Quantcast

Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

12

Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

eagles051387
I have the forums setup and I would like to phase out this mailing list.

At this point I'm still trying to figure the best way to do this.

If anyone has any suggestions do let me know.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

RoyR
Hi, Jonathon,

                     I think Bernd covered this in some detail. Apparently only Sven can close this list, all we can do is make people aware of the new one and encourage them to move.

On 26 August 2016 at 15:59, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
I have the forums setup and I would like to phase out this mailing list.

At this point I'm still trying to figure the best way to do this.

If anyone has any suggestions do let me know.

Sent from my iPhone

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Laurent Leblanc
How do we get on the new list?
Maybe I missed an email somewhere?

Ron

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Ron
I personally like seeing new posts in an email so perhaps we could opt for some kind of notification rather than having to remember to check the site each day?

Ron Biddle
Sent from my iPad

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

RoyR
   Hi, Jonathon,

                             I didn't notice that one but guessed it must be an option somewhere.

  Regarding my previous remark, which maybe came over a little more sarky than intended, inevitably it HAS to be your way or the highway in the long run, (Actually I already prefer your way, it's much more logical than this list it makes no sense to maintain both lists. As I said, timescale is the real issue. When that time is up, I suppose the first step is to freeze this list to new posts.

   What will then become of the previous ones? Will this list be left as an archive or will the old posts be moved to the new forum?

On 26 August 2016 at 19:21, Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> wrote:
When you post you can check a box to be notified of replies

Sent from my iPhone

On 26 Aug 2016, at 19:57, Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:

I personally like seeing new posts in an email so perhaps we could opt for some kind of notification rather than having to remember to check the site each day?

Ron Biddle
Sent from my iPad

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Paul Kealy
Further question:

Since I have more than a couple dozen folders housed in the J-Organ architecture where I have placed hundreds of posts over the years dealing with necessary research files, will these suddenly disappear at a whosh of somebody's command button?

Must I remove my contents from all these folders and transfer them one by one to word files to add to my larger organ archives or risk losing them altogether?

Perhaps my intense organ effort is finally coming to an end.

I have enrolled in the new list if that solves anything.

Still, I wonder if it will provide the ease of the previous one to receive all posts and read or delete or respond at will.

pk
Stentorvox.com

- - -  August 26, 2016 11:57 AM Roy Radford wrote:  - - -
<snip>
When that time is up, I suppose the first step is to freeze this list to new posts. What will then become of the previous ones? Will this list be left as an archive or will the old posts be moved to the new forum?
<snip>

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

We need to first know what the new site will be so we can get registered and receive the postings on the new forum.  Until then, please keep this mailing list forum going.

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Brian & Pat Stone

Ron Biddle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I personally like seeing new posts in an email so perhaps we could opt
> for some kind of notification rather than having to remember to check
> the site each day?

and Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> replied:

>> When you post you can check a box to be notified of replies

All this seems to assume that everybody reads email in Outlook, or a
browser, or similar.  Jon also assumes that if you don't post in a forum
you aren't interested in it.

I strongly prefer an old-fashioned text-only mailer.  Nothing else can
cope with the incoming volume in affordable time.  So I would like to
be able to set a flag in <forum1> and <forum3>, say, and get one daily
summary saying only

  jOrgan forums:
  n1 posts in <forum1>
  n3 posts in <forum3>

Would that suit you too, Ron?

Cheers

Ron

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Ron
That would be ok, but I presently do not use digest mode on any lists...just get individual emails as they are sent and delete any I don't want to keep after I read them. If you get digest you would have to keep either all or none, wouldn't you?

Ron
Sent from my iPad

> On Aug 26, 2016, at 10:10 PM, Brian & Pat Stone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> Ron Biddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I personally like seeing new posts in an email so perhaps we could opt
>> for some kind of notification rather than having to remember to check
>> the site each day?
> and Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> replied:
>
>>> When you post you can check a box to be notified of replies
>
> All this seems to assume that everybody reads email in Outlook, or a
> browser, or similar.  Jon also assumes that if you don't post in a forum
> you aren't interested in it.
>
> I strongly prefer an old-fashioned text-only mailer.  Nothing else can
> cope with the incoming volume in affordable time.  So I would like to
> be able to set a flag in <forum1> and <forum3>, say, and get one daily
> summary saying only
>
>    jOrgan forums:
>    n1 posts in <forum1>
>    n3 posts in <forum3>
>
> Would that suit you too, Ron?
>
> Cheers
>    Brian.

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Jonathan,

There is already a scammer on the new Forum.
I am offering to be a moderator if it will enable me to remove such posts quickly, given that I am in a different time zone to many users.

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

eagles051387
Yep that would be the case. Another thing I can do is migrate the list.

Sent from my iPhone

> On 27 Aug 2016, at 04:17, Ron <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> That would be ok, but I presently do not use digest mode on any lists...just get individual emails as they are sent and delete any I don't want to keep after I read them. If you get digest you would have to keep either all or none, wouldn't you?
>
> Ron
> Sent from my iPad
>
>> On Aug 26, 2016, at 10:10 PM, Brian & Pat Stone <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Ron Biddle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> I personally like seeing new posts in an email so perhaps we could opt
>>> for some kind of notification rather than having to remember to check
>>> the site each day?
>> and Jonathan Aquilina <[hidden email]> replied:

>> All this seems to assume that everybody reads email in Outlook, or a
>> browser, or similar.  Jon also assumes that if you don't post in a forum
>> you aren't interested in it.
>>
>> I strongly prefer an old-fashioned text-only mailer.  Nothing else can
>> cope with the incoming volume in affordable time.  So I would like to
>> be able to set a flag in <forum1> and <forum3>, say, and get one daily
>> summary saying only
>>
>>   jOrgan forums:
>>   n1 posts in <forum1>
>>   n3 posts in <forum3>
>>
>> Would that suit you too, Ron?
>>
>> Cheers
>>   Brian.

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Pete Theisen
If you do migrate the list, see if you can find out who is "moderating"
me and get him or her to cut it out. The last two posts I posted didn't
make it, haven't made it yet, and there was absolutely nothing wrong
with them.

If they are going to moderate me, they need to be available to read
(censor) my stuff 24/7 because the people who are not being moderated
get their posts up in a timely fashion. Fair is fair!

I am OFFENDED by being unfairly moderated, to put it another way.

There also needs to be more of a reason to moderate me than they don't
understand my jokes, or don't think they are funny. I posted a joke one
time (from "The Onion", a satire site) and I had this guy going off that
I was "a liar and a stupid fool". The joke was germane to the
conversation at the time, but with the "English as a second language"
problem he never got it. Still doesn't get it - and he is one of the
moderators - who doesn't understand satire in English.

You also have to consider that American and British culture is quite a
bit different from the Euro culture. Yanks and Brits think "The Onion"
is quite funny . . .

https://www.facebook.com/pete.theisen.5

Re: Phasing out of mailing list and moving to forums

Jonathan,

OK, you got one of that spammer's posts, but not the one called "valtrex order" under Other.

John Reimer
12