the same j-organ
> software for a single complete organ.

Wireless networking or wired networking and jOrgan LAN would be the
only way to bring multiple boards to play together.

> I wish to record and playback MID files from a single self-contained organ,
> and wonder if Raspberry Pi is up to it.
>
>  Final need to power:
> 2 monitor screens2 touchscreen USB connectors for above4 MIDI keyboards32
> pedalsexpression pedalswell pedalstoptabs
>
> Am I better off to simply stick with Windows and abandon Pi on this
> particular console?
> I have another 2-manual console that may simply run Pi itself and forget
> Windows.

As you're wanting to run two touch screens and use both Delta 1010
cards your only option is a PC. And Windows7 has the better set of
drivers for the Delta 1010 cards so I'd recommend that you go that
route for this console.  The other 2M/P console would be a better
candidate for a Raspberry Pi.

Are things getting a little clearer? If not, ask some questions :)

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

> How hard is it to set up the VNC connection (which I had never heard of
> until I read of it in your post)? Is this something that has to be done in
> addition to using jOrgan LAN?

Very simple, load the Raspberry Pi Configuration app, and select the
VNC option. The VNC backend then loads and configures itself and
displays a page that shows the local network address. That address is
then used in the VNC viewer app on my PC or iPad. See
https://www.realvnc.com/raspberrypi/

I use this because I don't (yet) have the 10" Touch HDMI device
(needed to wait for payday before ordering that!).

The HDMI TV is in the lounge and that is far away from my study - so I
set up the VNC link, then unplugged the Raspberry Pi and took it back
to my study and plugged it in next to my laptop. The remote login of
VNC then allows me to virtually use my laptop to show the Pi screen,
and use my laptop keyboard/mouse etc..

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Hi Pete,

On 4/27/17, Pete Theisen <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The smart TV is touch screen?

No, it's a large screen smart TV with an HDMI connection. Now that I
have the remote login configured I no longer plug it into the TV. I'm
currently using the VNC app on my iPad for controlling Stops when I
play...

GG

Re: Playing with a Raspberry Pi 3B

Paul Kealy
Thanx - for a quickie response here as I'm away from home office nad on the run, SOmething to think about.

I have both 1010LTs together terminating in a USB connector in a special case - I'll send you a photo - set up here for a brand new Win 7 computer I got 2 years ago specifically for this purpose and never used it (yet). When I read so m uch of the Pi, I thought I might use that for this console.

I had figured a powered USB multi-hub connector to power the two touch screen plugs.

Mo later.

pk